It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relativity validates shrinking concept.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Hello fello geek and geekesses.

Here is a thought provoking idea I have had for a while now.

Given that relativity is as much about perspective as it is about observational science, what if our measurements about the universe expanding are being understood all the wrong way round?

What if in fact the space between objects is not getting larger but all matter is somehow becoming smaller or space-time is somehow dipping around matter to give the impression of everything else moving away??

Just a thought that's been rolling around my mind for ages now.

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Ah, you are a like-mind

ATS

And here is an opposing view point:
Aussie researchers rewrite Big Bang theory

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
So you're suggesting light travelling from distant stars is "taking the long way around"?

Might be easy to believe if space was foamy and not smooth....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
So you're suggesting light travelling from distant stars is "taking the long way around"?

Might be easy to believe if space was foamy and not smooth....

What I'm suggesting is that the observation of an expanding universe could also be viewed as matter shrinking.

But also something to concider also is the clasic model of an expanding universe beiong a baloon being blown up. where stars are drawn spots on the balloon. I'm sure you have seen this description before.

But in this example as the baloon expands so do the dots.

My point is, if Space is indeed expanding then all space should be expanding and matter itself should be becomming less dense.

The other thing to consider is if all space is expanding at the same rate then matter would also be expanding at that rate and we would observe a static universe.

What if......

The universe is shrinking and but at smaller scales space is shrinking faster.... Wouldn't that also look exactly like an expanding universe to observers??

Korg.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity

What I'm suggesting is that the observation of an expanding universe could also be viewed as matter shrinking.

But also something to concider also is the clasic model of an expanding universe beiong a baloon being blown up. where stars are drawn spots on the balloon. I'm sure you have seen this description before.

But in this example as the baloon expands so do the dots.

This analogy is wrong. The galaxies do not expand as internally they are gravitationally bound. A better analogy would be a balloon with small labels sticked to it.

My point is, if Space is indeed expanding then all space should be expanding and matter itself should be becomming less dense.

On a universal scale, yes, matter becomes less dense. On a galaxial scale, no, matter density remains the same (as result of space expanding).

The other thing to consider is if all space is expanding at the same rate then matter would also be expanding at that rate and we would observe a static universe.

What if......

The universe is shrinking and but at smaller scales space is shrinking faster.... Wouldn't that also look exactly like an expanding universe to observers??

Korg.

That is pretty much a case of perspective. From our perspective, the galaxy is expanding. And since our perspective is what matters to us, it is a bit of a useless exercise to imagine what the galaxy would do from the perspective of an imaginary observer.

As for your idea of matter shrinking instead of space expanding, I think it is not a correct perspective, as it would mean that the distance between stars in a galaxy or the distance between the sun and earth would also increase. Which is not the case.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The shrinking matter theory and the expansion universe theory are equivalent. If we make our world as the reference frame, the universe should expand. If we make the universe as the reference frame, the matter shoud shrink. The laws of physics work to both theories.
The main diference of the expansion universe and the shrinking matter theory is what is the cause of the longer wavelenght observed of the deep space objects. link:
wordpress.com...

edit on 30-6-2015 by romao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is an old idea. I was watching a lecture on expansion a while ago and the professor explained multiple reasons why we know that matter cannot be shrinking, something to do with forces if I recall corectly. I can't find the video now but if I stumble across it I'll post a link.
edit on 30/6/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity
Hello fello geek and geekesses.

Here is a thought provoking idea I have had for a while now.

Given that relativity is as much about perspective as it is about observational science, what if our measurements about the universe expanding are being understood all the wrong way round?

What if in fact the space between objects is not getting larger but all matter is somehow becoming smaller or space-time is somehow dipping around matter to give the impression of everything else moving away??

Just a thought that's been rolling around my mind for ages now.

All the best,

Korg.

If 'matter' was getting larger proportionally to space expansion then you would never knew anything is expanding. )

Sorry, misunderstood the question. It's more brain twisting than I think I can take))))

D0.
edit on 30-6-2015 by darkorange because: (no reason given)

top topics

join