It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to defeat infrared night vision and other SHTF tips

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
this has been discussed before: www.abovetopsecret.com...

found some interesting stuff:

how to hide making an infrared Mask / hat mods-n-hacks.wonderhowto.com...

some other advice included using any emergency blanket (cut a whole in center and use as a poncho to keep cool)

Thermal sleeping bag test: www.youtube.com...#!

also, use your tv remote to detect hidden IR cams: www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-1-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

I tried to make that Infra red mask a while ago, it simply does not really work.
LEDs have a range that they emit light at, like a flashlight. When you turn it on it does not simply light up a full 180 degrees in front of you. So these LEDs don't offer enough range and they are really not that powerfull enough to do what is done in the videos.
All you are really doing with that IR mask is shining a light in the camera to hide your face. Since they are IR LEDs they can only be seen on camera.
When I made it I notices it only really worked when you were kind of close to the camera and facing it. I even went online and bought some high powered LEDs with wide ranges and high output and the result was the same. It never really worked and all I got was some laughs when I would go through the drive through.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I have something that can beat any of the above mentioned things, chances are you have it in your kitchen, and as the OP mentioned, as long is it is not touching your body chances are it will not register your body heat.

Duh da da da duh duh duh... tin foil. Yep the standard stuff can beat thermal imaging, as well as night vision. It's a matter of facing shiny side towards said heat signature or away from it for the device. I am not going to give it away, as I'd like those of us who have these devices to try it out for themselves. Let me know what you discover and let me know. It has worked on both Gen 1, 2 and 3 Thermal and night vision goggles for me and my boys playing a friendly game of air soft. Yeah, I've played games with guys who have brought out their completely ridiculous and unnecessary toys. Oh, and if it's raining this trick pretty much doubles in it's effectiveness. Again, not anywhere near the heat source itself. It works, field tested.

How ever, I will say this, if your " cloak " is in an area with dense brush it may register as an extreme cold spot, which might give away the hidden object based on the fact Thermal will register a big "weird" cold spot.

The alluminum(tin) foil will get really cold, really fast given it's surface area and thickness.

(hint shiny side in reflects any heat the tin[alluminum] foil is exposed to back at it's target and given it's surface area and mass, it does not retain much heat.)
edit on 14-1-2013 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
THANKYOU! For giving this the recognition it deserves... So many people ignore/arent aware of the issue of IR equipment, which is very quickly becoming standard for all police forces/etc. not to mention being common on board drones. Hiding yourself in terms of regular visibility is not going to be near as important as hiding heat signatures in the near future.
edit on 14-1-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Why do I get the feeling this was posted to find out ways to hide from infrared night vision? If so you all provided him with great info!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This seems pretty relevant to the discussion going on here.

Stealth Wear: New Counter-Surveillance Clothing Makes You Invisible to Drones

Making its debut on January 17th, the Stealth Wear line will include hoodies, scarves, hats, and t-shirts that will make the wearer invisible to thermal imaging cameras widely used throughout the unmanned aerial vehicle community.

The flagship Stealth Wear line will include:

The anti-drone hoodie and anti-drone scarf: Garments designed to thwart thermal imaging, a technology used widely by UAVs.
The XX-shirt: A x-ray shielding print in the shape of a heart, that protects your heart from x-ray radiation

Will it really work? Who knows. If it does, I might have to pick up a few hoodies. Though without covering all body parts, not sure how useful it will be.

In the article they also discuss disguises that will fool face recognition technologies. And an anti-phone accessory that allows you to instantly zero out your phone’s signal. Sad that it has come to needing stealth technology, but big brother is watching so take advantage of it while you can.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Maybe this one will work;www.quora.com...

reply to post by intrptr

Thanks

edit on 14-1-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Thank you for the informative post. Great information my friend.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Great post, great way to present your argument/information.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
You can run and hide from flir. THat one poster was correct you just can't get pinned down. A long time ago I knew some teenagers who would infiltrate griffith park a night for fun. Do little commando missions where they'd sneak past the ranger and his dog watching tv. Make their way up to the griffith observatory and then mess with the security there. Skittle little pebbles behind their back from the tree line while they were on patrol.

Well one early morning the ranger was fed up and tried tracking the kids with the dog. SO the kids had to keep moving. THe only problem was there was a helicopter hovering over the ridge line they were using to egress from the ranger, the dog and from the observatory. It was suspected that the helicopter was using flir because it looked like it was searching but without a search light.

Well the teenagers stuck to staying in the low trees which are more like dense overgrown bushes, and took their time constantly moving but hiding in scrub and behind boulders. They got out just fine and the helicopter was last seen still searching the area they were in to no avail. . . . So I've been told....

