It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mmmm meatloaf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Meatloaf was something I didn't like as a kid. Everyone who made it made it pretty bland so when I moved out and had my own apt I started experimenting with meatloaf to get it where I liked it. I now love meatloaf. I don't know why people make it without any thing other than meat, bread crumbs and egg! It is so tasty when you add a few other flavors. I also don't do the layer of ketchup on top. I'm not a ketchup fan and I prefer steak sauce

So here is my tasty meat loaf recipe.

Also tell me how you make yours! I like seeing other people's meatloaf recipes.

Mmmmm Meatloaf

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 tbs Butter
1/2 small green pepper, diced
1/2 small onion, diced
1 cup of diced mushrooms. I used half of a container of fresh baby portabella.
1 tomato, diced
3 tsp garlic
Dried oregano, red pepper flakes and dried parsley (I didn't measure this I just shook the container til I was satisfied lol. Use as much as you prefer)
1 large egg
1 cup of Panko (or bread crumbs if you don't have Panko)
1 1/4 cup of Italian Cheese blend, or you can use any white cheese you prefer or have. I used the Kraft Shredded Italian Cheese Blend.
1-2 Tbs Worchestire Sauce
1-2 Tbs Steak Sauce

Directions
1. Sautee the mushrooms, onion, green pepper and garlic in the butter on medium heat til the pepper and onion are tender. It took about 7 mins. Set aside once done to cool.

2. In a large bowl mix the mushroom, onion, pepper and garlic mix with the beef. Add the tomatoes, egg, Panko, Herbs, cheese and two sauces (Worchestire/Steak). Bake in glass casserole dish for 35 mins at 350F (176C) or until golden brown and the top looks like it has a little crisp to it.

Time will vary depending on if you use gas or what type of dish you use. I used a glass bread dish to bake mine in. I find it makes the perfect meatloaf pan. When I had my gas stove it seemed to cook much quicker so just keep an eye on it.

I served this with some veggies I wrapped in foil with butter, olive oil, S&P and some lemon juice. The veggies took the longest to bake. I baked them with the meatloaf then I raised the temp to 400F when the meatloaf was done and baked the veggies an additional 15mins til done.

I quartered half of a zucchini and yellow squash. I also chopped a tomato and add that. I love steamed veggies or veggies baked in foil esp this combination wrapped in foil. I also had mashed potatoes but they weren't homemade. I had no potatoes so I used an instant bag I had. Yup I used instant lol I don't usually use instant unless I have none of the other ingredients. I had a bag of red potatoes but they weren't good anymore and I had to toss them. They were growing arms and legs lol. I prefer homemade garlic red mashed potatoes. MMMMM!

So this is my meatloaf. As I said in the beginning I don't use the ketchup on top. I serve it with steak sauce if I want a sauce or I use spicy brown deli style mustard. You can add the ketchup topping if you prefer it that way.

Enjoy...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I LOVE meatloaf ...but I gotta put A-1 steak sauce on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick
.but I gotta put A-1 steak sauce on it.

That is exactly what i put on it!! It's so good on meatloaf!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

.but I gotta put A-1 steak sauce on it.

That is exactly what i put on it!! It's so good on meatloaf!!!!

You both worry me. There is something very wierd about that sauce, seems to induce aggressive behavior ??

"Boyfriend assaults girlfriend with steak sauce over ‘Fifty Shades of Grey"

The sauciness of "Fifty Shades of Grey"--the titillating trilogy that millions of women around the world are reading this summer--turned literal late last month, when a 31-year-old British man, apparently upset that his girlfriend was one of them, assaulted her with a bottle of steak sauce.

news.yahoo.com...

SC: What is this? (holds up HP)
ME: Steak sauce, sir.
SC: I only like A1 (another sauce, made by the same company).
ME: Im sorry sir, we only carry HP
SC: You should really offer more than one option. I don't like HP.
ME: I understand sir, but unfortunately this is the only sauce we have in.
SC: Fine. Get it out of my sight! (thrust bottle towards me like it's poison)

Whatever. I take the bottle, refill their drinks and get their food. I needed some help, so one of our other waiters J comes to help me deliver it. I put down one pizza, then as I'm about to put down the steak, the man turns so I can't set it down and says:

SC: What the F*#k is this?
ME: Your steak, sir. Rare with a baked potato
SC: Do you have A1 sauce?
ME: No sir, as I said before, we only have HP
SC: Then why the hell do you think I'd want this?

www.customerssuck.com...
edit on 12-1-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

HAHAHA that was funny!

