It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Ancient Hobbit-Sized People

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Skeletal Remains Reveal Human Species That Measured 3-Feet High

Oct. 27, 2004 Once upon a time, on an isolated island of Indonesia, there lived a colony of little people very little people.

Not only did anthropologists find the skeletal remains of a hobbit-sized, 30-year-old adult female, in this fairy-tale-like discovery they also uncovered in the same limestone cave the remains of a Komodo dragon, stone tools and dwarf elephants.

Subsequent finds of other similarly sized, 3-foot-tall humans with brains the size of grapefruits in a cave on the Indonesian island of Flores suggest these 18,000-year-old specimens weren't a quirk of an ancient hominin, but part of an entire species of miniature people whose existence overlapped with that of modern Homo sapiens.

"We now have the remains of at least seven hobbit-sized individuals at the cave site, so the 18,000-year-old skeleton cannot be some kind of 'freak' that we just happened to stumble across first," said Bert Roberts, an anthropologist at the University of Wollongong in New South Wales, Australia, and co-author of the study about the find in this week's issue of the journal "Nature."

abcnews.go.com...

Whoah! Looks like Frodo was real! This is really interesting!!! I hope to hear more about this discovery soon

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

yea its there...

still very interesting though...

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Ahhh...I googled hobbit, not dwarf...oh well

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
But this does not match with the bible?
Cant be true!

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kollapse
Cant be true!

that's funny
Unless you're serious, then it's sad

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The bible talks abot 3 foot tall indonesian ladies with brains the size of a grape fruit?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Cant be true!

WHAT!? Your kidding right?
Aaaaanyway. I find this extremely interesting. If they existed in one area of the planet, pershaps other areas too...could explain so many of the "little people" stories!

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
```

the island called Lilliput??

actually we have a contemporary 'island' where

persons with Hansons' disease were sequestered.
~~~~~~~~~~

whose to say these peoples, from way back then,

weren't actually exiled clan/tribe members,
`````````````

?DNA, mitrochondria testing to see
if a 'pigmy' subset did thrive for ?generations?
interesting

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What's interesting is that this is another human species, and it had been separated from the main lineage for awhile. I don't think this is the source of any legends, because they were in the South Pacific only and isolated from the rest of the world.

They died just about the time the last ice age was ending.

But it's a charming picture... an island of pygmies.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

Cant be true!

that's funny
Unless you're serious, then it's sad

Completely agree

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Very interesting story. Could this be the Orang-Pendek?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

The bible talks abot 3 foot tall indonesian ladies with brains the size of a grape fruit?

20 years ago when I was cynical and an atheist, I would have had something to say about "giants in the land", perspective, brains the size of grape fruit, and plausible explanations for the who wrote/why the bible was written the way it is.

As it is, I think I will just have a good chuckle.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Actually there apparently were some legends about them. However, this article is all I've been able to find on it so far...

news.yahoo.com... =/nm/20041027/sc_nm/science_hominid_dc_1&printer=1

It shared the isolated island to the east of Java with miniature elephants and Komodo dragons. The creature walked upright, probably evolved into its dwarf size because of environmental conditions and coexisted with modern humans in the region for thousands of years.

"Finding these hominins on an isolated island in Asia, and with elements of modern human behavior in tool making and hunting, is truly remarkable and could not have been predicted by previous discoveries," Brown said in a statement.

Local legends tell of hobbit-like creatures existing on islands long ago but there has been no evidence of them

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well in fact dwarves are mentioned in the OT...they are not to be approached. More importantly, is their relevance with Egypt.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Are they the 'Dropas or Dzopa'

check the link

ufocasebook.com...

Just a thought

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
From what I've read so far..It appears they were a Variety of Homo Erectus..
Maybe they were seperated long enough to "speciate"(?)..

Hard to tell...But interesting..The human journey was long and varied..

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think its interesting to note that not all that much evidence has been found about these people, but already the story is garnering a lot of publicity.

It kind of flies in the face of the idea that the authorities always suppress anomalous discoveries.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Ive got my Biology HSC (finals) on Monday! Does this mean i gotta change my answers on Human evolution to correspond to this new evidence?

The EXACT same thing happened a few weeks ago during the trials...they found that there were 2 waves of homo-erectus that left Africa (in the Out-of-Africa-Modal), not one...BUT THATS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS THE REAL HSC OR THIS NEW INFO!!! ARRGGHH!!

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
yea thank god this at least got out, now lets wait and see how fast they can discredit the finding or just brush it under the carpet so that most people forget the issue completely

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Can you beleive the hype this is getting? I mean, I am totally amazed at the discovery, but that's because this kind of stuff interests me. But I am hearing about this on the radio, talks shows, local newspapers, all over...The discovery is pretty significant in that is shows that Africa is now no longer considered the birthplace of life since some of the specimens found range from 90k yrs old to 18k yrs old. Get ready to buy some new science books kids

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join