It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French Special Forces failed raid in Somalia kills Intelligence operative.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
French Intelligence officer Denis Allex (a pseudonym) has been killed in a Special Forces operation conducted by French forces in which two members of the French forces were killed, 17 militants and 3 civilians have been killed.

At least that’s the official story; the French are playing some interesting games in Africa.

While the word has been distracted with events in Syria, there has been a Islamist uprising in Mali these Islamist rebels have been moving south in the past few weeks and a few days ago they took a key town in the country. The Mali government has turned to their old rulers the French for assistance in fighting these fighters which the French have obliged and are taking part in combat operations inside Mali as I write, 1 French pilot has been killed.

The French however did have one problem with this, in 2009 two of their DGSE intelligence officers where kidnaped by their hotel in Mogadishu, one later escaped however Danis Allex has remained captive since then by the terrorist group Al-Shabaab. The worry for the French was that if they were to strike against the Al-Q'ida linked militants in Mali that in revenge Al-Shabaab would kill their spy.

As such on Friday night 5 helicopters inserted French GIGN Special Forces into the town of Bulo Marer some 50 miles south of Mogadishu to conduct a raid on the building Denis Allex was being held in as a rescue attempt. The operation went wrong, initially the French said that one soilder was killed and the hostage was killed.

This is where it gets interesting.

Al-Shabaab are claiming that Denis Allex is still alive and the French are saying that they “believe” that Denis is dead however do not have any confirmation but further than this they also say that one French soldier was killed and one is missing in action, leading some to believe that this solider has been taking hostage by Al-Sabaab.

This incredible story is still breaking so I will post any new information, for now the links below should provide some further reading material for those interested.

www.france24.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
online.wsj.com...
uk.reuters.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 12-1-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xszawe

Well this operation in Somalia doesn’t exactly show their military capabilities in high regard.

I would say that it is right for them to attempt to recuse their citizens, it is still not confirmed that the hostage died, there seems to be quite a lot of confusion about the outcome of this operation.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Odd. One would think that with such a large number muslim jihadis in the French homeland, that they would be assisting in the Jihad activities not trying to stop them.

This illustrates the intellectual dishonesty of the non-muslim world. Either fight Jihad or submit to it. You cannot do both.

Fight Jihad.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

You mean France, the country that banned Muslim veils in public?

Such a jihad country...

The country is only 7% Muslim...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Hello

I just want to add something important : This raid in Somalia to free a french secret agent is totally disconnected from the military operation in Mali...
The raid in Somalia has been organized by the french secret service in order to free his agent held in captivity since 2009...
The operation in Mali is driven by the French army after a direct call for assistance by Mali's governement in order to stop 2000 soldiers and 80 vehicles fighting for Al-Qaeda in North-Africa...They were heading from north Mali to south in order to control Bamako and the whole territory...
At the time I speak , our minister of defense said that the hostage has been killed by terrorists and also 1 french soldier.Another soldier is missing.
For the operation named "Serval" in Mali , several helicopters have been sent and some Mirage 2000 from our base in Tchad.One helicopter pilot has been killed but the terrorist's progression is stopped...
edit on 12-1-2013 by Bennogob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bennogob

Thank you for that information but based on what I have read this morning it was French Special Forces that took part in the raid in Somalia and it was because of fears the French had that conducting operations in Mali would lead to his execution. The two operations took place only hours appart so it is quite a coincidence and that is consistent with what the press are saying.

Also it was my understanding that the French defence minister has said that he “believes” the hostage was killed, however this has not been confirmed that is to say they don’t have a body. Furthermore Al-shabaab has claimed that the hostage is still alive, time will tell.

You are correct however in your claims about Al-Qa’ida, I looked into it and the group I was talking about is not connect to Al-Qa’ida, I did read that in a press report however I have found out that the National Movement for the liberation of Azwad is not connected to Al-Qa’ida. The group of Islamic extremists that France has moved against are off-shot of Al-Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb who can have their origins directly traced back to the GIA who have long had a gripe against France. I have edited my therad to reflect this

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Three big things have happened regarding France in the last 24 hours or so.

The have had a botched hostage rescue attempt, took part in anti-insurgency operations in a foreign state and now I am reading that the President of France has ordered increased security around public buildings because of security fears.

WAKE UP ATS

if this was happening to America we would have loads of conversation about this all over the boards.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Nice to see you so active OP^^

As I'm French I can confirm your information : Our level of security against terrorist threat called here "Vigipirate" has been raised to the last level before the red state , really meaning that our governement is taking all this stuff very seriously now...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Thank you for your post; out of interest could you please let us know if the French press are saying anything else about events in the last 24 hours.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Ok so here is the latest news here : Our president Hollande just asked for some reinforcement on surveillance and intelligence informations on this region, also he's asking for an intensification of aerial strikes from our Mirage 2000 based in Tchad...(I'm quite sure these strikes will target some terrorist's positions in the north of Mali in order to weaken them...)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

edit on Sun Jan 13 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

thank you for that update if there is anything else you have to add then please feel free to do so.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentX09

Yup and it’s also plagiarised from a John Clease joke.

message.snopes.com...

Regardless I don’t really think this is a joking matter, events in France are really quite serious just now.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In another update, turns out that the UK is going to be providing France with support in their operations in Mali, however this is not going to include British boots on the ground….. yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
In another update, turns out that the UK is going to be providing France with support in their operations in Mali, however this is not going to include British boots on the ground….. yet.

It will, I can't verify that but I have a feeling it will. Give it time and we'll have 'advisors' in there. Helping.

Which will of course go so well.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hello again

After a Sunday full of bombings from our jets , our governement told us that now "they want to eradicate terrorism in Mali" so new targets have been added to "Serval" operation : Our army is now bombing several places in Central and North Mali (as I guessed in my last post^^) such as towns totally controlled by terrorists...Some ammunitions dumps and some refueling points have been destroyed...
That's all for now but medias here talking about intensification of strikes for this Monday...

See you later

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Glad to see a decade of war on "terror" is bringing peace to the western world. No really, this is getting good! Safe to assume this will all culminate in a Battle Royal like a cage match between the 3 faiths of Abraham. To the victor goes the spoils. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will test the MAD theory. I am starting to think this is what we deserve. Lets just kill'em all and let whatever God you believe in sort them out. Until the power of love trumps the love for power we shall never know peace.

It doesn't matter which faith trumps which as none know peace regardless of what they preach.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I heard today that the French solider is dead and that Al-Shabaab are saying they are going to show the body on TV.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join