It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man charged with driving car at U.S. Rep. Harris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) � A Sarasota man was arrested on an aggravated assault charge early Wednesday after he was accused of trying to run down U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris and a group of supporters with his car.
Witnesses said a silver Cadillac sped through a Sarasota intersection and swerved onto the sidewalk. The car headed straight toward Harris before swerving at the last minute and driving off, according to police.

Harris told police she feared for her life and couldn't move as the vehicle sped toward her, police records show.

Witnesses gave the car's license plate number to police, and they tracked it to Barry M. Seltzer, 46. He came to the police station early Wednesday and complained to officers that Harris' supporters had impeded traffic.

www.usatoday.com...

"I intimidated them with my car," Seltzer told police. "I was exercising my political expression."

He was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and booked into the Sarasota County jail. Seltzer was being held without bond and was scheduled for his first court appearance Thursday.

Harris, a Sarasota Republican, is seeking a second congressional term after serving as Florida's secretary of state during the protracted 2000 presidential recount.

She has been a rising star in the GOP and the bane of Democrats since overseeing the recount that gave Florida and the presidency to George W. Bush by 537 votes.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
new American Civil War. That's my prediction!

"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others."

-Thomas Jefferson

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
See this shows me a major problem.

1) When citizens of NYC complained about the protesters at the RNC causing traffic we were called enemies of freedom. When a Republican candidate's supporters clog the street, someone runs them down.

2) Imagine for a moment if even one person had driven a car at people who had taken it upon themselves to lay down in traffic to "protest". That person would have been called a killer.

3) This person needs to be put in jail and not be able to be involved in politics any more. Any person who believes that the way to deal with a candidate you don't like is to drive a 4,000 pound steel machine into a 150 pound person is obviously deranged.

Don't get me wrong please, i CAN'T STAND Katherine Harris and I'd like for her to be VOTED OUT, NOT RUN OVER BY AN OPPOSING PERSON.

Political intimidation? No. Attempted homicide. It's not a game to fling a car at someone.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
With 55k ballots missing in the Post Office this is going to get very ugly unless the government starts playing by the book.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And if there are improper things going on? Fine, we all agree they should be dealt with. Not by running people over with cars. Or threatening it. We should not be reduced to a society where people get shot while making political speeches like we once were.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I don't condone civil war or violence to express one's opinion. I loathe Katherine Harris, but I don't wish her any harm (maybe the flu), but an argument for having guns is to use against a corrupt government. This violent act makes me wonder, when are we at that point when shooting our politicians is justified, as interpretated by some in the Constitution?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Miss Harris is doing very good indeed since the last elections, the pay off was very gratifying for her

But occurs she did not have anything to do with bush been the president right now, we all know that he won fair and square.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
a 150 pound person

I love the fact that Katherine Harris is 150 pounds.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
It's not a game to fling a car at someone.

I've been hit by two cars in my life time. I can tell you that it is no fun and the human body was not designed to endure such an assault. I don't like to speak of luck with regard to such incidents, but it is remarkable that I have lived to tell of these events.

top topics

join