It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cadbury's Since Kraft Took Over

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

Makes no difference...they can buy recipes and the company, or just the company and trade marks, but not necessarily the recipes. Green and Blacks is based on Fair Trade and Organic raw materials....which I will always support, especially if it tastes good to boot.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I agree with you completely. They have also reduced the sizes of the Dairy Milk bars whilst keeping the prices just the same.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yup, could be right there. I remember the Co-Op used to have really really good chocolate ice-cream, then all of a sudden they discontinued it! Was the same with their extremely tasty roast vegetable pizzas, obviously another product of far to high a quality for the Co-Op and so it got axed too. I see this happening a lot and it is annoying!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Hmmmm, maybe in the case of the Cadbury take over they didn't get the recipe along with the company and that is why it has changed. Such a pity too

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

A lot of the older type sweets had to have the ingredients changed due to some causing cancer that's why smarties do not taste as good

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

really? I thought the stuff that they are putting in sweets now causes cancer, like aspartame for instance.
What is also getting me lately is the 'consumer shrinkage' in soooo many products these days. Even tins of tuna which were 200 or so grams with a drained weight of 185g are now 185g (sneakily keeping one of the numbers the same so people don't notice so much) with a drained weight of 123g or there about. Outside packaging is the same size but getting lots less inside to try and make it look like they are not hiking up the prices! Bloody outrage!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The best one is oxo cubes they have made them into a little X shape and people go "ah it's an x" not knowing the little bit they have shaved off the cube has saved the company millions and made them weigh less

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

oh really??? What a bloody cheek, though that's quite a clever swizz that one and just looks like fancy marketing. I gave up on oxo's due to the msg's they contained and so switched to knorr stock cubes. They don't crumble but I grate them up really fine on the microplane grater, works just as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I completely agree.
I bought a KitKat for the first time in ages a couple of days ago and was completely shocked at how different it tasted.
Didn't taste creamy or chocolatey at all. Just sugary

I should have stock piled KitKats

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Thought kit-kats were made by Rowntree, have they been taken over now too?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Indeed they have. Rowntree were taken over by Nestle in 1988. After that they were know as Rowntree Nestle for a while but that was dropped to just Nestle. Here in the UK we stll have some products that are still under the Rowntree name (but under Nestle control). Little Jelly things called "Randoms", for the record I have to say they are not good.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by commencalrider

I find a LOT of sweets now taste horrible. Either they are overly sweet or taste like perfumed plastic. Even things like Chewits are more like flavoured waxy plastic. I am sure they didn't used to be when I used to buy them as a kid. Though, maybe kids don't taste things the same and it is only with a more refined palate that I find them horrible.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I used to work for Cadbury's and it was a brilliant company to work for. The history and family pride in selling the world's finest chocolate was installed into the shop floor/factory. The area is steeped in fine housing, all built for the workers and no alcohol allowed anywhere on the Cadbury's land or district belonging to the Cadbury's family.
I suppose Kraft hasn't got the emotional pull to the history or taste of Cadbury's chocolate, so for profit making, have changed the recipe. It's such a shame.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

You are right about the Chewits. My nephew had some today so I thought I'd try one, It was like chewing plastic and ended up in the bin. Like you, not as I remember them as a child.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
As an American I'd just like to say that this thoroughly British retrospective of sweets has been very amusing, thanks! I have no idea what you're talking about but they all sound fun and I'm sorry I missed them. I would also like to apologize for Kraft, the Buggers!

And yeah, too much sugar in the chocolate now, as well as wax; not enough real chocolate. Cadbury's was the best, or at least the import kind we got here was. Does the Cadbury employee know whether the recipe changed for the people across the pond, or not? It would always say, Made in the UK.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout

Prior to the take over, Cadbury's, in my opinion, had a flavour and texture that could not be beat. I live in York, home to Rowntrees, and even when the chocolate was free ('cos I worked there), I wouldn't touch it...but yes, it has changed, and even my favourite, Caramel, just isn't the same.

I live in the US but grew up in Canada and the Cadbury chocolate does taste different in each country. I bought a Caramilk bar the other day and the chocolate was downright gritty - like cheap Hershey's crapola. So disappointing to see. Favorite childhood treats go downhill.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thanks OP. I'd almost finished blocking that from my lot of "happy food" memories.

I still remember the day I heard my favorite chocolate's fate. There wasn't a street in all of Philadelphia where my weeping bellows couldn't be heard. "Ca....ca...caramelloh...oh...ohhhhh nooooo". Tastes like two pieces of bark holding some sperm for ransome.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yes, I have noticed too.
I used to look forward to the Cadbury eggs every Easter, and they just aren't the same, too many companies are trading quality for quantity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join