It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can I 'sense' something like a wall or door when i am in complete darkness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I am not sure where to put this post but I have searched the internet and haven't found an answer so I thought perhaps others have experienced what I have.
Every since I was a small child I have been able to sense the presence of anything if it is near me even in pitch black.
I can be sound asleep in a totally dark room and wake up and know I am about a foot from the wall (I can tell if I am facing the wall or the open room) I can sense it even if my eyes are closed.
I have never mentioned this to anyone before.
Just last night I got up to go to the toilet and was sleeping in our computer room that even has Styrofoam over the windows to keep out all light for a home theater projector. The door to the bathroom is always left open but as I moved towards it in the pitch black room, I 'felt the door's presence' when I was about 1 foot away and stopped and I am so used to it I just wondered as I reached out to open it "wonder why the door is closed part way"
It's not my breathing noise that I subconsciously hear 'bouncing off it' as the room is so noisy with a loud fan you can't hear anything else! (I like the fan noise to sleep).
I first remember this when I was very young and thought it was completely the norm and maybe it is, but the fact that I have never walked into a door or wall in the dark makes me wonder.
Is this normal Does anyone else have this ability
To describe it is very hard, it is almost like I can feel a solid dark mass near me (like I said, even with my eyes closed) so I am hoping others know what I am talking about.
By the way, as a lot on here knows I am very skeptical about the paranormal and my sister who died a few years ago said she saw spirits that manifested to her and said she would see and communicate with spirits that 'looked like' family and friends that was dead but she told me they were 'familiar spirits' and not "real ghosts".
I only mention my sister's experiences to say that I don't have the same abilities.
What do you guys and gals think
(Sorry, about the punctuation as I just noticed my 'question mark' isn't showing up, must need new keyboard!)
edit on 13-1-2013 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
It is just your spidey sense. Be happy you take notice of it, most have it educated out of their reality.

Give it a minute and the science gurus should be here to try to educate it out of your reality. They don't have it so obviously you can't either.

P

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
My guess would be we all have an energy field (an aura, if you will) that extends a foot or so away from our bodies, and as you approach something, it warns you. Kinda like a body version of bat's sonar.

It'd be fun to test by being in a strange room, completely blindfolded and in total darkness, and 'map' it out as to doors, walls, windows, etc.

If you're only going by rooms you're familiar with, it's not a good test of some kind of unusual ability and obviously could just be familiarity.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Maybe you obsessivly check for an object.

then you only remember when your right and not when your wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Actually its pretty funny.

I am able to sense this too but after having discussed it with a blind lady she actually made it really obvious. There are subtle things that are dulled when our other senses at work. We have fine hairs all over our body. We can feel the air circulation with these hairs and the mind can navigate a room by the air circulation that is basically subconscious. When our other senses cant detect objects and walls and stuff, our brains utilize this which is basically your sense of touch on steroids. Just like when people lose there sight they get much better hearing

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Are you in the middle of nowhere in natural darkness in side no building.?, Or did you enter a room via a door and sat down and then darkness....?

I can be in any type of darkness and if I have been in that place i seem to retain past information on to the surroundings and sense most objects doors walls and other things.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I think it has to do with something like 'muscle memory'. As in you are aware of your natural surroundings.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I don't know if this is related somehow but I can sense an object if placed an inch or two right over my forehead, I actually get like a tingly sensation in my brain. It seems to work especially well with a long pointed object like a pencil, after a few seconds I will start to feel it without even touching it. And the sensation lingers in my brain after I move the object away. Do you get any sensation when sensing any object in your way? And if so, where exactly?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Hi and snap! :-D when i was a kid,i would sometimes pretend i was blind,and walk around with my eyes closed to see how well i could manage.Ive always felt the close proximity of walls and furniture too.More disturbingly,i couldnt fall asleep in the dark in a certain room in our house.When my adoptive mother's adult son left to live in an apartment,i was delighted to have his room,but i could Not sleep with the light off in there.I would soon feel a presence looming over me,as real as a person's physical presence.That house was actually full of spirits,and my old bedroom+the kitchen were the only places i felt remotely comfortable,though never 100%.The house was built over a small very old graveyard,right next to an old deconsecrated church.My father found an antique buried glass bottle,those with an elliptical shaped bottom, while working in his veg garden,and he once unearthed a human skull.I digress but yeah i used to have that too,when i was a kid.And to this day,i sense a present spirit/entity,its the same as when you feel a real person watching you,only i always get a really weird sensation in my throat to go with it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I have this ability to some degree aswell, going to agree on the comment above concluding it to be your aura.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

do you still feel in the dark if there are no sounds/noises at all? Or do you need to make a noise like clicking? I can only guess you are naturally disposed toward echolocation. Seeing with sounds, i mean "echo". Which is used by some humans especially blind people. human echolocation

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
First of all, it's unlikely you are in "total darkness" and you are not completely devoid of "night vision," though it takes about a half hour in darkness to build up. The chemical that does this is called "Visual Purple." You might test this out. When you first go to bed and the lights are freshly out, you can't see worth beans, but if you get up in the middle of the night, when it is at its darkest, you can make out a sufficient number of shadows not to bump into things, besides which, you know there are obstacles in your path it would be best to avoid. So the first issue is that it's not really 100% dark, and after awhile your eyes are going to take advantage of every spec of ambient light there is in the room to help you out. not as good as a cat, but not totally bereft of vision either.

