It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

immortality means nothing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
even if we were immortal, life would still have no meaning. agree or disagree?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
If you elaborate on your thoughts you may get a dialog going with other members.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is for spirituality/religion, not medicine...it's a philosophical question...

Why would longer life mean any more/less than a limited one...??? I fail to see the point.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Life would have no meaning and i wouldnt want to live for ever cause it would result in hurt, pain and loneless.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Channy
even if we were immortal, life would still have no meaning. agree or disagree?
How can one tell if they are immortal or not? We all live in the moment and we don't fully know what the next moment could bring. The moment is immortal.

Life is now, what are you doing to give it meaning?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
well i posted it here because only medical discoveries will help us towards immortality. i dont really think some magic or spirtual or religious thing will bring immortality.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
if we are immortality after the moment why do we have to go through the process of living then?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Channy
if we are immortality after the moment why do we have to go through the process of living then?
That is up to you, as you are the creator of all that you experience. Did you decide to come into being, in this life? Ask questions and investigate for yourself.

Philosophical, but investigation and inquiry will lead you to what you seek.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think immortality would actually be more bad than good. To me the fact that one day I will die motivates me to do today what should not be put off till tomorrow. Death really is our primary motivating factor when you get down to it. If we lived forever what encouragement would we have to learn things, accomlish things, discover stuff when 'it can be put off till tomorrow since I have all the time in the world" Not to mention the psychological problems that would most certainly arise. Imagine living 200 years and how much society and the world would change from the time in which you were born and did most of your mental devlopment? It would be a mess to say the very least.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
also if were we immortal, our age would not matter. if there is not age, there is no stage (lol, its rhymes). how would you define a teenage or child or adult etc. what restrictions would you have? i think you should be in school till 90, gamble at 160, lol

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think there would still be age to some extent. It would just no longer be possible to really call someone old or over the hill. Age would matter because the first years of our lives are the most impressionable, once we hit about 18 we become hard if not impossible to effect drastic changes in; look at the problems parents have with their kids. As for restrictions I would think the big one would be the ability to have children. A race of immortals could easily grow to numbers impossible to control and eventually choke the planet if they bred out of control (Taltos anyone?)

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
but who decides the age limits? wouldnt an older person decide older age limits? no one would agree. everyone accepts the fact that we die sooner or later so we all have a basis to make limits and restrictions on age.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Regardless of whether you are immortal, life is best lived by living each moment as best as you can. Sitting around contemplating its meaning is pointless. You won't find an answer. Even if you did, it wouldn't make you happy. Go do something.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by cjane]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If we were mostly immortal then the simple answer would just be to have less or no kids.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
its the meaning that you give to it, if you dont do anything with it it wont has a meaning if you use it to do (great) things if will get its meaning.

See it this way if you work on a project and without you that project wont workout,

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Someone once said that the meaning of life was mearly the resultant of two or more things reacting.....If this is true then no matter if we were immortal or not, the meaning would not change.....Immortality would just mean we would live on..Think about this, if we were to prolong the life of say a "CHAIR" (I mean its product life) the chair would still me made for the same perpurpose, just it would never change....Ok over the years we may find other uses for it, but the main purpose would never change ! I guess its the same with life.....

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
without death love would have no meaning...
without love life would have no meaning...

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
without death love would have no meaning...
without love life would have no meaning...

i get where your coming from but i dont agree with what you say. if you love someone, you would not want to lose love, so being immortal, you can have your unbreakable love.

also you dont have to love someone to live. life has meaning when you aim for something.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
As usual, I seem to be thinking completly differently from the majority.

For me, gaining immortality would actually give some sense to life (or at least, my life). Time as always been a bareer for me, an obstacle.

Remove it and then I'd be completly free.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Time as always been a bareer for me, an obstacle.

Who created time? I think human beings created time. We created the second, the minute, the hour, the day. We created the time worldlines making them standard and starting the middle of time at Greenwich. Its where we get GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). If time was really an obstacle for you, you could always ignore it, lol

top topics

join