It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Mouse Problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I've been having a mouse problem,worst ever.

Well,I should say I never had a mouse problem in the 13 years I have been in this house.

A couple a weeks ago I noticed the quick brown flash across the floor.
Put out a couple of mouse traps,and with the help of cheetos for bait,caught 5 in 2 days!!!!!!

I thought that was it,but they are back!

Now,we keep a pretty clean house,except for the kids sneaking food into the bedroom and throwing it under the bed which my wife and I periodically check and clean with severe penalties handed down towards the kids.

It has been unusually warm this winter and a very hot and dry summer here in Kentucky.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Buy a hamster cage put some cheeto's in it and when they go in close the door and keep em as pets!

Thats what I'd do anyway...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Buy a hamster cage put some cheeto's in it and when they go in close the door and keep em as pets!

Thats what I'd do anyway...

Oh,yes,the kids would love that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Maybe they're just coming in to the house looking for shade and water.We have the same problem in Aus when it's very hot......except with snakes instead of mice..

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Get a cat maybe?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatcoat

If you've got a snake problem, buy a hamster cage and put some mice in it, when the snake goes in to eat the mice close the door and keep it as a pet!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatcoat
Maybe they're just coming in to the house looking for shade and water.We have the same problem in Aus when it's very hot......except with snakes instead of mice..

We are suppose to be in the dead of winter here right now,usually pretty cold.
But it's like spring time here.
Maybe there has been an explosion in the mice population.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Get a cat maybe?

I have two dogs,so getting a cat would create total havoc!

Although I would say that we have some neighborhood cats that roam around,and they are starting to look fat.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
reply to post by Flatcoat

If you've got a snake problem, buy a hamster cage and put some mice in it, when the snake goes in to eat the mice close the door and keep it as a pet!

Lol. Did have a 6 foot python for a while...until mum found it eating her budgie...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
We did have a minor mouse problem about 18 months ago.

One cat and the problem is gone.

I have heard of people with larger mice problems taking a whole - hollowed - pumpkin and filling it with ratsack. The pumpkin is then left far enough away from the house so that it won't offend your nose.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

I have heard of people with larger mice problems taking a whole - hollowed - pumpkin and filling it with ratsack. The pumpkin is then left far enough away from the house so that it won't offend your nose.

You mean like rat poisoning?
www.ratsak.com.au...

edit on 12-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Perhaps you can handle them with this little trick, but dont know what your dogs will do with used litter.........

www.ehow.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Get a cat maybe?

Sounds like a recipe for fun times to me, as long as they dont get too pally

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheldonCooper
Perhaps you can handle them with this little trick, but dont know what your dogs will do with used litter.........

www.ehow.com...

Yes!
I will capture a cat,put it in a cage with cat litter then put him in the room with my dogs.
That should produce alot of cat urine!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Originally posted by kdog1982

Get a cat maybe?

Sounds like a recipe for fun times to me, as long as they dont get too pally

Now,why can't we humans get along like that?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A very small amount of peanut butter is also good bait for mouse traps.

I recommend you try to find their point of entry into your house and block it off.

You should check the gaps under all the doors leading to the outside. Mice can squeeze through very small spaces.

If any of the doors have gaps bigger than a 1/4 inch. Install new door sweeps.

Look at all plumbing pipes inside your kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Sometimes the holes are too big and need to be sealed. Also check behind your stove for any holes in the wall.

Check all the vents leading under your house or into the attic space. Use a fine mesh chicken wire to seal off any entry points.

If you have access, place poison pellets under the house and in the attic. Make sure you place the poison next to the foundation walls, as that is where rodents usually like to make their trails. They don't like running in open space. Same goes for the attic. Place the poison close the walls.

By preventing any new mice from having access and by trapping or poisoning the existing mice. You should be able to get rid of the problem pretty quick.
edit on 12-1-2013 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

I have sealed up the main entrance for them to get into the house.
I have a house with a walk-out basement and garage under the house.
The rubber seal for the garage door had been eaten away and I repaired when I noticed the first round of mice.
They must of had a run on it when it was open and it got really cold like black friday before christmas sale.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Poor Kdog. Here's your starter kit, for mouse control....

I have 3 mouse control units. No problems, even up here in the mountains. I like it when they purr.....

Des

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Odd....I live in North Carolina, and I have suddenly developed a mouse problem too. I heard some noises while sitting at the kitchen table, and walked over to see if I had water dripping somewhere. Lo and behold, there was a mouse sitting right in the middle of the hallway.

I don't like to use poison, as I have both a dog and cat. I bought these great little traps that are round, easy to bait, and if the mouse goes in for the bait, the entire thing spins closed, kills the mouse and you can dispose of it without seeing it, like you have to with a regular trap. I live in a heavily wooded area, so capture and release means they'll just make a beeline back to the house. I hate killing animals of any kind, but a mouse is different if he decides to set up housekeeping in my house!

Otherwise, if it's an infestation, call a pest control service. They will come out for a nominal fee, set up bait traps in your crawl space, etc., and it is also very effective.

It's the weather, I think. We have our doors open since it's unseasonably warm and since it is winter, food is probably scarce and they scoot in wherever there's an opening. Good luck to you.

(also, the bit about the cage for the mice and the snake was hilarious!)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

It's good you have found their main entry and sealed it off.

Sometimes they will try to make a new entry hole if they know there is a food source available still.

Another thing to do is to make sure you eliminate any access to food sources.

Don't leave food out. Use a garbage can with a lid on it.

Don't leave pet food out and buy a storage bin for the pet food instead of leaving it stored in a bag.

The harder you make it for them the less likely they will come back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join