I'm not that crazy over steak sauce. If I can't get A1 I'll but another brand even though I prefer the tangy taste of A1

Steak sauce is an assault weapon....lol
edit on 1/12/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Best meatloaf I make uses dry honey garlic sauce mixed with the meat then a bit poured over the top...
*drools

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
You know what I don't think I've ever had meatloaf I might give this a try thanks!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

never read it .....and I don't need to don't want to etc....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
A mushroom gravy will go nicely over a meat loaf ( without the ketchup layer) too! If you want to be more gourmet than the jar kind off gravy, you can sautéed up #aki mushrooms, portabella, and white mushrooms with some garlic and onion. Make your gravy, and add.....pour over the meat loaf. make sure you scrape the black underside fodf of the portabella mushroom....

The Spell check for ATS won't let me spell #aki mushroom...so...I'm going to try to spell it out one letter at a time..( this is too funny, and I'm sorry for the confusion ,but it wont let me spell it). s.....H......I.....t.....a.....k....I....mushroom.
edit on 12-1-2013 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

never read it .....and I don't need to don't want to etc....

Deny your dependence is the first sign.

edit on 12-1-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thanks for sharing, I've always loved meatloaf!

And your recipe sounds delicious!

I spice up my meatloaf, but I've never tried a1 on top.

I usually put some stewed tomatoes on top, and I just can't have meatloaf with out homemade mashed potatoes and green baby peas.

Have a wonderful day or night, depending on what part of the world you are in

-nat

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hey M!! You know I think meatloaf gets a bad rap sometimes. I know growing up my poor mother was the world's worst meatloaf maker. Poor thing, If she had ever decided to mass produce her meatloaves we probably could have constructed a rather sturdy house out of them!
But like you once I got out on my own I started to experiment with it until I now have a recipe that I love and others do as well. Unlike you, however, I am a fan of the ketchup on the top. Understand that below is an approximation of what I do because when it comes to things like meatloaf I rarely use measuring tools... I just throw open the fridge and spice rack and select what sounds good at the moment......

1lb or a little more of ground beef
2 large eggs
Milk (approx 1/4 cup)
Italian Bread Crumbs (approx 1 cup)
Italian Panko Crumbs (approx 1 cup)
Parmesan cheese blend with Romano (4C makes a great blend of this as well...and I don't always use it when making a meat loaf just depends on my mood)
Yellow Mustard (healthy squirt.. 2 tbs?)
Ketchup (very healthy squirt... 1/3 cup?)
Worchestshire Sauce (4-5 shakes of the bottle)
Finely diced Onion (approx 1/2-1 whole depending on the size....maybe 1/2 cup? I would use more but the too many onions and the fiance do not mix well)
Finely diced Mushrooms (If they are on sale that week, here they are expensive)

1. Mix all wet ingredients with bread/panko crumbs until it resembles something akin to cake batter in thickness...very wet I know but I find that this way it's all but impossible to make a dried out meat brick!

2. Add veggies until well incorporated
3. Add ground beef until everything is well mixed, usually best results using my hands for this
4. Divide in half (I make 2 loaves out of this because the fiance is NOT a fan of ketchup on top)
5. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes on a foil lined jelly roll pan because my meatloaves are 'free form'

Add mashed potatoes and peas and you have the meal I would have to say is my very favorite meal to have when the world stresses me out! This recipe is enough to make (for 2 people), 2 dinners and a lunch of a meat loaf sammich... well.... if it makes it that long.

