What just happened to me? I thought I'd seen it all!

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Those who know me best on ATS know I often write about the different sleep states we go through as human beings. I’ve been through it all, or so I thought.

Sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming, and even what I suspect may be a true astral OOBE are the norm for me. My narcolepsy only exacerbates and amplifies the intensity and frequency of these sleep states (or so I’ve heard. Obviously I don’t know what it’s like to NOT be narcoleptic.) My dreams are usually incredibly vivid, lifelike, surreal, and seem to last for hours. From what I read, narcoleptics are just expert dreamers. This is probably due to the nature of the chemical processes happening in the brain and/or the REM rebound we experience. Narcoleptics dive right into the REM state instead of obeying the 90 minute cycle. Essentially, our sleep charts look backwards! Just maybe someday I will write a comprehensive thread on narcolepsy awareness as it is something I’m very passionate about.

But that’s not why I’m here now. I thought I had seen all that is sleep-related at this point. Perhaps you can help me with this one. I have not googled it, because I am open to more than just the medical explanation. And most of all, I value your input and opinions.

I don’t drink or take any illicit substances; never have and never will.

Okay! So what happened was I lied down for my usual naptime. I call it a nap but it’s more like a 12 hour block of uninterrupted sleep. Just after I barely dozed off I was disturbed by a bright flash of light inside my eyelids. It looked like a hole had been ripped in the blackness. It was a fuzzy, grayish hole that looked like plasma or something static-like. I opened my eyes and thought, “Alright that was different.”

I checked my clock to see how long I’d been asleep (about a half hour to an hour.) I was starting to get very, very warm and very lightheaded. In fact, the lightheaded feeling seemed to affect all of my body. I felt like I had grown so light that I could barely move my body at all. I felt disembodied! I tried my best to get up and go pee in the bathroom. Although I consciously willed my body around, I couldn’t seem to feel anything. All I could do was observe from my eyes where my body was motioning through and make course corrections. Don’t worry, I didn’t make a mess on the toilet seat! (Sorry, that was in poor taste. But the point was to show that I had decent enough mastery of my body even if I couldn’t exactly feel it. I did stumble and bump into stuff once or twice, but nothing major.)

It felt incredibly uncomfortable though. I felt like I was paralyzed and the heat I was feeling was gaining intensity. I thought maybe my blood sugar was low or something. I have been warned that I’m almost pre-diabetic. (Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either...apparently I'm pre-pre-diabetic. But it does run in my family.) So I tried to snack on a few pretzels sitting nearby. I chewed but couldn’t really feel it. I was worried about biting my tongue or choking because I couldn’t tell how well the pretzels were chewed up. Then after I swallowed I did bite my tongue to see if I could feel it. No dice! I was hoping the snack bring me out of this weird state.

Because it was really difficult to move (I felt like I had to will parts with my mind just to complete the motion,) I just kind of propped myself up on my bed and leaned my back on the wall with a pillow between my knees. I was trying to stay awake hoping I could stir myself out of this stupor. I was still drowsy and the heat was so bad that I had to throw all my blankets off (we just got a fresh coat of snow, so I know it was plenty cold too.)

I stared at my wall which has posters and pictures all over. It is also decorated with fake flowers and leaves and vines etc. It was the most beautiful and vivid thing I’ve ever seen! I realized how incredibly surreal everything seemed. It was dynamic and living now—the colors were brighter and more captivating. It was like living inside a painting.

After a few minutes I just dozed back off. This was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced! I felt completely disembodied and felt very little to no sensation. And yet, I had some kind of basic, inept control of my body. It wasn’t as easy as just lifting my legs to walk to the bathroom. I had to really just focus my attention on what I wanted to do and it seemed like my body clumsily obeyed.

Was this just another narcoleptic system glitch? Was it perhaps a diabetic episode? I can’t help but wonder why that flash of light was a prelude to the whole thing. Looked a bit like this except more grayish and more uniform (my flash didn’t have all those arms and swirls.)

edit on 12-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Are you 100% sure you weren't having an oobe? If so, then I would advise a visit to the doctor, pronto!
That flash of light could have been something "firing" in your brain to "spark" these events.

It could have been something more of a spiritual experience you were being shown, but I don't know what the message could have been. ?????

I hope everything is okay with you. Whatever happened, it sounds like a pretty awesome experience with the deeper colors, and beauty you experienced. But, I would get checked out, just to be on the safe side.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sled735

Are you 100% sure you weren't having an oobe? If so, then I would advise a visit to the doctor, pronto!

I am absolutely sure that I was fully awake and alert. I was more worried that I was slipping into a diabetic coma or something though. Thankfully, after I fell asleep the second time I woke up just fine.

It was actually kind of neat. It felt uncomfortable because it was new and unexpected, but it really wasn't that bad. If there is some underlying medical problem, then I'm glad it was one of the more intriguing misfires I've ever had

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

sleep walking but on a totally different level
thats all i have got sorry

as i think i have seen my eldest do this
but he had no idea the next day

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just wanted to do a bit of a preemptive strike here. Yes, I do know all about sleep paralysis and hypnagogia. I am well aware of the science behind these phenomena as they are especially prominent symptoms of narcolepsy.

Hallucinations: Usually, these delusional experiences are vivid and frequently frightening. The content is primarily visual, but any of the other senses can be involved. These are called hypnagogic hallucinations when accompanying sleep onset and hypnopompic hallucinations when they occur during awakening.

www.webmd.com...

In all my years of exhibiting such symptoms, nothing like the experience in the OP has EVER happened. I suppose it is possible that this was a wakeful hallucination of sorts. Don't forget, a feeling of disembodiment, intense heat, and absence of sensation and pain (bit my tongue) are also included in my experience.

