It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie that never was, the stars that are no longer..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

There is a superstition that surrounds the famous American sketch comedy series, Saturday Night Live.

Some say a 'curse' hovers around the show, leading to an early grave for those who join the cast. It's certainly true that some SNL vets have died young -- though statistically it's no surprise that a few of the show's dozens of stars have passed on since 1975. In every case they died after leaving the cast, though that could presumably be part of the curse's magick.

www.who2.com...

The curse began with John Belushi in 1982…

Belushi was a founding member of SNL's original cast. He stayed with the show for four seasons, leaving after the 1978 run.

And continued on with other star comedians such as Andy Kaufman (1982), Chris Farley (1997,) And Phil Hartman (1998.) Other SNL cast members such as Gilda Radner, Danitra Vance, Michael O'Donoghue, and Charles Rocket have all been the victims of untimely deaths either by overdose, murder, suicide, and in a few cases, natural causes such as cancer or stroke. Although Andy Kaufman was not exactly a regular cast member, he was a staple of the show and is credited for numerous appearances. All of the other cast members met their demise after their stint on SNL. Kaufman died not long after he was voted off the show.

Amazingly, this thread is not just about the SNL curse, but also the curse of Atuk. Based on the 1963 novel, Atuk was to be a comedy film and scripts emerged in the early 1980’s. The film was supposed to be about Atuk, a quirky Eskimo who leaves his homeland and experiences civilization for the first time.

One of the first comedians reported to have read the script was none other than SNL star, John Belushi. However, comedian Sam Kinison became the next actor in the role of Atuk following Belushi’s death in ’82.

Originally, Kinison was attached to the role. "When it came time to start filming, Sam wanted it rewritten," says Carroll. "Once they started shooting it, it had accumulated a lot of costs." The production eventually shut down, and Candy and Farley, among others, read it and expressed interest.

articles.latimes.com...

Next up was Sam Kinison, who actually filmed a few scenes for the movie in 1987 before deciding he didn’t like where it was going. He died a few years later in a car accident.

scriptshadow.blogspot.com...

So lethal is this script that it even took out one of the numerous writers on the project, Michael O’Donoghue, the man who recommended the part to Belushi and Kinison.

scriptshadow.blogspot.com...

Remember that name, Michael O’Donoghue, from our list of SNL tragedies? Yes, it appears that this curse is possibly related to either the SNL cast or to the extended projects of this close-knit group of comedians. John Candy was the next victim of the curse of Atuk.

The curse supposedly struck again in 1994 when John Candy, who had been approached for the role of Atuk, was reading the script when he suddenly died of a heart attack, on March 4 (the day before the 12th anniversary of Belushi's death). It was around this point in the production's history that the press began to speak of a curse.

en.wikipedia.org...

But it didn’t stop there. It is said that Chris Farley’s death by drug overdose happened following an acceptance of the role. And of course, if there is suspicion of an unnatural curse, then details are going to get hazy. It is also reported that Farley shared the script with friend and colleague Phil Hartman, who would be the last victim of Atuk’s curse.

According to some versions the curse would strike once more, only six months later in May 1998 when Farley's friend and former Saturday Night Live cast-mate, Phil Hartman, was murdered by his wife. Farley is said to have shown the Atuk script to Hartman, before his death, and was encouraging him to take a co-starring role.

www.unsolvedmysteries.com...

In all likelihood, the death of these comedians can be attributed to their lifestyles. They were overweight, overworked, and drug-addled. Sam Kinison is the exception to this rule; it was an unfortunate car accident that ended his life. And in the case of Hartman, his wife was reported to have been abusing illegal substances and shot him dead in a frenzy.

For whatever reason, these former SNL cast members seem to have been followed by a black cloud. And the script of Atuk is safely tucked away.

United Artists has retained the rights and the film project remains in turnaround. "I'm not a superstitious person," Carroll says, "and it doesn't have any meaning to me."

On screenwriting hiatus to write a murder mystery, Carroll hasn't heard about plans to revive the script, to his disappointment. "With the right actor and right tone," he says, perhaps a bit cautiously, "it may have been a nice movie."

articles.latimes.com...

I find it unlikely that the script would ever be revived, and if so—I find it unlikely that any comedians would be willing to accept the role given its history shrouded in superstition. Although I am not superstitious by any means, I find this to be one of the most intriguing legends of ‘show biz’. I grew up watching Saturday Night Live. As a child, some of my favorite movies starred Chris Farley and John Candy. Phil Hartman was a comedic legend in his own right appearing in supporting roles in a handful of hit movies, sit-coms, and voice-acting spots.

Curse, or very odd coincidence? How is it that everyone who read for the role dies? Can a curse be placed upon a script? No one knows for sure and no one plans on finding out as the script is now locked away never to be read again.

www.unsolvedmysteries.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

The sources on this topic are dubious at best. I’d love to know some of the more intimate details that add to the legend if you know any.

edit on 12-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I can see you put a lot of effort into this thread. I applaud you for that. Plus, it is quite an interesting read.

Do you think maybe the fast paced, drug and booze lifestyle of overindulgence of that time period in Hollywood, may have had more of an influence in the deaths of people living that lifestyle. More so, than a curse. Though a curse is much more interesting.

Des

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Exactly, one of the final points in the thread is emphasize their lifestyles. That's why I put it into the urban legends category. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, right?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I must say, you do write a good story. I was hooked from the title....

This one you wrote, should be posted on some urban legend site, it's so well written....

S&F for your good entertaining work,

Des

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
There is a second script linked to this called "Confederacy of Dunces."

