It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does (sp) etc mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I see alot of people posting and at the end of some sentences they write (sp) or (sic) now i know alot of internet posting abbreviations etc but this has me stumped.

Iv had a guess which is (sp) seems/sounds probable? and (sic) seems inconclusive.

But i dont think i have guessed right.

Could someone help me out here please?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
(sp) spelling... usually when someone isn't sure how to spell something, they'll put that after the word.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks, but what about (sic) ?

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson

WAY too many beers.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by markjaxson

its means that they are sick and twisted
lol (joke)

Anyways, i dont know what it means to be honest

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
(sic) means, at least in writing, and I assume the same of the interent, when you quote someone, and the mistakes is theirs, not yours.

Ex.

He said, "Deny Ignerence (sic), which is ATS's motto."

See? It shows that YOU didn't misspell, it was the person you were quoting.

EDIT: I hate people who use (sp). If you know you are spelling it wrong, open a new window and go to dictionary.com!

[edit on 27-10-2004 by curme]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Lol some people

Ok thanks for the (sic)explantion now i know what they mean i doubt il still ever need the use for them as i know how to spel (sp)

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
(sp) is for spelling. By the way- this is how you spell ignorance. (sic) is used when you are quoting someone or something, but it is not a word for word quote.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
That would be me who uses (sp).

I use it because I am too lazy to look it up and if people know what I mean why bother, right? I note that I am not sure about the spelling so people don't think I'm just above illiterate.

Glad to know I am unconditionally and impersonally hated for trying to be intelligent.
(curme)

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
----------------------
Used to indicate that a quoted passage, especially one containing an error or unconventional spelling, has been retained in its original form or written intentionally.
-----------------------
This word is sometimes inserted in a quotation [sic], to call attention to the fact that some remarkable or inaccurate expression, misspelling, or the like, is literally reproduced.
-----------------------

Misfit

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
sorry i am not very computer literate... i don't spent much time on it, so opening multiple windows doesn't naturally ocurre to me

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Absolutely nothing wrong with anyone using (sp) I've done it few times. I don't consider it lazy or negative in any way. I found it ironic to say hate using the (sp) and then use it anyway.
My posts will have "edited by" on them alot 'cuz I'm paranoid. Which is why I come here I guess.

new topics

top topics

join