It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aaron Swartz, internet freedom activist, dies aged 26

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

The pirate bay is making an effort to put the whole of the internet into a cloud based system that cannot be touched, or censored...the internet was developed into what it is today; mostly by hackers...the Antivirus company Norton, started out as a blackhat software cracking company...Norton Nibbles away baby.

Major corporations are late to the game; they will never know more than those that created it. They would have to engineer the whole thing from the ground up, then expect people to use that protocol instead. If Gates wanted to he could collapse whole governments and countries with an automatic update. Windows was just a graphic shell on top of DOS commands until a few years ago...it's not that special. It just made computers more friendly; to those that froze up and feared; seeing a black screen with a prompt and a flashing cursor.

Of course; ever since people figured out money could be made; and uncontrolled propaganda free information be passed all over the world...governments and corporations have been trying to control it for fear of losing control...and they only true way to do that; is eliminate those that can undermine those efforts to stifle it. Social media like Facebook; are nothing but huge data collection devices on citizens...they are coupled up with Instagram and recently bought Face.com just so they can do facial recognition...with their Big Brother camera networks and can track each citizen down to the minute of everyday.

You know arrests that have been occurring through social media? This is going to become the norm there was a movie in 2002 called minority report: In a future where a special police unit is able to arrest murderers before they commit their crimes, an officer from that unit is himself accused of a future murder.

Sounds like what has been happening yes? You bet. How about the technology in The Dark Knight? When Batman uses Fox's cell phone sonar technology to create a computer system that can spy on the whole city in order to find the Joker, Fox says that he will help just this once, but will resign due to the ethical issues of using a system that spies on 30 million people...that's small time; considering Facebook currently has of 1 Billion.

Psychology news has stated if you don't use social media; you have a disorder of some type...so make sure you sign grandma up before they carry her away in a straight jacket.

So are there dark and ominous forces at work? You betcha...all hail the new profit: George Orwell.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Wonder if a toxicology report would show scopolamine. Quite an effective way to get someone to do something they wouldn't ordinarily do.

Or...

Triazolam.

Traveler amnesia. This is a transient global amnesia secondary to triazolam. In addition to anterograde amnesia there is amnesic complex automatism, during which the subjects can perform complicated tasks without errors but have no recollection of having done so afterwards. Some individuals have negotiated and signed complicated agreements after the use of triazolam and had no recollection of the events afterwards.

Drug-induced memory disturbance

Perhaps he did what they? wanted him to do, he was talented after all, and then outlived his usefullness. Better to have someone off themselves than do the dirty work yourself no? May aswell, he'd already be in a drug induced state of suggestibility.
edit on 13-1-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gangdumstyle
There is no reason for them to murder him when they had him by the balls, going to be locked up for a long time..

Having him murdered in prison would be way easier if that is what they wanted.

He was going to get 15 or 20 years in prison, that is harder for a rich person to handle..

Could you imagine going from lambo's and mansions to big bubba in a 5x5 cell??

This is a good point, but the other side has validity as well. It makes for a good believable cover. I'm 50/50 on it. Would have to know more about him and the case to lean 75/25 either way, and that's probably the best % I could ever come up with on this one.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

So are there dark and ominous forces at work? You betcha...all hail the new profit: George Orwell.

There is deffinately an Orwellian tint on this one. Here we have JSTOR, an online academia reference dump, and the brainchild of a foundation started by a wealthy banking family and freemason. Maybe they didn't like their Ministry Of Truth being hacked?

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
edit on 13-1-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, after reading his blog, I can almost see that he was depressed, but in a more cynical way. Not to the point of suicide, however, it is a blog and I don't know how often people act out on them in that manner. However, I'm no psychologist, so probably suicide. It doesn't look like it's been reported that any of the material he downloaded was sensitive material belonging to gov or military organizations, I think we can rule out a government hit, however if he did download such material, and they didn't report it (logical if they planned to kill him), then that may point to someone being hushed.

However, until more details surface, I'm going with legitimate suicide on this one. It's a shame, dude was only a year older than me, and look at all he'd accomplished.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
While it's natural to speculate after something like this, I don't feel there is sufficient evidence to say one way or the other what happened to him with certainty at this point.

What I can say is that I have deep ethical qualms about how people like him are approached by the law. I understand that we are a society of laws and consequences, but up to 35 years in prison (which I understand is what he may have faced) for obtaining and distributing MIT journals - essentially knowledge - in an arguably misguided manner... seems unnecessarily severe. Especially considering his background and, unless those who knew him are posthumously painting an erroneous picture, good nature.

Painting and prosecuting people like him as though they are somehow hardened criminals is in my mind tantamount to treating repeat non-violent drug offenders with no other record like hardened criminals. I don't agree with either one, and when it drives people like this (potentially... again I don't feel we can say for certain at this point) to suicide, it seems like a step too far. Just my opinion.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09

Originally posted by homeskillet
perhaps a sensitive kid who spent most of his time behind a computer pushed to the limits by facing serious charges.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here I'm afraid.What a tragic waste of a brilliant young person.Why would the government bother trying him in federal court if they were going to kill him?And why?No government hit here,sorry.