Variations:
1. I've used Buffalo meat in this before and it turns out great. Since buffalo is a very lean meat I may use less bread crumbs or add another egg to make sure there is enough moisture in the finished product.
2. My fiance makes a version with ground turkey and swiss cheese that is really good as well but again its a very lean meat so moisture in the mix is key as well as not over baking it.
3. For those who like it the blend of beef, pork and veal can be used for this but I've never been a real big fan of that mix of meats.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That sounds delist! I will have to try it next. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
As a rule, I'm not a fan of busy meatloaf. I have found that the busier they are the musher the overall texture. I prefer a firm meatloaf that slices well, so I add in an egg or two and dried stuffing mix to ground beef, place the formed loaf on top of a slice of bread and bake. Served with copious amount of ketchup. Condiment of kings!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

when I bake mine I coat it in ketchup and then use A-! after .....1 egg is only needed no matter how much you're making via Food Network Alton ....

and Truman still I would refuse to read that BOOK I really don't NEED to. I ain't denying anything.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
A mushroom gravy will go nicely over a meat loaf ( without the ketchup layer) too! If you want to be more gourmet than the jar kind off gravy, you can sautéed up #aki mushrooms, portabella, and white mushrooms with some garlic and onion. Make your gravy, and add.....pour over the meat loaf. make sure you scrape the black underside fodf of the portabella mushroom....

I love shiitake mushrooms! Heck I love all mushrooms. That does sound delicious. I made a mushroom/onion gravy last week for my steak and it was so good I used bread to eat the rest of the gravy lol

The Spell check for ATS won't let me spell #aki mushroom...so...I'm going to try to spell it out one letter at a time..( this is too funny, and I'm sorry for the confusion ,but it wont let me spell it). s.....H......I.....t.....a.....k....I....mushroom.
edit on 12-1-2013 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

Shiitake has two i's

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Okay, this will sound soooo weird but...here is how my boys like their meatloaf:

Preheat oven to 350F

Combine:

1 pound ground beef

1/2 to 1 pound ground pork ( whichever you prefer or is available)

1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (Progresso)

1 can of pureed LeSeur baby peas (reduced sodium)

1 can mild Rotel tomatoes (VERY well drained) **OR** 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (VERY well drained) [which one you use really depends on whether you are in the mood for mildly spicy or traditional]

1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion

garlic powder to preference (I use 2 or 3 good shakes...sorry, that's how I cook...LoL!)

1 dash of meat tenderizer (again, that's how I cook...
)

1 dash of Worcestershire Sauce

1 egg (for binding)

Salt and Pepper (to preference) [way less pepper if using Rotel tomatoes]

Mix very well and form into a standard size glass loaf dish (dark metal loaf pans effect cook time in a bad way, sorry...it can end up too dry...)

Cook for 30 to 45 minutes depending on your oven...as long as meatloaf has pulled away from sides and juices are bubbling, it should be cooked.

It's the pureed peas that make it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I make my meatloaf the same as make my hamburgers. Just in a loaf shape instead.

Pound of ground beef
1 egg
Some basil (couple of tbsp approx), garlic and onion powders(or minced onion, garlic), oregano
Couple of tablespoons of barbecue sauce or steak sauce
Oatmeal ( or oat bran or wheat germ), just enough to get the texture right to hold together

I don't use any bread or cracker crumbs - the oatmeal/bran/germ takes its place and its healthier.

If I put in too much wet, I just balance it with more of the dry ingredients. And vice versa.

Sometimes I grate in a small potato.
Sometimes a couple of tablespoons of chopped celery.
With these additions you need more dry stuff.
Sometimes some grated Parmesan cheese.

It's hardly ever made the same as the time before, it just depends what's in the fridge.

On the top, I like to put on a honey barbecue type mixture

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Best meatloaf I make uses dry honey garlic sauce mixed with the meat then a bit poured over the top...
*drools

I've been thinking about honey garlic meatloaf since you posted this. So I ran off to the grocery to get ground beef. Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow? LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hmm, never put mushrooms in my meatloaf but I will next time! I grew up in a family that hated mushrooms but I love them. I never think to add mushrooms!

My meatloaf is pretty standard with one different touch I don't think I've seen on here yet.

2lb ground beef
1/2 cup cooked rice - instead of breadcrumbs
1 onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
1-2 eggs
Parmesan cheese - until it looks right haha, maybe 1/2 cup?
garlic powder - I use more than some people I think. I probably throw in a few tbs.
salt and pepper
sometimes parsley if I have it

Shape it in a loaf and cover it with 4 cans of tomato sauce. I salt and pepper the sauce and add parsley, but my mom never did. Bake it at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.

I always make mashed potatoes with mine because we use the sauce from the meatloaf as gravy. So yummy.

The next day we slice it, fry it in a skillet, and have meatloaf sandwiches.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join