It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Hair) Growing out your bangs ("fringe")

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hi all!

This seems to be a year of transformation, both mental and physical, for me, and one of the things I have done is to go from wearing my hair with bangs, or "a fringe", to growing them out. I am in my mid-forties and have always worn bangs, so this was quite an adjustment and I thought I would talk about it, in case anyone else is thinking about trying this change, themselves.

Why grow them out? Well, my hubby has been on an island kick the past few years, and every time we go on vacation somewhere that is by the ocean, my bangs have curled up into little corkscrews that make me look ridiculous. I got into the habit of taking along the little combs, and just pinning my bangs up for the entire trip. The last time we got home, I decided instead of continuing this, I would try to grow out my bangs, so that I can just pull all of my hair back in a braid or ponytail next time, and see how it goes.

Who cares? Probably nobody, but on the off chance somebody is interested, I thought I would make this thread.

What's the big deal? I was SO nervous and uncomfortable when I first started wearing my hair off my forehead, I felt like everyone was looking at me. This probably sounds ridiculous to most people, since it seems more people wear their hair without bangs than with, but I literally did not know what to do with them that would look halfway "normal".

Ok, so what tips and tricks do you want to share? First of all, I was worried people would suddenly see me as much older, because now my forehead would be exposed, so I went and had Botox injections on my forehead, right before I started wearing my hair off my forehead. However, I did not like the results. I felt really wierd not being able to express myself facially (I guess I raise my eyebrows a lot) so I let it wear off and never went for any further treatments. Still, it did get me through the first few weeks when I thought everyone would be looking at my worry lines! Now, I just try to remember to keep a slight smile which prevents you from frowning and drawing your eyebrows together.

It took me quite a while to figure out how to style it. I tried combing it straight back, but without using the little combs, it would not stay there. Finally, I tried parting it about three quarters of an inch on the left, and then "scrunching" it and letting the resulting "scrunched" curls dry naturally. That worked - on the left side, the bang hair naturally blended into the rest, and on the right side, it kindof wanted to fall over my eye, but it at least looked decent. Now that it has grown out for many months, it doesn't go so much in my face, unles I want it to. It just took a little experimentation.

I was really worried that I would look much older, but instead, I feel quite liberated and I feel pretty. I did have to get used to wearing anti-shine makeup, as my forehead is naturally a bit shiny - I have fallen in love with the Almay brand and use the lightest color balancing powder to keep off the excess shinyness.

I have been growing out my bangs for four months now, and I really like the look, now that I am past the self-conscious period.

Hopefully, someone else can use this info, if they want to try it but are feeling self-conscious like I did. If not, well, it will remain in the archives...

Yup, I admit I am shamelessly concerned with keeping up my appearance, and I see nothing wrong with maintaining myself (and hubby certainly seems to appreciate my efforts). LOL
edit on 12-0120131-1313 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

I haven't worn bangs for many years, but several months ago one of my daughters decided to let her bangs grow out. She talked it over with her stylist and together they came up with a plan to blend her bangs in with the rest of her hair with layers as they grew out. She completely avoided the "in between" stages by doing it that way and her hair looked really nice throughout the long process.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm having a similar but slightly different issue- I went from having hair down passed my butt to a shaved head this summer...talk about feeling exposed!

Now it's growing out again, since it's winter here in the eastern US, and looks HORRIBLE. It's about 2 inches long and I can't do anything at all with hit. So if I'm in public it's hat time 24/7.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Threads on things that go bang are usually good threads.

Hair bangs, must be American!

Pics please, just so we know what a bang is!

Must be a slow news day on ATS.

P

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
I'm having a similar but slightly different issue- I went from having hair down passed my butt to a shaved head this summer...talk about feeling exposed!

Now it's growing out again, since it's winter here in the eastern US, and looks HORRIBLE. It's about 2 inches long and I can't do anything at all with hit. So if I'm in public it's hat time 24/7.

WOW, that's a really huge change! Yeah, that would definitely make me feel exposed, I am in awe of your courage! Was this due to illness or just a decision to make a massive change?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Threads on things that go bang are usually good threads.

Hair bangs, must be American!

Pics please, just so we know what a bang is!

Must be a slow news day on ATS.