SO I argue that it is reasonable that one can evade flir actively searching for them. You just have to have the right conditions.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

That border patrol is really down there to keep Americans from getting out

And we can stop right there. Anything else from this source is now already unbelievable.
All you need is a passport and you can walk right out of the border, or back in...
Keeping Americans in...ridiculous....we go to Mexico all the time.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

All you need is a passport and you can walk right out of the border, or back in

thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I belive him.
look at the infra red pics.
you see bodie heat.
so if you put some thing in the way,
you can NOT see the bodie heat !

BUT THEM dont want you to Know this.
they dont want you to know how easy it is to beat them!
Done fall for the propagander...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Many growers of a certain substance in California have been using the following for similar purposes for quite some time.

www.discount-hydro.com...
edit on 14-1-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just wanted to share.

A few years back, some military associates and myself went out on an excursion. The trip was a survival trial. We all were given military grade equipment but with a limit of batteries. We also we told we were allowed to visit the local home department stores the night prior.

The idea was how to overcome/find weaknesses in our equipment.

Surely enough, we all had cameras. On the first night out, this was used by each of us. They used typical tricks, like clay, and synthetics to mess with the imaging, but most of them were still found. On my turn out, I had decided to place in my backpack 3 cans (didn't need that many) of spray insulation. The kind that foams up and then hardens.

I found a nice patch of twigs under a short rock cutout, laid myself down, and filled the edges with the spray insulation. Once inside, I found that I had considerable room enough to even light a sterno (portable gas cooker) can and cook up dinner. (this was part of the challenge - long term "drone" avoidance) From the outside, I was told, the area was still in the blue/black. The area was surrounded by circular high-vantage points.

One of those things that shouldn't be said, I suppose, but try as we might, we couldn't find a way to get the cameras to work through the foam sealant. Needless to say, I "won" the experiment. Another guy (1 other out of 6) was not captured either but his methods were a bit advanced, so I won't bother with it here.

Anyways, just wanted to share the personal story. There are limits to the concept, but from an urban-escape-to-wild environment, or other, it may be possible.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Here is a related video I made for another thread on ATS.

I used an unmodified, $15 synthetic sleeping bag in this video.

That's hysterical. An ordinary sleeping bag can hide you, but an ordinary house cat can fink you out!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I warned you that I would call you out on your lies and now here it is.

Originally posted by Hijinx
Duh da da da duh duh duh... tin foil. Yep the standard stuff can beat thermal imaging, as well as night vision. It's a matter of facing shiny side towards said heat signature or away from it for the device.

Wrapping yourself in tinfoil is the equivalent of wrapping yourself in a disco ball. Don't take my word for it. Watch the videos I made below. But first let me finish reaming you out.

It has worked on both Gen 1, 2 and 3 Thermal and night vision goggles for me and my boys playing a friendly game of air soft.

So you've had at least three different thermal imagers spanning three generations of technology and costing many tens of thousands of dollars out to play air soft? That's impressive.

Also, could we presume that anybody with that much experience with these devices would know that thermal imagers are not categorized as Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3. Night vision devices (specifically image intensifiers) are. How could you have tested technology that does not even exist?

It works, field tested.

*cough*

if your " cloak " is in an area with dense brush it may register as an extreme cold spot, which might give away the hidden object based on the fact Thermal will register a big "weird" cold spot.

The alluminum(tin) foil will get really cold, really fast given it's surface area and thickness.

Really? What made it cold? What conducted the heat away from it? Shouldn't it be at approximately the ambient temperature like all other inanimate objects or acquiring heat from your body and reflecting the surrounding scene because it is metal which is highly reflective in the thermal band?

(hint shiny side in reflects any heat the tin[alluminum] foil is exposed to back at it's target and given it's surface area and mass, it does not retain much heat.)

Both sides of the foil are equally as reflective. However one side is smoother than the other. Of course if you had actually tested this you would know that it doesn't matter because thermal band radiation is of such a long wavelength that even the rough side of the foil is smooth enough to have mirror like properties in that part of the spectrum.

ATS has T&C against purposefully posting false information. I'm asking the mods to take your post into consideration.

Anyway, I knew exactly what effect being wrapped in foil would have but what is the sense in posting it if you can't back it up so here I've done some testing on video.

First, foil vs Gen 3 night vision.

Direct Video Link
As you can see the bits and pieces covered with foil are no more invisible than the rest of me.

Advantages:
-Shooter might miss because they are laughing so hard.

Disadvantages:
-Makes you stand out like a sore thumb.
-Crinkles very loudly.
-Is in constant need of repair (I was fixing it several times just walking around in the room and I couldn't bend over without ripping it.
-An overwhelming desire to get out of it 5 minutes ago.
-Itchy
-Pokey
-Grabs the pubes.

