how to defeat infrared night vision and other SHTF tips

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i came across what looked like some good stuff to be aware of , in case the situation ever arose. and considering that drones may be used in the future to hunt down citizens [you and me] in this country , i thought i should post this .

from this site ... link

All it takes to defeat infrared night vision, and I mean the GOOD STUFF, is a single sheet of 1 mil polyethelene plastic.
I tested only the thin film polyethelene that Wal Mart sells as a painting drop cloth for 99 cents. It works folks, and I will tell you how I know.
It is completely effective against government issued infrared night vision, both the hand held and helicopter mounted units.

This is what you need to accomplish for it to be effective -
Never have it wrapped tight on your body or your body will warm it up, and then the plastic itself will radiate infrared.
You have to have it extremely loose on you so that it stays cold. No where on you should it be close enough to you to be warmed by your body heat. A couple inches will do, it just cannot be in direct contact with you.
A loosely draped arrangement, and when you lay down, put it over you like a blanket.
Obviously if night vision is in your area you don't want to be out walking around, one snag on a tree branch and you could easily be finished. So movement will be slow.

This was tested on the U.S. border patrol, against numerous helicopters, surveillance drones, and SUV's. I was in the back country for three days on my first border bust attempt, and evaded them entirely while they were everywhere. And finally I got tired of the plastic, convinced myself it did not work anyway, and stood up ONCE with it off and got bagged immediately.

he also said ...

There is not a single damn Mexican crossing the border illegally.
In three days in close proximity to that damn fence I could not get across, it was too well watched and I never saw a single Mexican.
That border patrol is really down there to keep Americans from getting out, the border is extremely dense with drones, planes, and helicopters, as well as ground border patrol agents and if you think you are going to get out of this country by busting the border Mexican style when tshtf, you can forget it, there is a damned iron curtain down there and it's job is to keep you IN.

here are two other tips from this site ...

Tidal Springs
Get the DeLorme topo map of your state that they sell at truck stops. It's the one that is a full size book. Don't get the national one, get the one for your state. In it will be the full topographical information for the state, which is great for back country navigation because these maps include all the 4 wheel trails, possible obstacles, lakes, rivers, and most importantly, the TIDAL SPRINGS.
I'd bet you never heard of a tidal spring before, but knowing what one is can save your life.

Don't even think about lighting a fire without extreme caution, satellites are watching!
The Fed thought of this years ago. Under the disguise of catching forest fires early on before they got out of control, the Fed launched satellites to look at the back country and detect when a fire starts. This was stated as having been done to give a first warning of a fire that needs attention. But since forest fires get out of control all the time, it's obvious the satellites are there for other reasons. And I can guess what reasons.

some stuff to keep in mind !

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Interesting. Yes that would work. To a point. You do have to move eventually. And it depends on other factors such as ambient back ground temperature, camera settings, software, etc.

If you are discussing Thermography, that is a little tougher to hide from. Your body heat rises and can get around a piece of plastic. Unless you seal yourself in, in which case you might die of suffocation before they can find you. Anything that prevents your "heat signature" from being visible is useful. Hiding behind a tree is enough if you know where the surveillance is coming from. A chopper over head may be running without lights or far enough away that you don't hear it. People with scopes or thermal imaging equipment see different things, depending again upon the settings, software, background temperature, etc.

You could dive into a body of water, you could wear a wet suit (or dry suit). You could hide in a culvert, or blend in with a "hot spot" like an air conditioner or car that has recently been driven. Your heat signature would "merge" with the other thermally "hot" item and make you harder to pick out of the background clutter.

As long as you don't peek out or stand up suddenly. Many layers of clothing tend to trap heat as well but would be useless if you didn't wear gloves and cover your face. Look at this image:

The officers are guarding a Nuclear Waste train. Their "mid sections" are opaque to the imager because they are wearing bullet proof vests. Hers another taken with different temperature setting on the camera:

Notice the difference between the two. Before you begin filming a camera has to be programmed for background and "threshold" temperatures. Setting a hi lo range for the display to represent the colors for differing temperatures( if in color mode). So, below a certain temp, the back ground can appear black or be assigned a color. Its kind of like a gain control or "brightness" setting. Thermal imagers see "Heat" not visible light. They operate in the Infrared spectrum. Heat behaves like light. Thats why you feel the heat from a fire on your skin. The radiant heat energy travels through the atmosphere just like light photons. At the same speed as light.

The camera sees and displays the difference in temperatures in its field of view. So the face of a person is hotter or higher on the color scale than the persons clothing and higher than the ground or buildings. If a roof is hotter than a wall for instance then that is displayed in the next color on the graph.

Thats how you can see the train has moved recently, the colors of the brakes being applied are "hotter" than the cars themselves. The heat from the nuclear waste is warming the containers and the train car walls because it is heating it up from the inside. Like a warm coffee mug. You are not seeing the Radioactive waste inside its container, you are seeing the warm skin of the outside of the rail car. That tells you something inside there is warm.

