Bolivia defends coca consumption at U.N.

page: 1
12

log in

join

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I don't know if they just shown ignorance or they did it for any other stupid reason, but the coca leave (NOT THE DRUG), was declared an illegal narcotic in the 1961 U.N.


(Reuters) - Bolivian President Evo Morales defended Bolivians' right to chew coca leaves, the main ingredient of coc aine, on Monday, saying it was an ancient tradition and the world's No. 3 coc aine producer was working to fight drug trafficking.


Now Evo Morales seems to have some support on this one but still too soon to proclaim victory. The chances are good for now :


Bolivia's condition for rejoining the convention met resistance from 15 countries, including the United States and the rest of the G8 group of industrial nations, according to U.N. spokeswoman Arancha Hinojal. But the objections received by the United Nations ahead of Thursday's midnight deadline fell far short.

In order to block Bolivia's return to the convention a full third of its signatories — or 63 — needed to object.

Among nations objecting were Germany, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Britain, Japan, The Netherlands and Portugal. Notably, neither Peru nor Colombia, the world's two other coc aine-producing nations, filed objections. Nor did any other South American nation.


No doubt about Evo's determination :


To press for coca's decriminalization, Bolivia's first indigenous president has chewed it at international forums, bestowed coca-leaf art on such figures as former U.S. Secretary of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and promoted the leaf as a "nutritional" ingredient fit for school lunches.


To the mods : There is no reason to close this thread. I did a thread long time ago about the use of coca in Incas culture and it was closed (some members posts triggered). Ban the posts, don't kill the thread.

www.reuters.com...
abcnews.go.com...


The Six Federations of the Tropics of Cochabamba on Monday called for a massive concentration of rejoicing and "acullico" (coca chewing) to celebrate the legalization of the coca leaf, approved by a majority of the 183 countries in the United Nations Organization (UN ). In La Paz it was announced that the festival will be held across the country.

René Jiménez, vice president of the Six Federations of the Tropics, said that the act in Cochabamba will be attended by President Evo Morales, national authorities and social organizations.

He said that about 80 thousand people participate in the event which will start at 10.00 in the Viaduct bridge, located at Kilometer Three White Avenue Galindo of the city of Cochabamba.

www.la-razon.com...
edit on 12-1-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I watched a documentary about the practice a few years ago, and the leaves don't have any effect stronger than caffeine, although they're much healthier for them, and with a diet that consists largely of potatoes, the leaves help to digest the carbohydrates.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman
 

Why would you call it ignorant or stupid when it is a cultural practice which goes back thousands of years and poses no threat to its consumers? If anything the UN was ignorant in declaring it illegal. Of course they couldn't have their black ops if they hadn't.
edit on 12-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Coca Leaves brewed in a tea, chewed or otherwise ingested has a tremendous effect on relieving high altitude sickness symptoms. Check out Bolivia's altitude - that's why it's been a tradition there for so long, as well as other Andean cultures.

ganjoa



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik
 


Quite obviously he was referring to the fact that the UN made them illegal.

Sometimes our awareness is muddled when we read things. Best policy is to read something else and then come back and re-read the confusing text again. Snapping at someone because of your lack of comprehension has the opposite effect of the one you had intended to achieve.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg
 


Putting the title and the first line together gives

""Bolivia defends coca consumption at U.N.", I don't know if they just shown ignorance or they did it for any other stupid reason, but the coca leave (NOT THE DRUG), was declared an illegal narcotic in the 1961 U.N."

To me that reads like a jab at Bolivia. It could be that that is not the way it was intended and they were to be taken on their own but it sure wasn't obvious.

edit on 12-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i've always had a major problem with the idea of banning a plant material which has undergone no processing bar drying naturally.
never trust those whose seek to legislate a natural product out of existence.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by Trueman
 

Why would you call it ignorant or stupid when it is a cultural practice which goes back thousands of years and poses no threat to its consumers? If anything the UN was ignorant in declaring it illegal. Of course they couldn't have their black ops if they hadn't.
edit on 12-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)


Ignorants and stupids I called those who declared the coca leaf illegal. Read again.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
I watched a documentary about the practice a few years ago, and the leaves don't have any effect stronger than caffeine, although they're much healthier for them, and with a diet that consists largely of potatoes, the leaves help to digest the carbohydrates.


Right. I personally used the coca leaves many times when I was in South America and went t the Andes. Also, in Peru restaurants offer coca tea. 100% legal.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
reply to post by CosmicEgg
 


Putting the title and the first line together gives

""Bolivia defends coca consumption at U.N.", I don't know if they just shown ignorance or they did it for any other stupid reason, but the coca leave (NOT THE DRUG), was declared an illegal narcotic in the 1961 U.N."

To me that reads like a jab at Bolivia. It could be that that is not the way it was intended and they were to be taken on their own but it sure wasn't obvious.

edit on 12-1-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)


Yeah, I guess I posted to fast. Obviously, but you got it anyway.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by daskakik
 


Quite obviously he was referring to the fact that the UN made them illegal.

Sometimes our awareness is muddled when we read things. Best policy is to read something else and then come back and re-read the confusing text again. Snapping at someone because of your lack of comprehension has the opposite effect of the one you had intended to achieve.



Thanks



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
why does he even care. he goes and cries to the u.n. looking for their approval in a country that 99% of the u.n. don't give a crap about.

does anybody even care that some dirt poor peasant in a poor village with a single bulb lighting his 1 room, single floor "house" that he lives in with his wife and 7 kids chews coca leaves on his way to trek 3 miles to pick a harvest for 12-14 long back breaking hrs in some field.

they chew coca leaves to basically be able to work the long days of hard physical labour, because more hours means more money and being able to feed their families. they only get sundays off. and return home well after dark. and do it at high altitude.

most of them don't have a car, and walk every where they have to go. if they're lucky they'll hitch a ride.

i don't think morales has to defend anything to anybody.



posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname
 

Actually they want to industrialize the process and make it available in tea bags, soda and other products and I guess they don`t want the US gov trying to claim that it is contrary to the war on drugs.





new topics
top topics
 
12

log in

join