It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Ancient Hobbit-Sized People

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
if they were still alive i would tease them by calling them hobbits

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Doubts cast on Hobbit discovery

THE discovery of a previously unknown species of prehistoric human � nicknamed the Hobbit � may not be as extraordinary as first thought, with a group of scientists arguing the fossil remains are in fact those of a deformed modern man.

But according to a report in the reputable Science magazine, a small but vocal group of scientists argues the skeleton dubbed homo floresiensis is a modern human with the disease microcephaly - a deformity characterised by a small brain and head.

"They jumped the gun," paleopathologist Maciej Henneberg of the University of Adelaide says.

www.news.com.au...

I'm sure this will spark even more debate.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aryaputhra
what if the present day 'homo sapiens' are in fact a mixture of the neanderthals, homo floresiensis etc.

The timeline's all wrong, for one thing. Homo sapiens coexisted with the neanderthals and as best we can tell (DNA/RNA evidence, etc, etc) the direct ancestor ofhomo sapiens is homo erectus.

Would that explain why we have different races? e.g.

No. If that was true, each race would be a different species. And they aren't. In fact, the range of human skin tones is so great that it overlaps by 30-40% for every race around.

It does, however, have to do with your ability to survive at that latitude and under those climactic conditions. For example, I have extremely pale skin (in spite of my American Indian ancestors). If you stuck me in Africa, I would die of skin damage much earlier than (say) my grandmother with her much darker skin. People with her skin coloring (or darker) would do well in the tropics but only in rain forests. In the veldt/savannah/etc only those with the darkest skin could survive the effects of the sun in a fairly unprotected environment.

At the northern latitudes, these dark-skinned people wouldn't be able to convert sunlight to vitamin D (something we do naturally in our bodies) and would suffer boneproblems and other health problems and die rather quickly. With their long, lean body shapes, they couldn't conserve heat well and would tend to suffer from the effects of the cold much more quickly.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
"They jumped the gun," paleopathologist Maciej Henneberg of the University of Adelaide says.

www.news.com.au...

I'm sure this will spark even more debate.

Sanc'.

Intriguing, I think that the find will stand the test (this is NOT unusual for scientists to start debating about these kinds of finds. Archaeologists in particular are very cautious about new finds that present startling evidence (and with good reason.)

The proportions of the head to the body don't seem to support microcephaly (though I haven't seen all that many skeletons of that type.) I think we'll see several more rounds of challenges but in the end, I think the discovery wil hold up.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Lucy, the famous remains of an Australopithicus afarensis was about 1 m tall, I would think that is hobbit sized. Maybe a sect of Australopithicines made it to the islands of Indonesia. Lucy had a very small head though, it could be a disase that made their heads that large, or maybe a type of shaping practiced by tying various hard objects to the cranium while it was hardening in infancy. This has been practiced in many other ancient cultures. Just an idea....

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Soon enough mankind will be letting those (other skeletons) out of the closet, though they may look different perhaps they are nothing but a scale model of what we will be.

I am of course talking about the tall seven footers with enlarged craniums.

To show a stature that is small in size such as this, shows that more then likely probablility for a new model of human species. Perhaps this is nothing more then a branch off another species. Well from the looks of things we are going to be getting much taller especilally if we are to hold twice the number of chakra centers into the body, I imagine by the time we reach maxium peak we will be at least twelve feet tall.

At the end of our (spiritual evolution) the body will hold sixteen total. Chakra is a spinning vortice in the body an energy center that is in aligment from the base of the spine all the way up. I have seen my daughers from the top of her head looks like an antanae of some type.

It looks like a coil on top of her head. Yeah it takes claravoyance to see it, or the spiritual eye.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join