It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX to fly humans to space by 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think the move to the private sector will push space exploration to new limits. Time to turn the page. And although I wouldn't want to be one of the few to be onboard of these test flights, I hope everything is a success and hope this is the beginning of once again pushing our limits. SpaceX's initial plan is to show NASA that their Falcon9 and Dragon capsules are safe for carrying crew.

Commercial space firm SpaceX will send humans into space by 2015, according to a company executive, marking another major leap forward in the private space exploration industry.

The California-based company hopes to send astronauts into space in a currently planned demonstration mission in 2015, and while the aim is to secure additional contracts with US space agency NASA, SpaceX will be sending up its own staff first.

The SpaceX mission will involve sending humans into orbit for three days, a change from its existing cargo supply missions to the International Space Station (ISS). We can likely expect a further manned test flight to the ISS before NASA agrees to send its own astronauts.

source
orlandos entinel

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

I doubt doubt doubt that this happens... I work very close in the commercial space industry and I have to say 2015 is a stretch... I would toss 2-3 years onto that guess... If they do put humans in space, it's strictly based off rushing it out.... There is one competitor who is head and shoulders above them and takes their time with these endeavors, I will not mention their name out of respect (and the non-competes I've signed) but THEY are the company to follow... Got Amazon?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

the article mentions competitors Orbital Sciences, Boeing and Virgin Galactic.

is it one of those?

ahh yes, blue origin. Maybe the crash is why they weren't mentioned in the article. Then again, failure is what drives us. the more competitors the better!!
edit on 12-1-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by six67seven
reply to post by jhn7537

the article mentions competitors Orbital Sciences, Boeing and Virgin Galactic.

is it one of those?

Close but no... Think of my last comment in my original post and who owns it. I cant "say" it..haha

I will likely edit this soon
edit on 12-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
After my initial interest upon seeing an article on Virgin Galactic, and my recent discovery of SpaceX in my area, combined with the interest I have taken with the company and a bit of subsequent researching and prying; I believe their goal date of 2015 is accurate.

Just my .02

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

My guess is Jeff Bezos, founder of Blue Origin. It is my understanding that they have a crash under their belt.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Deemo Diablo

Well, when a flight goes even a bit off the projected course, a controlled crash is what's expected

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Agreed, you gotta be dead on with that stuff.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
reply to post by six67seven

I doubt doubt doubt that this happens... I work very close in the commercial space industry and I have to say 2015 is a stretch... I would toss 2-3 years onto that guess... If they do put humans in space, it's strictly based off rushing it out.... There is one competitor who is head and shoulders above them and takes their time with these endeavors, I will not mention their name out of respect (and the non-competes I've signed) but THEY are the company to follow... Got Amazon?

It seems to me that SpaceX and Elon Musk are ahead of Jeff Bezos's schedule with his Blue Origin.

SpaceX has already sent a pressurized capsule to the space station and successfully returned it (while pressurized). Blue Origin has not yet done so -- pressurized or otherwise. Granted, being human-rated and being simply pressurized are two different things, but showing they can successfully fly a pressurized capsule was very important.

The logical next step for SpaceX after proving they could launch a pressurized capsule to the ISS and return it safely is to do so again, but do it while being human-rated. I'm not sure I can see Blue Origin leaping ahead of SpaceX, especially considering NASA sees the demonstration flights to the ISS as critical steps -- steps taken by SpaceX but not yet taken by Blue origin.

Who knows? -- Blue Origin's CCDev human-rated craft may end up being better than SpaceX's Dragon (or maybe not), but Dragon seems to be on the inside track to do it first.

EDIT TO ADD:
I suppose Bezos and Blue Origin may soon have a sub-orbital tourism craft, but I'm talking about LEO and sending crews to the ISS, not suborbital.

edit on 1/12/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I think its great. It will spur more innovation and most likely bring down the cost of space flight. It would have to so people could afford to go. Or maybe they juat want to pick up where NASA left off and taxi their people back and forth instead of Russia.

I work on some SpaceX projects. So i am excited at the possibility of this.

top topics

join