Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Canadian Feds lose data on half a million people

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I can only say one thing here. Let me see if I can spell it correctly...

WOO-HOO!

news.ca.msn.com... - A federal agency has lost a portable hard drive containing personal information about more than half a million people who took out student loans — prompting investigations by the RCMP and the national privacy watchdog. Human Resources and Skills Development Canada said Friday the device contained data on 583,000 Canada Student Loans Program borrowers from 2000 to 2006. The missing files include student names, social insurance numbers, dates of birth, contact information and loan balances of borrowers, as well as the personal contact information of 250 department employees.

So there may be a possibility of this info just never being recoverable. Maybe students getting a break for once. Maybe not having to pay these loans?

But it looks like they want people to phone in to check if they are affected.

A toll-free number has been set up at 1-866-885-1866 (or 1-416-572-1113 for those outside North America) to help people determine whether they are affected. It will begin taking calls Monday morning.

In effect, getting back on the list of outstanding debt? I believe I would just wait for them to contact me...just in case.
And if I never receive that phone call? Oh well.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ah man! I paid off my student loan already from 2004!! I hope they find this information though, that could really affect my life. I think I'll call that number, wonder if they are giving out compensation if you are on that list?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Jude, I like your attitude. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to point out that what they lost was a drive onto which some idiot had copied the data. You can be sure that the original data is thoroughly and redundantly backed up in a safe location.

Sorry, but they'll never make it that easy.....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

TextOTTAWA -- A federal agency has lost a portable hard drive containing personal information about more than half a million people who took out student loans -- prompting investigations by the RCMP and the national privacy watchdog.
reply to post by jude11

Ive lost all respect for the rcmp and the feds a long time ago. why do they insist on reminding me why i hate them.
edit on 12-1-2013 by SecludedGamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by jude11

Jude, I like your attitude. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to point out that what they lost was a drive onto which some idiot had copied the data. You can be sure that the original data is thoroughly and redundantly backed up in a safe location.

Sorry, but they'll never make it that easy.....

And this would be why I put so many question marks...

Just hoping.

Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I would just like to point out that this is a VERY serious situation, with all of the personal information that is out there now potentially available for millions of people to see.
I am one of those people who had a student loan between 2000 and 2006, and even though it was paid off a long time ago I am certainly not happy about this insanely serious breach of security. Here in Newfoundland there are more than 18,000 people affected by this and a top lawyer here has started a class-action lawsuit on this matter.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Also, I would like to add that if you want to know for sure if you are affected DO NOT WAIT to be contacted, call 1-866-885-1866 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. EST and speak with a rep on the line. The call itself (once you get in contact with someone) will be very quick and the agents are very well informed of what is happening. I contacted them today and they stated I am indeed affected by this, however it my call that prompted them to send a letter which I should receive in 5-10 business days.
Also, as you're SIN and financial information are compromised you should also contact you're bank, Equifax Canada and TransUnion Canada to apprise them of the situation so they can monitor you're credit activity for possible fraud.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

How can I make sure? How can you say that?

join