Next Foil vs Thermal imager

Direct Video Link
As you can see again the bits and pieces covered with foil are no more invisible than the rest of me.

Advantages:
-Shooter might miss because they are laughing so hard.

Disadvantages:
-Makes you stand out like a sore thumb.
-Crinkles very loudly.
-Is in constant need of repair (I was fixing it several times just walking around in the room and I couldn't bend over without ripping it.
-An overwhelming desire to get out of it 5 minutes ago.
-Itchy
-Pokey
-Grabs the pubes.

edit on 15-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: I fixed some typos.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gidwa

Its not uncommon for me to be upstaged by my cats.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Just in case for some of you who havent read this article it covers much of the topic discussed here in this post as well. I urge everyone to read this. The article has some very good links to bookmark for further reading.

Low tech solutions for high tech tyranny

A considerable threat to those who decided to fight back against the Swedes was the widespread usage of night vision and thermal imagers by troops sent to hunt down and capture dissenters (the Swedes called them “enemy combatants). The use of FLIR cameras on aircraft and the feared predator drones were especially terrifying to those who knew very little about how such technology actually functions.
David, an insurgent against Swede governance, was tired of hearing about how the Predator Drones would be the doom of all who defied the establishment. He felt that this outlandish perception came more from the fact that the drones had no human passenger, and so, no potential casualty risk.
The concept of facing down a machine that feels no combat apprehension is certainly disturbing, but not insurmountable. At bottom, what the enemy cannot see, the enemy cannot kill. And so, instead of trying in vain to fight the drones and their thermal / night vision on the terms of the oppressive military presence, he decided to make their vision advantage irrelevant by studying IR evasion used in sniper training. Regular night vision relies, in most cases, on the use of an IR light which bounces off targets within the field of view. This is often referred to as “Active IR”.
Thermal Vision reads existing IR at a different wavelength, usually in heat producing or high IR producing bodies, called “Passive IR”. For evading Active IR night vision, David found that regular camouflaging methods along with smoke worked well. For defeating night vision altogether, he found that bright IR flashlights and floodlights, and even regular bright lights like camera flashes, shined directly at the target wearer of the night vision device, would be blinded for a short period of time, leaving room for escape. Thermal vision evasion was more difficult.
David and his team first studied the IR Emissivity Tables of common everyday materials: www.optotherm.com... www.tnp-instruments.com... All objects above the temperature of absolute zero release a certain level of electromagnetic radiation, which thermal imagers pick up and translate into a visual picture. Hiding one’s heat signature is difficult, but not impossible. The key, as David learned through military sniper training manuals and combat analysis, was to match his IR signature with that of his surrounding as much as possible.
He fashioned a hooded cloak using a material that would block much of his initial warmth, then lined the inside of it with emergency space blanket material, which reflects back around 90% body heat. The cloak design worked well because he could easily take down the hood and unwrap himself when not in immediate danger, allowing the material to cool as he walked. Then David attached local vegetation to the material to help match its IR Emissivity to the surrounding foliage. This combination reduced his thermal signature drastically. Overhead drones could not identify him clearly as a human, if they were able to see him at all. Ground forces were a greater threat, but the element of surprise was still possible for the insurgents with cloaks. In combat, the tandem dangers of drones overhead and ground forces in pursuit with thermal vision made life difficult.
David carefully studied field guides to Predator Drone strengths and weaknesses: info.publicintelligence.net... David and his team then utilized a special strategy under these extreme circumstances called “False IR Signature”.
Operating in bad weather gave the freedom fighters an instant advantage. Heavy rain washed away thermal footprints and obscured body heat. Thick cloud cover made image integrity poor. Contrary to popular belief, the drones had many downfalls, and their eyes were limited in numerous ways. When in the middle of combat, where drone surveillance was most dangerous to low-tech resistance, multiple fake IR signatures were created using whatever was available.
David used a combination of IR Chemlights and hot burning road flares thrown all over the field to misdirect drone cameras. With IR hotspots everywhere, the thermal cameras had no idea where to focus, let alone which targets were real, and which were fake. IR strobe light flares flashed intermittently causing even more confusion, and masked to some extent muzzle flash from firearms. Larger objects could also be faked using pieces of metal heated with fire, or even heated metallic balloons arranged in a sizable pattern to mimic a hot running car or tank. Drones would zero in on false targets and unleash missiles, only to waste the exp
edit on 15-1-2013 by Hithe Merinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Don't wrap yourself in tinfoil. Anything touching your body will register a heat signature eventually.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join