He certainly could have been asassinated if it was determined he had any chance of winning in court (or causing a huge controversy or releasing embarrassing data during a trial). And did I read he hung himself??? like um...the D.C. madam (who warned she would never kill herself ?)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

This reminds me of the Washington madam that was going to testify against powerful people in DC. After telling ALEX JONES she was not and would not commit suicide she was found hanging in a shed?Just before trial?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
For someone who was an activist and a fighter ....he didn't go out fighting.

Yeah that was no "suicide". People throughtout the years that had ties to HUGE program an corporations just suddenly turn up dead? Suicides? When they person had everything going their way? Why would you wanty to kill yourself? Something smells fishy.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

are people really that paranoid to think that? i just think thats madness.

Madness?

...THIS

...IS

...AMERICA!!!!

...where business is the only way of life. And business requires sacrifice. Especially if the sacrifice is unwilling.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31
what is it with if someone has a deep involvement in something and they take their own life then automatically they,ve been bumped off?

are people really that paranoid to think that? i just think thats madness.

Look up Fred Olsen.

Then try to justify in your own mind the rate of unusual deaths and suicides among government microbiologists.

Then you will have your answer(s).

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The family has came out and spoke they say that Government officials to blame for his suicide.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The story of tough tactics used by the justice department that caused his suicide/murder.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I once had an indian colleague whose grandparents came from India.

He was a great guy, great sportsman and worker, worked hard and thought that he could help India's development with funds, in person. He took out most of his savings out, as his contact told him cash was mandatory for the deal, made that trip to India and wanted to start off by buying up a parcel of land in Chennai and start from there.

He was away for a few days, and then one day, his wife got a visit from the cops through the indian embassy that he had committed suicide in Chennai, leaving her with 2 very young kids.

His young wife could not believe it, for there was absolutely no reason why her husband would want to die, but there was nothing that she could do, for death was a reality. When she asked about the funds, the cops knew nothing of it, nor did the embassy or its contacts in India, and refused to conduct further investigations.

To this day, many knew he could'nt have committed suicide for he had everything to live for, and equally all knew how corrupted India is, even today. Suicide is often the most convenient excuse when someone needs to bummed for whatever he had.

I do not write this to claim that Aaron's untimely death was not a coincidence, or blame the govt as there are far more powerful and greedy entities than govts in our world, but only that death by suicide is suspicious, espacially for one as young as him and a firm activist whose belief in his cause for humanity would have kept him fighting to the very end and never give up so easily.

Whatever it is, death had been a reality.

I thank him for his contribution and his fight for mankind. As I finish this first and last glass of champagne, I pour the rest into the ground for his mortal dna shell, in honor to his selfless time on Earth, and light a candle in memory of him for his soul in his journey home.

Rest in Peace Aaron. You are not the first, nor the last, as we fight for mankind's destiny. Your death will not be in vain, as many more will stand in your place, by the intelligence, determination and courage shown.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is ATS.....He was definately killed

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I don't think he was killed, but I think he is definitely becoming a martyr.

Some news articles are already hinting at it.
www.aarongreenspan.com... has a 10k memorial grant up.

Academics were posting materials online last night and today using hashtag pdftribute all over twitter.

My friends that are generally more intelligent are in a total tizzy.

Westboro is weighing in and are saying they will picket the funeral and have posted that they are rejoicing at his death.

I just think the average media outlet either doesn't have a clue how big this was, or they want to cover it up.

ETA a new article I just saw that supports this: www.theregister.co.uk...
edit on 13-1-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Reddit is a great website. Suicide or not, may he rest in peace.

This is third unusual death in the past two weeks and I would not be surprised if more people turn up mysteriously dead in the next couple days.
edit on 13-1-2013 by Attentionwandered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
An influential activist who champions the cause of the right commits suicide?

We are men... we should pride ourselves in having a logical and deductive mind; like Spock or Sherlock Holmes.

Logical deduction says murder to me.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Here is what one of the expert witnesses on Aaron's side of US vs Swartz wrote about the charges against him.

Don't know if there's a conspiracy other than "massive overcharge" but it is very sad that smart people are dying so young.

Aaron Swartz Died Innocent — Here Is the Evidence

Professor Lessig writes more eloquently than I can on prosecutorial discretion and responsibility, but I certainly agree that Aaron's death demands a great deal of soul searching by the US Attorney who decided to massively overcharge this young man and the MIT administrators who decided to involve federal law enforcement.

And here's a Video: Aaron Swartz Progressive Change Campaign Commitee Founder - SpunOut.ie Interviews (January 2010).

edit on 13-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firstlight2point0

This reminds me of the Washington madam that was going to testify against powerful people in DC. After telling ALEX JONES she was not and would not commit suicide she was found hanging in a shed?Just before trial?

Starting @ 0:45. People get suicided at the most convenient times.

edit on 13-1-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

A suicide, seems that is the cause of death for everyone these days, especially when it comes to those who SPEAK TRUTH! I have no idea why people still buy into the BS. Nothing we are told is the truth anymore. Now especially anyone who still questions us so called "CONSPIRACY THEORIST" is blind and will never see. \
The difference between a conspiracy theorist and a sleeping zombie? We know our history! If history and truth is a conspiracy so be it, however, I IS NOT A THEORY.

It's just nice to see that some of us are AWAKE! It's brave to speak out, most know how deadly it is, yet they are still speaking! I call that a HERO, but that's just me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join