It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olive Oil Appreciation: 33 unconventional uses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Olive oil has always been thought of as a great natural asset of the ancient world. Olive branches have long been a sign of peace. At one point when it was a popular anointing oil, the trees were considered so sacred that anyone who cut them down was condemned to death. Ancient Greeks valued the olive tree so much that winners of the Olympic Games were crowned with a wreath of wild olive.

Were not entirely sure where exactly man discovered the fruit, but it most likely began making its appearance in the Mediterranean. Fragments of olive pits have been found in tombs in that area, dating back as far as 5,000 years.

According to legend, the olive tree was a gift from Athena, the wise warrior-deity who also recognized the power of peace. Gray-eyed Athena competed with Poseidon for the affections of the Greeks, and had offered the versatile olive in response to the sea god’s gift of a saltwater well. The olive proved the better gift, offering refuge from the harsh sun, crowning the heads of champions, anointing warriors and athletes with its splendid golden tone.

Source

Recent studies have concluded that Based on the currently available literature, foodborne pathogens are not likely to occur in extra virgin or virgin olive oils.

Source

I wanted to share my love for olive oil and the many ways I use it at home. Earlier when I detailed my car, I couldn't find any armor-all, so I used olive oil instead, and it worked ever better! I go through it so quickly that I buy a cheaper bottle for household uses and the good stuff for cooking. Every day I seem to find another use.

Other than cooking uses, here are a few out of the ordinary ways to enjoy olive oil that are not only safe and eco-friendly but, in most cases, much more cost effective that buying other products.

Beauty
Shave
Moisturize cuticles
Remove eye makeup
Hair conditioner
Skin moisturizer
Personal lubricant
Sooth ear aches
Acne treatment
Mix with self tanner for even application
Mix with coffee grounds to treat cellulite

Health
A carrier for oil-based meds/essential oils
Cure diaper rash
Prevent hair balls in cats
Keep pet shedding down
Treat lice
Reduce bad cholesterol
Lower risk of heart disease
Makes you feel less hungry
Reduce nitric acid in body

Household
Shine/clean stainless steel and brass
Unstick a zipper
Dust wooden furniture
Condition cutting boards
Fix squeaky hinges
Leather conditioner
Use as “armor-all” in car
Shoe polish
Prevent mosquitoes from breeding in rain barrels
Sticker/gum removal
Remove paint from skin
Lamp fuel
Make bar soap
Preserve herbs

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

I love olive oil over my green salads!

And I believe olive oil (extra virgin olive oil) is very healthy for the body.
As long as you don't consume too much of it.

Just remember: Olive oil contains a lot of energy (kilojoules).

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by QMask

That might be the one thing I've never used plain olive oil on - green salads. I'm just partial to Italian dressing. Might have to try that with a few herbs.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ohh Olive Oil one of my kitchen favorites!

I have various types of extra virgin olive oil and olive oil. I cook with it as a substitute for butter. It's healthier and the taste is great! I use EVOO in my bread too, helps make it softer and moist...imo anyway.

I always have evoo and balsamic vinegar available. I love to mix the two and add some fresh minced herb and spread it on homemade fresh bread. MMMMM!

I recently got a cookbook via Amazon on Olive Oil. I love it! It is a great book and it has a lot of interesting recipes. The writer is French so the recipes are a little different than what most people tend to eat. I'm down for trying some recipes when my fiancee is home. I need feed back on how it tastes!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have never used it on my skin although I know it is very good for your skin.

My skin is very weird with oils and lotions. I will break out so fast, but I can use it in my hair. It makes it soft and if you drizzle some on your pets food it is good for their coat.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I use it on my hair too and everytime I give myself a manicure.

I need to look up some French recipies. That's definitely a type of cooking I've never done before.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
When my sexy hippy chick was pregnant i gave her a massage every day with extra virgin olive oil

Not a single stretch mark

Fabulous stuff.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Oh that's a super good idea! I'm so afraid of getting those in the future! And who wouldn't mind a rub down?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fictitious

Worked a treat

and my sexy hippy chick was mid forties at the time

so you would expect some stretch marks

lucky for her not a one

Even luckier for me.

top topics

join