The thing that blows my mind. The first i read about this was actually in "Wired", the biography of John Belushi written by Bob Woodward....one of the guys who first revealed Watergate.

edit on 12-1-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Thanks for the addition! I did a very quick search to see if I could drum up some info about Confederacy of Dunces. It looks like John Candy, Chris Farley, and Richard Pryor also came across this script that never was.

In 1982, Harold Ramis was to write and direct an adaptation, starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor, but Belushi's death prevented this. Later, John Candy and Chris Farley were touted for the lead, both of whom died at an early age, leading many to ascribe a curse to the role

en.wikipedia.org...

Furthermore, it looks like they're not done with this one!

Fueling those "curse" talks: three previous Ignatius hopefuls -- John Belushi, Chris Farley and John Candy -- suffered early deaths before a film version could be made of Toole's 1980 book.

a confederacy of Hollywood filmmakers are once more reportedly toiling to make a feature film out of the Pulitzer-winning, New Orleans-set comic classic "A Confederacy of Dunces." Their Ignatius J. Reilly this time? Zach Galifianakis.

www.nola.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Gosh. Now I feel like a buzzard, sitting in a tree, waiting for cast calls....

What a great thread.

Des

edit on 12-1-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Nice thread NB!

Just a note that maybe adds to the tale: A few years ago I read A Confederacy of Dunces. It should be noted that before I was halfway through the book I was so bored that I WISHED I were dead! The legend continues......

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Are you saying they all 'died' of boredom from reading the scripts?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow!Great thread.I love mysterious tales.I find this so interesting.I'll be reading the links.Thanks!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Interesting thread.. I am sticking with the fact that everyone named who had died was involved into drugs heavily. It may be true that Sam Kinnison died in a car accident but he also was heavy into drugs. I recently read a article about the making of Blues Brothers and the amount of blow John Belushi was doing was insane. It mentions at one point the director walks into his trailer and on the table is a foot of coc aine essentially 5 by 5 feet. He says he flushed it all. The only one on that list I am not sure of is Andy Kaufman. I am not sure I believe into any curse.. and I am a die hard Red Sox fan. I never believed the curse of the babe. I am pretty sure most of these people listed had the same type of personality that eventually lead to great stardom but as well led to their deaths. If you get a chance read Wired (The John Belushi story-- some interesting facts in that book. JB was really into Punk music).

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

Hey, you don't have to believe in curses and hexes to enjoy the story--the point is, the connections are fascinating and they're what make this one of the most intriguing Hollywood myths.

Yes, their lifestyles were no doubt the reasons for their untimely deaths; except for the SNL members who died of cancer (2 cases, I believe) and one stroke. Andy Kaufman was not a drug user as far as I know, and Phil Hartman definitely wasn't a user. Kaufman died of lung cancer.

In fact, the Phil Hartman murder-suicide is an interesting tale all its own. Hartman's wife was an aspiring but failed actress who envied his success. While Hartman was on the sit-com Newsradio, co-star Andy Dick reintroduced his wife to coc aine. Hartman threatened to leave her if she would not stop the abuse and she was incensed. Drugs plus insult plus jealousy with a little dash of Andy Dick is probably what got Hartman killed.

The Hartmans were emotional opposites: Brynn, say several of the couple's friends, was volatile and insecure about her husband's fame

That combustible mix was undoubtedly aggravated by another factor: Brynn's substance abuse problems. A recovering alcoholic and coc aine user, Brynn had recently resumed drinking after a decade of near-sobriety.

www.people.com...

Hartman's friend and former SNL colleague Jon Lovitz has accused Hartman's former NewsRadio co-star Andy Dick of re-introducing Brynn to coc aine, causing her to relapse and suffer a nervous breakdown.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, sometimes these celebrities do live very crazy lives. And sometimes it's just very crazy circumstances that catch up with them

But of course, so goes the myth..Hartman died not longer after Farley accepted the role of Atuk and shared the script with Hartman.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Curse, my foot. John Candy died of a heart attack brought on by years of abuse to his body. Same thing with Chris Farley, your body just can't handle so many drugs. And Belushi? Yeah, drugs. Phil Hartman was cursed but not by Atuk, his psycho wife instead.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Speaking of Confederacy of Dunces, I was looking on the Wiki about it and it says that Zach Galifinakis was being considered for the lead character.

But the funny thing is, when I first read the article a few years back before he got really popular, I thought that he would be perfect for the role.

How co-winki-dinky is that?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well James Carrey known as Jim Carrey is still kicking

en.wikipedia.org...

Could Jim be offing the cast to further his career

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I think lifestyle had to do more than their death than a curse. A curse however is more fun to talk about.. enjoy

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
This is a very well written thread i very much enjoyed it..
I dont think there was a curse but that would make a great story

SNF- back in the day always seemed to me like being on drugs was part of the way of life on that show and it was welcomed ..
Anyone indulging in drugs and to the extreme the way they were doing it was on the edge sooner or latter something is going to go wrong..
But all of them will be one of my favs was john caddy i hope there all still jokes up in heaven

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Well James Carrey known as Jim Carrey is still kicking

en.wikipedia.org...

Could Jim be offing the cast to further his career

He wasn't a member of SNL. In Living Color...the Wayans family thing.

Also, John Candy was from SCTV, not SNL.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Apparently The complete screenplay was linked to the wikipedia article on this (at the bottom of the article).

I couldn't even bring myself to click on it.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Apparently The complete screenplay was linked to the wikipedia article on this (at the bottom of the article).

I couldn't even bring myself to click on it.

You should've clicked on it and saved us some time; it's a 404. Or is it just the curse cleaning up after itself?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join