It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aaron Swartz, internet freedom activist, dies aged 26

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Aaron Swartz, internet freedom activist, dies aged 26

www.bbc.co.uk

Aaron Swartz, a celebrated internet freedom activist and early developer of the website Reddit, has died at 26.

The activist and programmer took his life in his New York apartment, a relative and the state medical examiner said. His body was found on Friday.

Mr Swartz began computer programming as a child, and at 14 co-authored an early version of the RSS specification.

He later became an advocate of internet freedom, and was facing hacking charges at the time of his death.

He was among the founders of the Demand Progress campaign group, which lobbies against internet censorship.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So what is your opinion ATS? A suicide, as reported, which could be explained by the pressures of a court case?

Or is foul play involved and an influential internet freedom activist was eliminated?

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

I personally would lean towards a suicide due to the proximity of his court case, but would not rule out the depth elites and copyright organisations would go to silence opposition or make more money.

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 12/1/13 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior

So what is your opinion ATS? A suicide, as reported, which could be explained by the pressures of a court case?

Or is foul play involved and an influential internet freedom activist was eliminated?

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

I personally would lean towards a suicide due to the proximity of his court case, but would not rule out the depth elites and copyright organisations would go to silence opposition or make more money.

www.bbc.co.uk
edit on 12/1/13 by SaltireWarrior because: (no reason given)

Well, with all the recent mysterious deaths of top people in the gun industry, it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to silence all the opposition that they can.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I say foul play. ..... Its after the holidays, so o reason to be depressed, and I don't see the court case pushing him that far. It seems many influential people are suddenly dying.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
what is it with if someone has a deep involvement in something and they take their own life then automatically they,ve been bumped off?

are people really that paranoid to think that? i just think thats madness.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
perhaps a sensitive kid who spent most of his time behind a computer pushed to the limits by facing serious charges.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet
perhaps a sensitive kid who spent most of his time behind a computer pushed to the limits by facing serious charges.
yeah exactly.....no big conspiracy

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

i bet he was found as a main contributer to anon and murfed out by the feds.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
For someone who was an activist and a fighter ....he didn't go out fighting.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SaltireWarrior

"Suicide", huh?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior

I am going with the above. I think he was going to win the court case (someone that smart had an ace up his sleeve)...and professionals were called in to make it look like a suicide.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Exactly! That's why it's odd to me that some one who was Such a fighter and activist for rights didn't go out fighting.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There is no reason for them to murder him when they had him by the balls, going to be locked up for a long time..

Having him murdered in prison would be way easier if that is what they wanted.

He was going to get 15 or 20 years in prison, that is harder for a rich person to handle..

Could you imagine going from lambo's and mansions to big bubba in a 5x5 cell??

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'd like to know more about this court case and the charges (as well as any other groups or activism he was a part of.)

Based on very limited preliminary information, this does set off some alarms with me.

Sure, a court case can be a lot of pressure-- as anyone who's seen one first-hand can tell you. However:

Swartz was charged in July 2011 with felony hacking, accused of stealing millions of documents from online research outlet JSTOR. Swartz pled not guilty in September 2012, but was still facing a possible prison sentence, ZDNet reports. Demand Progress's executive director wrote in 2011, "It’s like trying to put someone in jail for allegedly checking too many books out of the library."

Emphasis added.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think he was taken out to stop the court case against him. The powers that be didn't want the files he supposably
stole seeing the light of day.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
These sudden deaths of activists, dissidents or political opponents ALWAYS happen just prior to a new dictatorship. Not all of them are murder of course but all must be considered possible foul play.
In light of recent events and the likelyhood of gun confiscation just around the corner, it must be expected that many more will lose their lives.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

was he losing his freedom the next day? If not, then that logic smells of BS.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tompdx3
I think he was taken out to stop the court case against him. The powers that be didn't want the files he supposably
stole seeing the light of day.

That is a very good point actually. Because the files would have to be tendered as evidence right?? Without that evidence, even censored, then the case against him is weakened to a point.

But then again, he allegedly had depression previously and a looming court case is quite a significant stressor.

I'm sitting on the fence with this one, however, "alarm bells" are ringing for me too.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Another suicide with two shots to the head............

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
OMG he was suicided!

What I want is jail sentences, holding tanks and for all the administration and corrupt corporate heads to be put aways somewhere where they can't harm anyone and we don't ever have to experience their presence until God or Goodness has performed a very long term maintenance on them far far in the future, ever so long past our lifetimes.

edit on 12-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join