I can find no source linking hypnagogia to these secondary symptoms.

And if that be the case, I'd be VERY curious to know what conditions created this unique experience. It is a general rule that one's narcolepsy and symptoms are relatively stable and unchanging throughout the patient's life.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
you may have awoken with your consciousness still in the astral realm.

i had a problem like that over the summer , it's gone now.
before going to bed i would try to visualize myself having more control over my other self in the dreaming state, and i think this is what helped.

the site 'educate-yourself' has some stuff on this.educate-yourself.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Did you feel sort of an electric "jolt" in your brain at the same time? I ask, because the same has happened to me. Just dozing off and Bam! a feeling of zzzt! in my head and a bright flash of light behind my eyes. Personally, I put it down to being a myoclonic jerk. Although, Myoclonus may be a sign of something more severe, so you may want to have it checked out.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Yeah, I got the 'bzzt' sensation for a second. After reading your source, I don't think it was a myoclonic jerk mostly because that involves muscle contractions...and I found nothing else on the wiki page to make me think it was a myo(muscle)clonic jerk.

I do have hypnic jerks in my leg from time to time, but not often.

I will have to look further into this myoclonic jerk and see if I can find something tying it in with my secondary symptoms: the heat, the disembodied feeling, the vivid sense of vision etc.

Really, I don't think a simple muscle contraction of the facial/forehead muscles can explain all those symptoms, but I really appreciate you giving me another avenue to explore
edit on 12-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hmm..if you felt the 'bzzzz' and your legs felt heavy...I don't know but if I were you I would see a neurologist because that, my friend, may be a sign of Multiple Sclerosis. I'm not joking. A friend of mine had the same thing. Be careful.

Cheers,

Your friend Maxwell

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxwell_Orlandis

Gosh, I hope not. Was it a common, repeating occurrence for your friend? Did your friend ever complain about other symptoms such as the bodily heat?

Honestly, my legs did not feel heavy...they just felt gone. I felt weightless, if anything. If it happens again I will make a Dr. appointment ASAP.

Thanks for your concern and thanks for the suggestion.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
you should look in the mirror next time it happens or take a shower.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick
how about this ....I smoke a cig window open my hubby smokes inhales air turns around says damn this is a small bathroom ....like he was a different person.....weird huh.

Huh?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Spirit transference....I guess maybe not just my imagination right.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
A hypnic jerk (technically known as a myoclonus and also known as hypnagogic massive jerk, a moyclonic jerk, or a sleep start) is an involuntary muscle spasm that jerks a person awake (so you couldn’t even stop it if you tried). These twitches from hell usually happen in the beginnings of sleep (one of the lightest stages). According to wisegeek.com, “People often describe it as a falling sensation or an electric shock, and it is a common, completely normal experience. I’ll also note that there are auditory and visual moyclonic jerks. In the case of an auditory sleep start, people report hearing a loud snap or crack come from the center of their head. Likewise, in the visual side of the spectrum, people report seeing a blinding flash of light (this one is very rare).

Nobody knows why these robbers of sleep occur. There are, as always, some hypothesis to explain them. It’s possible sleep starts are a result of the relaxing of muscles. Other theories suggest that, as the body drifts to sleep, the brain interprets various temperature and breathing changes as falling. One of my personal favorites is the theory which says that the body doesn't know the difference between falling asleep and dying, so (as the picture says), your brain violently jerks your body to make sure you’re still alive and to try and keep everything functioning.

These spasms probably occur more frequently for people trying to stay awake, people who are overtired, stressed, or those who have caffeine in their system. Alcohol may also contribute to the frequency of moyclonic jerks.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I don't think he ever mentioned the body heat, but I thought i'd throw it in there just to be safe. Call me a paranoid, but I honestly think that every neurologic disfunction (wow, I feel like a scientist saying that
) should be considered.

Cheers,

Your friend,

Maxwell

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Many folks around the world, especially those brave enough to probe the depths/climb the heights of human perception and all that that entails -- and anybody who is in the "alternative" crowd -- get targeted by the WRONG type of attention. And this, my friend, unfortunately sounds like microwave beaming or electromagnetic attack; this is done to create nightmares, induce physical and/or emotional illness, or even, at its very worst, induce a heart attack or stroke. I recommend working diligently at putting up strong psychic shields, using any system that is comfortable and natural for you. Somebody else can't really tell you how to do this because often it involves using sacred colors, ideas, angels, or whatnot that have to be something YOU feel comfortable with within your personal cosmology, spiritually; such protection measures have to arise naturally from your organic self, not be given to you from someone on the outside.

Another important factor; don't keep a cell phone, TV, or computer of any kind in your bedroom or in the room where you're sleeping; electromagnetic and/or psychic attack through such devices is a really common experience right now. I've collected loads of emails and letters from people around the world going through heightened attacks right now; be careful !
edit on 13-1-2013 by LipstickMystic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Weird, thats about all I can say. Im pretty sure it was a version of an out of body experience though

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I have had this happen once; I asked my Dr about it and he said it is common with people about to have seizures. I thought this strange since I have no history of it. It usually occurs when I am really sleepy and/or lacking sleep.
edit on 16-1-2013 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It could also be an aneurysm. I would get myself examined just in case.

Flashing Lights: Some people experience bright flashes of light, flickering lights, or streaks of light. This visual sensation most commonly results from shifting of the jellylike substance that fills the back of the eye (vitreous humor) or less commonly from a detached retina or a migraine headache.

new topics
top topics

join