Like these two pics:

The top one is of a half full water tank in visible spectrum and the bottom thermal image shows you the water line. You aren't seeing the water in the tank, just the difference in temperature of the outside of the tank at the water line.

Sorry for the long post, thought the information would help some to better understand.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

There is not a single damn Mexican crossing the border illegally. In three days in close proximity to that damn fence I could not get across, it was too well watched and I never saw a single Mexican. That border patrol is really down there to keep Americans from getting out, the border is extremely dense with drones, planes, and helicopters, as well as ground border patrol agents and if you think you are going to get out of this country by busting the border Mexican style when tshtf, you can forget it, there is a damned iron curtain down there and it's job is to keep you IN.

This guy is either a liar, and idiot, or both. I'm picking option 3. Having said that, if someone here on ATS can test his claim about this defeating Night Vision I'd like to hear about it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Explanation: S&F!

Wouldn't a couple of boating flares [either the sticks or those fired into the air] overload the nightvison rendering it useless?

Personal Disclosure: Flares also may be useful screening against thermo vision or heat seeking projectiles although I am quite unsure about the former compared with the latter.

edit on 12-1-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I remember a video about the scanners at airports being fooled in a similar fashion so it may be true.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I used to own a $20,000 thermal camera and you can hide from it behind a glass, it cant see thru glass.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wow, I can't handle the level of complete BS I'm seeing in almost every sentence in this thread so far. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't post it as fact. I own a thermal imager and I will happily go about making you look like a fool just to teach you not to post crap. People on ATS are here to deny ignorance not gain it.

First, the quoted information in the OP is a complete lie, probably by somebody who wants you to think you're sneaking through security unseen. A thermal imager cannot see through very many things at all but the ONE thing it can see through is thin plastic sheeting. This means poly tarps, vapor barrier, garbage bags, cling wrap and practically anything similar. In fact I use cling wrap to protect the lens of my thermal imager in dusty environments or bad weather. I put it right over the lens and the imager sees through it almost like it's not there.

Second, you do not need to seal yourself into something to the point of suffocation in order to hide from thermal imaging. This is because the atmosphere is transparent to most thermal imaging technologies so your warm breath cannot be detected. The fart videos on YouTube are faked with aerosol cans. That is why the fart is registering as a colder temperature rather than warmer. It is the depressurized, thus colder aerosol particles that are being imaged, not the air. Thermal imagers cannot see through foliage, blankets, tent nylon, or anything solid. They can see any heat on these materials that has conducted into them from behind via direct contact. This is why a sleeping bag which has insulation providing a no contact zone between you and the outer layer works so well. Make sure you store the sleeping bag away from your body before use so it isn't heated up. Rebels in Afghanistan, and Iraq have been avoiding detection from US military grade thermal imagers for decades simply by ducking under thick, ragged cut blankets. Dense spruce trees are an extremely effective cover from thermal imagers. Thermal imagers are practically useless in urban environments during or after a sunny day and their effectiveness is significantly reduced in rural environments after a hot day, particularly in the earlier evening hours. That is the time for mobilization. If it's been an overcast day then thermal imaging effectiveness that night is at it's peak. Mice, sleeping birds and even ant hills will stand out like wild fire.

Third, who the heck waves flares around to avoid detection??? I can't even explain why someone would suggest this. It won't foil a thermal imager. The operator will see some hot body waving even hotter items around.

I've heard people suggest lighting a bunch of fires to fool the operator. It takes thirty seconds for a helicopter to go from unheard to on scene. It takes 5 minutes to get a single fire together and burning. What will the operator see? A crazy person running around trying to light a bunch of fires.

I've also heard people say that thermal imagers can't see through a sheet of glass. This is true, but you are going to look very silly trying to run around with what looks to a thermal imager like a five foot square mirror in the bush.
edit on 12-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: of typo.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is a related video I made for another thread on ATS.

I used an unmodified, $15 synthetic sleeping bag in this video.

Direct link:
www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: of typo.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Didn't Mythbusters also prove that glass stops NightVision/FLIR ?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I have to ask...

What about those reflective Mylar survival blankets?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thats all good. But you do realize that drones have hover times of hours and helicopters can hover out of sound range and still kill you with cannon or missile. Your need to stay put for any length of time is compromised by the risk of being discovered by a direct search utilizing sweep teams with dogs.

So yah there are ways to hunker down, but the trick is to not get 'pinned down". Do you remember the drones endlessly buzzing over Gaza all night long? My impression is that it is impossible to move at night during that kind of surveillance.

In this video the Apache is watching these guys with Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR). Notice they don't hear the rotors or the gun until its too late. The poor guy at the end sticks his head up to look for it to his demise.

You can't hide from what you can't see or hear. And the thermal imaging optics on these weapons sights are infallible as far as it goes. They already pierce the night when you think it is dark all around. Unless you have one to locate the static "halo" produced on the turbine blades of the helo, you are meat for the vultures.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Two different things.