Second, in terms of sensing walls and doors, there is a temperature variation close to them you may be feeling. It's either going to be a tiny bit colder or a tiny bit warmer closer to a wall. With doors you are going to feel and pressure differential due to slight drafts beneath the door itself. There is always air movement, however slight, and it doesn't take much to feel those, especially without your full sight available to you, so your other senses are heightened to compensate.

Third, any sounds you make or which are in the house, will echo differently close to a wall or door. Even if you are barefoot on a carpet, you're still breathing. A hot water heater, a refrigerator, or a furnace are background noises, but they sound differently depending on where you are. Your ears are super-sensitive when you can't see well, and you have two, so you can locate where a sound is coming from just by turning your head and measuring the variation. Whether you hear the air vents and duct work from the furnace or the distant hum of a fridge. you know right where they are and what they should sound like at any given place.

I know it may seem like you don't have much working for you when it is dark and quiet, but you have a lot more skills available to you than you may think. After all, you may not know trigonometry, but you can still catch a ball. Your body knows trig, even if you do not.
edit on 1/13/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm enjoying how people are giving explanations when you already ruled them out, proving they didn't actually read the post

Anyways, I do this sometimes, but it's far from infallible. I'm kind of a klutz anyway, so I usually end up tripping over things. (That chair jumped out in front of me, I swear!)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

This is spot on.

You have seen the blind kid who uses echo-location by "clicking" and noting the sound and frequency of the echo to determine an object (even the size and shape)

What you experience is similar, but instead of sound, it is the change in air pressure and density on approach to a solid object that alerts you.

Here is a link to the inspirational kid.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Is this normal Does anyone else have this ability

Yes, its called perception, we all perceive a little differently but relatively in-sync so as to see the same world around us. Your sister( my condolences ) maybe was able to perceive which most can not.

Some of your examples gave me a bit of a giggle such as

I can be sound asleep in a totally dark room and wake up and know I am about a foot from the wall

How many times have you woken and found you fell asleep somewhere else and then knew exactly where and what direction your in?

in other words,
When you say "sound asleep in a totally dark room and wake up and know I am about a foot from the wall" is it the same bed you went to sleep in?

Thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

you are getting into the realm of abilities that the unknown 'cave painters' had ...which is an ability for 'internal sight'

the famous French cave paintings were accomplished with no known light source... torches or even glass jars of fireflys were either not possible 30,000 years ago..or there is no evidence of smoke deposits on those pristine caverns from primitive torches or makeshift campfires

try a sensory deprivation situation...i have had strange instances where i 'see' people or objects in complete darkness and blindfolded, forms and shapes but not detailed images can be internally seen by the mind-brain if given enough time (1/2 hr) to relax to the resonance of the place you are situated in....

thanks

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
touch it needs no light since (hehe) we can reach its within your 1 foot range

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I seem to be able to do this also.

When walking around the house in the dark sometimes I can even "feel" when the living room coffee table is within about a foot of my leg.

I always figured that it had something to do with the ambient noise in the area bouncing off the nearby objects and being "sensed" by the skin or the fine hairs on the skin. It might also have some connection to hearing for things a little further away. When driving an automobile, I can sometimes tell if there is another vehicle in my right or left blind spot even when I'm not able to see it. I'm thinking that there's a change in the sounds around me in that particular direction. I still look anyways to confirm whether there's another vehicle beside mine before changing lanes or turning anyways just to be safe.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Billie828
I'm enjoying how people are giving explanations when you already ruled them out, proving they didn't actually read the post

Anyways, I do this sometimes, but it's far from infallible. I'm kind of a klutz anyway, so I usually end up tripping over things. (That chair jumped out in front of me, I swear!)

LOL, I was wondering the same thing.. like you said, I have tried to explain it since I was a child and have the same 'sense' no matter where I am. I travel a lot for my job therefore I am in a lot of different hotels so it seems unlikely I have 'memorized' the layout of the room, lol!
When I was trying to debunk this as maybe starlight, etc. I happen to get in at 2:00 AM and knew I was going to sleep in... and although the room I sleep in is very dark (I have blackout drapes for my projector) I put on some of those sleep thingees that covers the eyes and about an hour after i went to bed I had to get rid of the cola I was drinking on the flight (LOL) and got up and I was in one of those 'half-sleeps' so if I was going to run into something I would think this was ideal but I went through several doors one of which was open where if my arms were out it would have gone between them and smacked my nose! But when I got to about 6" or so I 'sensed' it and moved my arm and there was the door! Actually this is what finally prompted me to write this thread to see what you guys thought.
Thanks for everyone's input I like to hear what people think even if they think there is a rational everyday explanation.
I am a big skeptic so it takes a lot for me to finally decide there is something I can't explain through a 'natural' phenomenon.

top topics

join