It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitehouse rejects petition urging US to build a "Death Star"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

white house rejects petition urging US to build a "Death Star"

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com< br />

The White House says building a Death Star would be an out-of-this-galaxy waste of money — not only because it's against government policy to blow up planets, but also because the United States already has access to a space station as well as a laser-wielding space robot.

Today's official statement on the Death Star issue, titled "This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For," was written by Paul Shawcross, chief of the science and space branch at the White House Office of Management
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-1-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

"By focusing our defense resources into a space-superiority platform and weapon system such as a Death Star, the government can spur job creation in the fields of construction, engineering, space exploration, and more, and strengthen our national defense," the petition read.

The petition garnered more than 25,000 online signatures within a month, partly due to a signing campaign that went viral on 4chan, Reddit and Twitter. Under the Obama administration's rules for the "We the People" program, that required the White House to come up with a reply.

a copy of the full reply is in the link

This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

"The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

•The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.

•The Administration does not support blowing up planets.

•Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?

"However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky — that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations

bad news people lol

but what a beautiful time we live in...that TPTB would answer such a question

ok ..no death star

how about a petiton for an iron man suit lol

BTW title from www.breakingnews.com

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This isn't "breaking news", but already posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Although plans are right on schedule for the "Debt Star"...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
How much money was whizzed away on this reply? Even if it's two cents, it's a colossal waste of cash.

Frankly, no matter how good of an idea it seemed like at the time, this "White House Petition" thing is utterly stupid. People should not be allowed to create a petition nominating "Snooki" from Jersey Shore as UN Ambassador and the White House is required to respond to it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So how bout the government "hires" all welfare recipients to "work on the Death Star" and BAM no more unemployment.

It's bout as legitimate as a trillion dollar coin

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
How much money was whizzed away on this reply? Even if it's two cents, it's a colossal waste of cash.

Frankly, no matter how good of an idea it seemed like at the time, this "White House Petition" thing is utterly stupid. People should not be allowed to create a petition nominating "Snooki" from Jersey Shore as UN Ambassador and the White House is required to respond to it.

I agree with the sentiment except to not "allow" people to redress their Government. Granted, most of these are pointless and are harnessing the anonymity of random thoughts of keyboard warriors...who exactly should the White House or rather, the Executive branch of government "allow" to speak?

In any case, the idea is a backdoor to the idea of a popular government (aka direct democracy). Soon their responses will be "we would do this, but we have Congress in the way and if we didn't have them we can enact your petition"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Wow, I'm crying right now, I can't stop laughing. Hahaha

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

cosmiclog.nbcnews.com< br />

The White House says building a Death Star would be an out-of-this-galaxy waste of money — not only because it's against government policy to blow up planets, but also because the United States already has access to a space station as well as a laser-wielding space robot.

Today's official statement on the Death Star issue, titled "This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For," was written by Paul Shawcross, chief of the science and space branch at the White House Office of Management
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-1-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

What is this 'Laser-wielding space robot' mentioned in the blog quote, can anyone fill me in on that? I'm sure I probably know it by another name.. but alas.

I can lend you guys a couple hundred bucks but you might still struggle a bit. I'd love to see the finished article and go work there in some capacity. Gutted

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Don't joke, this is a sad day.

Think about it boys and girls, what happens when you build a Death Star?

You form a rebellion.

What happens when you form a rebellion?

Some dumb blonde farm kid gets to be a jedi.

What happens when said dumb kid gets to be a jedi?

He flies in an assault mission with rebels and destroys the Death Star.

Point being, we could have had x-wings and girls in bronze bikini's...but no...thanks America. I used to think you were cool.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I wonder if they are going to respect the petition to keep guns legal MORE than this death star nerd fantasy???

Or a petition to cancel the debt?

Nevermind go back to sleep people&government.

The purpose of creating jobs, for the sake of creating jobs, is absurd oxymoronism. Best to have an actual reason for creating those jobs that BENEFITS society and the tax payer. Anyone can burn money just for the sake of "creating jobs".

Sometimes I think I take this world too seriously. Maybe I should throw the white towel in the ring and cancel the match.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Seriously, who signed this? Yes let's give Government control of a DEATH STAR!

...is this idiocracy the movie? shall we just start watering the crops with gatorade?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vidpci

Isn't the moon the perfect "death star" ? Why do we need another?

Oops...forgot we don't control it!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
You guys crack me up all the way before i even complete reading the title of this article. Death Star? Star Trek? REALLY?

HERE IS THE TRUTH. have you heard of "Dooms Day", well, to those who don't know what that is, it is the original name of the so-called "Death Star" which existed decades ago. So stop copying names from Sci-Fi movies and start reading some books that have the actual detailed projects.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BristolStew

My first recollection of death star goes back to the george lucas film "star wars: return of the jedi". Awesome movie for its age and it was filmed in some tunisian villages out in the desert.

I was not aware "death star" goes back further than that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
OMG , i read the whole reply earlier and couldnt stop laughing .. now im refreshing that laughter...

come on guys ya all gotta admit that the guy who wrote the reply has one hellava sense of humor and a is a damn good sport about it all ... yet we still want our death star ....

so come on the age of star wars becomes reality ....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
What is wrong with these people? Clearly a Death Star, or several, is needed for when Obama takes away everyone's guns and the Chinese, Russians, UN and NWO invade.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Please add your comments to the existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

*Not breaking news*

join