P

LOL. Yep, it has been slow, everyone is sick, no more 2012 doom to talk about, politics focused on gun control and we finally (barely) made it past the fiscal cliff, so yeah... I've been super busy, myself and just got a breather from work, so I wrote about what I was thinking about...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

A picture of a hairstyle with bangs (the short hair in the front):

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Is a bang a fringe? or pigtails?

Ah right thanks I thought they were boobies when I first read the title lol
edit on 12-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

I am pretty sure they call it a fringe in Europe.

edit on 12-0120131-1313 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Ah right thanks I thought they were boobies when I first read the title lol

Thank you for this. I've laughed so hard I've cried.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I thought hold on hair grows out of boobies

sorry for that at least I have learnt something more about you lovely ladies carry on

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

I haven't worn bangs for many years, but several months ago one of my daughters decided to let her bangs grow out. She talked it over with her stylist and together they came up with a plan to blend her bangs in with the rest of her hair with layers as they grew out. She completely avoided the "in between" stages by doing it that way and her hair looked really nice throughout the long process.

Unfortunately, I fear stylists as my hair is quite long (between bra strap and butt) so I was on my own. That is so great, I wish I had a stylist like that!! Your daughter is a lucky gal.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

reply to post by smyleegrl

I thought hold on hair grows out of boobies

LOL - You crazy!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have had bangs, then grew them out, then cut them in again. The easiest transition to growing them out were headbands. Your post was timely, cause I just got a trim on the bangs and edges today. The other transition trick I use when growing out my hair from the short to medium stage is a curly perm and gel, till it gets to the shoulder length stage.
I have to agree, slow news day, but hey ATS Live in about an hour. LOL

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunflowerStar
I have had bangs, then grew them out, then cut them in again. The easiest transition to growing them out were headbands. Your post was timely, cause I just got a trim on the bangs and edges today. The other transition trick I use when growing out my hair from the short to medium stage is a curly perm and gel, till it gets to the shoulder length stage.
I have to agree, slow news day, but hey ATS Live in about an hour. LOL

LOL - I've got nothing better to do at the moment, other than keeping an eye on the Ravens / Broncos game in overtime. Go Ravens! (That's because they have my favorite receiver, Anquan Boldin, now, and I wish my Cardinals had not been so stupid as to let him go!)

I think in this case, having curly hair turned out to be a plus - I wonder if we will hear from anybody who has straight hair?

Crazily enough, my hair used to be super straight until I reached my early thirties. It continues to be super fine so it is very difficult hair.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

WOOT! Ravens win - huzzah!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hm, I've always tried bangs, but honestly it never works out for me. It's not that it looks bad, my hair parts exactly down the middle. I've tried everything. It's just stick straight and wants to part in the middle. The bangs just split in the middle and I don't have that full cover look I want.

I'm the first on the left there. My bangs make me want to punch kittens. (It was goth night). I don't blow dry but even when i do my bangs still do that.
edit on 12-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

Now my friend in the middle, I heart her bangs so much, I wish I had them

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
Hm, I've always tried bangs, but honestly it never works out for me. It's not that it looks bad, my hair parts exactly down the middle. I've tried everything. It's just stick straight and wants to part in the middle. The bangs just split in the middle and I don't have that full cover look I want.

I'm the first on the left there. My bangs make me want to punch kittens. (It was goth night). I don't blow dry but even when i do my bangs still do that.

Now my friend in the middle, I heart her bangs so much, I wish I had them

Antonia, no worries, you look great!!!
I have experienced that same "bangs separation" problem a lot since I wore bangs most of my life and here is what worked for me:

Get a bristle brush, the softer bristles and half-round brushes work better for me than the full-round bristle brushes. When you get out of the shower, towel dry your hair, then train the blow dryer on a "Low" setting pointing to your bangs and use the half round bristle brush to lift and curl them under. When you dry your bangs using the bristle brush it makes the more uniform coverage across your whole forehead. If you still have problems, try using a slghtly more astringent shampoo and don't condition the bangs, just condition the ends of your hair.

Give it a try... Let us know how it goes...!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I've tried that, never works. Even when I get it blowout after a haircut the stylist can't seem to keep it from doing that. I use that 70 dollar mason brush too (boar bristles, it's nice). I always get commentary from the ladies who do my hair about how nice, soft and silky my hair is though so I guess it isn't all bad lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So just like some guys can't grow a decent beard, some girls can't get a decent bang!

P

ETA Yes, I know, hair hair.

edit on 12/1/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join