"Night Vision" scopes are a passive image intensification of "visible" light. They take what appears to us to be low level light (like the moon and stars, city lights) and magnify that many thousands of times. They are still seeing "visible" light spectrum, not infrared (heat) spectrum.

The terms used to describe the two different technologies are based more on the product than the science.

"Image intensifiers" or "Star Light" refer to magnifying visible light.

"Thermal Imaging" or "Forward Looking Infrared" (FLIR) are based solely on the Infrared spectrum (heat).

Both are "passive" which means relying on existing light and heat levels and both are commonly referred to as "night vision".

I didn't see the Myth Busters episode so can't relate. Watch out what the media tells you. They sow dis-info all day long about certain subjects. Since these technologies are what the police and military use to find you in the dark, the less you know, the better.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

.......but the trick is to not get 'pinned down". .....

.....My impression is that it is impossible to move at night during that kind of surveillance.....

..... And the thermal imaging optics on these weapons sights are infallible as far as it goes.....

Yes that is the trick. There are tricks. No technology is infallible. Nothing is impossible and thermal imagers are not magic. They have considerable limits/compromises. You have fallen for that propaganda and what you see in the movies. Every technology/weapon/surveillance system has it's place but none is 100% effective in every situation. Thermal imagers are relatively easy to defeat if you know how they work and what they can/cannot see. It is not like the movies and it is not like the perfect scenario examples that are released by the military. I spend a lot of time looking for wildlife with my thermal imager. I'm thorough, very thorough. I search at a snail's pace, even loiter. I have thousands of hours experience. I know very well how to adjust the imager no matter the weather, temperature delta rate, terrain, etc. Heck, I engineer projects around the technology so I know it inside and out. Yet despite that, animals get past me all of the time, maybe most of the time and they are not even trained.

By the way, Flir is the name of the company and "forward looking infrared" is just a term some yahoo came up with and it stuck.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Sovaka

Two different things.

"Night Vision" scopes are a passive image intensification of "visible" light. They take what appears to us to be low level light (like the moon and stars, city lights) and magnify that many thousands of times. They are still seeing "visible" light spectrum, not infrared (heat) spectrum.

The terms used to describe the two different technologies are based more on the product than the science.

"Image intensifiers" or "Star Light" refer to magnifying visible light.

"Thermal Imaging" or "Forward Looking Infrared" (FLIR) are based solely on the Infrared spectrum (heat).

Both are "passive" which means relying on existing light and heat levels and both are commonly referred to as "night vision".

I didn't see the Myth Busters episode so can't relate. Watch out what the media tells you. They sow dis-info all day long about certain subjects. Since these technologies are what the police and military use to find you in the dark, the less you know, the better.

I'm just going to let you carry on. You are obviously the expert and I can tell you have a lot of first hand experience with the subject.

Night.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Thermal imaging technology is easy to block, Flir corp has the data, but you completely lost me when I saw that our borders were to keep us in the country, Just drive thru the gate, no problem....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
By the way, this isn't true either....

"You could dive into a body of water, you could wear a wet suit (or dry suit)."

edit on 12-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: I added the quotes.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I'm thorough, very thorough. I search at a snail's pace, even loiter. I have thousands of hours experience. I know very well how to adjust the imager no matter the weather, temperature delta rate, terrain, etc. Heck, I engineer projects around the technology so I know it inside and out. Yet despite that, animals get past me all of the time, maybe most of the time and they are not even trained.

Excellent. Based on that obvious experience tell me, what do you attribute the animals ability to "sneak" by then?
If you would, please? Are you hunting? Or just having fun?

I owned an ANPVS2 rifle scope from Vietnam era. Eve though it was "Passive image intensification" with fibre optic intensifiers, it could see the heat from an exhaust pipe on a car or a warm engine by reflection off the ground. Near infrared I am pretty sure. Still it was awesome to look around at night. I used to see lasers firing over the valley on some nights. I think the kind that they measure tectonic movement of mountains with. But I also saw them hit the ground from Helicopters and planes that flew over head.

Yah, FLIR is a misnomer (like mis-info).

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

A "dry wet suit", the insulated kind that covers your entire body and keeps you warm in extreme cold water scuba divingenvironments is what I was referring to. If it keeps your heat in, then it also makes you invisible to Thermal imagers, "to some extent depending on conditions" You still have to cover your hands and face. But like any other trick, it has its limitations.

Try filming someone in cold water and let us know what you see.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I've done it many times. Something unexpected occurs. You're the expert, you should be able to tell me what it is.
edit on 13-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: Tic, toc. dainoyfb fixes a typo while intrptr franticly Googles for the answer.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

I've done it many times. Something unexpected occurs. Your the expert, you should be able to tell me what it is.

It goes splash? Really grass hopper, you already made it clear that you are the expert up top. Please do condescend to enlighten us lowly underedumacated peons.

Or not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join