It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please give me reasons why guns are bad.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by manmental
This is my point...

We are all adults (????) and we know guns are bad... surely...

Please lets be hypothetical as we Brits like doings...

Guns are bad.

Everything else... politics... 2nd amendment.. etc is BS]

GUNS ARE BAD!!!

Why is it seemingly so hard for anyone to agree.

Would believers in the 2nd amendment agree that 'man' is essentially good?

I think the very fear that 2nd amendment freaks have is the same fear built from Brits and Europeans invading and controlling their supposed world.

Get over it. No one is gonna kill you.
edit on 12-1-2013 by manmental because: (no reason given)

First off, ADVISOR answered your question. Guns are objects.....as they can't have a view opinion or emotion, they can't be good, bad or even neutral.

Secondly, I can't believe there are brits like you who are still pissed off about the revolution.

Thirdly, this isn't an issue about guns.... not for Americans; it's about an erosion of rights. You people overseas seem to have this skewed viewpoint that all gun owners are horse riding, tobacco spitting hillbillies with leather chaps and an inherent lack of any grasp of vocabulary. But, us who know better, and are actually HERE understand that (for the same reasons we left the British rule and you guys on the island couldnt seem to live without complete rule by those with nothing to lose by taking away all you own) tyrannical rule without some means to keep it in check should the need to arise, is dangerous.

Left unchecked, the society becomes one of judgement of anyone different and an inflated (albeit baseless) sense of superiority.....which, should ring true to you I imagine.

We here, also understand that there are those of you who would attempt to inflame the subject to show that you are in fact, the more level-headed.... we simply won't allow that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Fair enough. The issue I was getting at though was the "mental" quip.

I'd appreciate it if you removed that from your post. I don't like people throwing mental illness round as a be all and end all. Mental health should not be taken lightly.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Whilst I don't have an agenda in reference to gun control.....I think the people v guns argument is a tad silly. Are we saying that only living breathing things can be judged as good or bad for a society?...a gun is a man made object after all.......

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

guns kept in a home are more liklely to be used on a family member of the owner or on the owner than on an intruder

Any facts to back up that half assed statement???? Of course not, as usual, you pop in, state something like it is a fact and run away........cya!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Fair enough. The issue I was getting at though was the "mental" quip.

I'd appreciate it if you removed that from your post. I don't like people throwing mental illness round as a be all and end all. Mental health should not be taken lightly.

If it will make you feel better, I will edit my post. but, the issue of mental health is in fact, an issue here. As I don't see guns as inherently bad, but people with mental health problems with guns, can be bad.

The OP is so one sided in his view of guns, to the point of not being able to see that guns are inanimate objects, possibly in the hands of some who may not be of good mental health to have them, makes my point for me.

Off to edit my post, to make you feel better. Only because you did ask nicely...

Des

edit on 12-1-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here is a thread that may be of interest to some of you. It's a participation experiment.

The beezzer's Court. On trial, The 2nd Amendment,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Des

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

Assault rifles have been used in the last 4 USA shootings and therefore surely a sane person would look at limiting them. You can keep your hand guns but why do you need assault rifles???

In the case of the shootings you mentioned, if a lunatic attempted this with hand guns he could still kill 20 or more people in a relatively short amount of time. It is not the weapon, it's the loser-user.

If all guns were banned, how many children could a lunatic kill if he went to a school when the kids were just getting out for the day, and drove over them? Would there be a call to ban cars? I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

This is my point...

We are all adults (????) and we know guns are bad... surely...

Please lets be hypothetical as we Brits like doings...

Guns are bad.

Everything else... politics... 2nd amendment.. etc is BS]

GUNS ARE BAD!!!

Why is it seemingly so hard for anyone to agree.

Would believers in the 2nd amendment agree that 'man' is essentially good?

I think the very fear that 2nd amendment freaks have is the same fear built from Brits and Europeans invading and controlling their supposed world.

Get over it. No one is gonna kill you.
edit on 12-1-2013 by manmental because: (no reason given)

I don't think anybody is arguing that guns are good, what we are arguing is that if the government does ban assault weapons (they are already banned anyway) that only bad guys will have them. If you ban something only criminals will have those items and not the people who follow the laws. So banning these guns do nothing for law abiding citizens other than make them more open for criminals to terrorize.

The 2nd amendment is not B.S. it was made by people who knew men were not good people and that power corrupts people. There is a quote from a Japanese emporer in WW2 that they would not invade america because there would be a gun behind every blade of grass. China I think early last year started to complain about out 2nd amendment, if our dollar does collapse, you don't think China would come collecting any way they could?

Guns should only be feared by bad people but they are a way to make everybody even and if criminals or whoever have to think twice on if they want to attack that person, country or whatever it's a good thing.
edit on 12-1-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Reasons why guns are good!

• Every living creature has the natural right of self-defense. Most animals have claws, fangs, stingers, armor plating, horns, tusks, venom, poison, barbs, or something to otherwise defend itself when needed. Humans don't have any of these things. This is why we have evolved to be the only animals that can use tools, due to our opposing thumbs, mostly. A gun is a tool. It's a privilege AND a right that we have earned through evolution to all use.
  • They are great equalizers. Let's face it, if some 7 foot tall 250lb thug was trying to rape a girl, he is probably going to win. Unless she has a gun. Then, the playing field is equal.
  • They improve hand/eye coordination when used for target practice.
  • When taught to children properly, teaches them to respect a potentially dangerous object and gives them valuable life lessons
  • It's the best single tool for protecting your life and the lives of your loved ones.
  • So you can de-bunk Hollywood gun myths for your kids.
  • Because of the patience and discipline you acquire while learning about the tool.
  • Armed societies are polite societies. (Switzerland)
  • It removes force from the equation of human interaction.
  • Defense against dangerous animals, such as packs of coyotes, cougars, and bears. Yes I know, the librals in the big cities don't encounter these types of things on a day to day basis like us mountain folk do, funny the city slickers are always the ones against guns huh. Take us mountain folks guns away and we will all be raped and murdered by mountain lions and bears. Is that what you want, more carnage??!
  • Rattlesnakes in the hills – Signs all over the trails around here. Put snake shot in the first two chambers of your trail gun.
  • Better than a knife past 2 yards.
  • Meat on the table – Or do you only eat meat that other people kill for you?
  • As a hobby to improve self-discipline and the understanding of physics.
  • Carrying a gun is a lighter burden than regret.
  • You’re several more times likely, in your lifetime, to need a handgun to deal with a lethal threat than you are to need fire insurance on your home . . . yet more people carry fire insurance than carry a gun.
  • Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 per day. You don’t hear about them because they never happened, silly.
  • To bear your share of the responsibility and burden of the proven gun deterrence of crime.
  • To remove fear from human interaction.
  • To appeal to the better nature of a man who doesn’t have one.
  • A right exercised is a right retained.
  • The simple act of having a gun is its own best use. Like a battleship parked off the coast its mere presence changes the dynamic of the situation without having to fire a single shot. By having a gun you become too dangerous to your predators. Criminals interviewed in jail say they don’t want anything to do with an armed civilian. That change in my human predators is exactly what I want to accomplish.
  • null

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Because I like them alot.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Virginia Tech was done with 2 pistols. Dude killed 32 and injured 23.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It takes 1-2 seconds to reload a handgun. You can hide them easily. You can shoot two at the same time. Banning "assault rifles" has nothing to do with saving lives. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more people die from handguns than rifles each year and the government agrees they dont want to take our handguns (yet), so to argue they care about saving lives is bull# both for the fact they want to take the weapons that kill far less people and for the fact that taking the rifles wont solve the underlying problem of drugged up psychos going on killing sprees.

And our government is already corrupt as hell. If you dont see that then theres nothing I can do to convince you. Keep paying your taxes and hoping for the best.
edit on 13-1-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

but why do you need assault rifles???

Protection from a government that goes all tyrannical. It seems to happen every couple hundred years.

Do you really think the government lacks the technology to destroy you, assault rifle or not?

Ridiculous.

The biggest argument against guns is that they kill, and that killing is their only real function. They are tools of death and therefore regular citizens should have no use for them in the vast majority of cases.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Now, how would you feel if we just traipsed on over there and decided your...oh say...tea...was dangerous. Took it all away from you...that makes about as much sense as your post I'm responding to...

What a ridiculous argument.

If tea had no other function but to kill, then you'd have every right to debate the pros and cons of tea being legal in anyone's country, but your analogy is so flawed it's comical.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

but why do you need assault rifles???

Protection from a government that goes all tyrannical. It seems to happen every couple hundred years.

Funny - never seems to have happened before. You must have different history books over there.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
In the perfect, movie-type scenario, a handgun is the ideal form of defence against a nearby threat. Trouble is, life aint like that, and an awful lot of luck has to be thrown into the mix if the gun owner has no experience of defending themself in such a high risk situation. You can do a million "threat simulations," but unless they include the dangers of live ammo coming back at you, they are never going to be the same as the real thing. Obviously, someone with a million successful simulation missions behind them is likely to be more proficient than another person with 10 such missions completed, but neither are guaranteed not to come across a scenario that wasn't in their training courses.

The main reason guns are bad is because they make some people believe every problem can be solved with a well-aimed bullet.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim

Originally posted by Destinyone

Now, how would you feel if we just traipsed on over there and decided your...oh say...tea...was dangerous. Took it all away from you...that makes about as much sense as your post I'm responding to...

What a ridiculous argument.

If tea had no other function but to kill, then you'd have every right to debate the pros and cons of tea being legal in anyone's country, but your analogy is so flawed it's comical.

Ridiculous, but hilarious. It certainly brightened up my afternoon and I've just made a nice strong cuppa in defiance.

I'm also going to dip some Hobnobs in it, and let any damn yankee try and stop me!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

I could say the same thing about cars.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
reply to post by Dispo

I could say the same thing about cars.

You could, but that'd be ignoring the fact that cars aren't designed for their killing capabilities.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join