It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51 Upcoming Gun Shows Ban Loaded Weapons To Promote ‘A Safe Environment’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This source is from Thinkprogress, which is a left leaning website, but regardless, the source of the article itself does stack up. There are many gun shows happening around the country whom do not allow loaded weapons, especially concealed ones, to be carried into the showgrounds:

51 gun shows in January ban attendees from bringing loaded guns onto the premises. In addition, ThinkProgress was unable to identify a single gun show this month that explicitly allowed people, even those with concealed-carry permits, to bring a loaded weapon with them.

www.tennessean.com...

Another source from the Tennessean demonstrates how far the owners and managers of these events are going to ensure loaded weapons aren't being brought in:

A glance at the growing line of roughly 100 people waiting to enter the Dickson County fairgrounds buildings where the firearms – as well as ammunition and survival gear – were sold was a quick indicator Chipley wasn’t exaggerating. The line had formed well before 9 a.m. on Saturday when the two-day show opened. Chipley was busy running zip-ties through the barrels of guns brought by attendees to ensure the firearm isn’t loaded.

www.tennessean.com...

Excuse me if I don't find this a little ironic, given that we always hear that more freedom to carry loaded guns actually reduces crime and violence, yet many owners and managers of gun shows themselves are reluctant to allow attendees to carry concealed weapons. I wonder what they have to fear about public attendees carrying loaded guns at their shows?
Ah that's my sarcasm running amuck again... sorry, I do understand why they'd want to prevent loaded concealed weapons from being carried into these shows, I just find it hypocritical.

An example below of the rules and regulations at a Nevada gun show coming up:

As the public enters all guns must be checked at the door, clips out and ties to secure them so that they cannot be operated, be breached or loaded. All dealer guns if not under a glass case or taken apart must be tied.

www.okcgunshow.com...

Now these are private shows being run, so likewise their decision does not necessarily reflect those of gun owners or their attendees (I'm sure some of their attendees would not be all to happy over not being allowed to practice their first amendment rights within the show grounds). But it's still rather hypocritical in the end of the day, considering that many argue that guns should not be restricted at all, and that more guns in the hands of citizens (specially law abiding ones) create a safe environment. Apparently the managers and the owners of these gun shows disagree.

I'm also sure that there may be gun shows out there that allow for loaded concealed or exposed guns to be carried onto their show grounds. Although I'm not aware of any major ones, but it still doesn't change the irony what many of these gun shows are doing now.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've never been to a Gun Show that allowed a loaded weapon through the door. Merchants have assured me they get no exemptions to that rule for "defense" or something, either. The cops on the site are the only armed ones here and the same was the case in the BIG Tulsa gun show I was finally able to get out to once a few years ago.

I think there was an accidental discharge here a few years ago and while the rule existed before that, I believe they got down right fanatic after that. Firearms in the one here can't even have closed bolts. There is Zip-tie used to hold bolts open and make sure no questions can exist about the empty nature of every gun. All checked at the door by Sheriff's Deputies.

I hate these articles that make it sound like gun shows are the wild west or something. It's insulting to suggest gun owners would BE in a place like that let alone tolerate it. Folks in big cities who've never really gone far outside come to believe it's true too.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think there was an accidental discharge here a few years ago and while the rule existed before that, I believe they got down right fanatic after that.

I'm fairly certain accidental discharges aren't the main concern of the managers and owners of these gun shows. We're not talking about the guns on display, we're talking about the guns bring brought in by the attendees. Accidental discharges aren't the leading cause of gun violence and crime, and if the rare cases of accidental discharges don't prevent many of these gun advocates from pushing to rid laws over concealed loaded weapons, it shouldn't have to be different case in gun shows, yet they act differently when it comes to their shows.

It is hypocritical.

I hate these articles that make it sound like gun shows are the wild west or something.

So freely carrying loaded concealed weapons into gun shows is irresponsible, uncivil, yet doing so in schools, kindergartens, colleges and other public places is perfectly civil and understandable? Hmm...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well, I mean it should be a given to not let people bring loaded weapons into a gun show, They already have police detail on site, besides who would be stupid enough to try and commit a mass shooting at a gun show anyway?

This should be mandatory.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Because these gun sellers know exactly the types of people they sell guns to and there is no way in hell they are going to allow them to carry a loaded weapon anywhere near them.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Ive never been to a gun show that allowed loaded weapons... where are all these gun shows with people swinging around guns with bullets in the chambers and hammers back that the article title seems to insinuate is happening at regular frequency?

Hell, if thats really happening, then the total LACK OF DEATHS from shows involving TENS OF THOUSANDS of (apparently) loaded guns is a testament to the responsibility of the average gun owner, and the safety that guns entail when possessed in large numbers by responsible, non-disturbed individuals.

Sidenote: its interesting... Im not aware of any civilian "massacres" happening where there are large quantities of guns in the hands of people who know how to use them, such as at a gun show. Funny that

edit on 1/11/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
Well, I mean it should be a given to not let people bring loaded weapons into a gun show, They already have police detail on site, besides who would be stupid enough to try and commit a mass shooting at a gun show anyway?

This should be mandatory.

I agree, it should be mandatory, but it's hypocritical considering these same people wish to mandate or require loaded weapons and guns to be carried on the school and college campuses by teachers, employees. If, by logic, there's no fear in allowing law abiding citizens to freely carry guns in society without restraint, why the fear around gun shows? Is it because at the end of the day, law abiding citizens are humans whom are not perfect and there is still that risk? Because if this is the argument for gun shows, there's no reason for it to be a different case when ti comes to storing guns at schools, colleges and other public places.

What I find interesting about your comment there is when you mentioned about who would be stupid enough to commit a mass shooting at gun shows. We get the argument that more guns will keep the crazies at bay, yet at gun shows, with registered gun owners, loaded guns are banned? hmm? What's there to fear again? It certainly has little to nothing to do with accidental discharges.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Ive never been to a gun show that allowed loaded weapons...

I'd be curious if anybody can link us to a major gun show that allowed concealed and loaded guns to be carried onto their showgrounds. I can't find one.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hardly hypocritical :

This weekend at a gun show in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., the display and sale of AR-15 military-style semiautomatic weapons and large-clip magazines will be banned by show organizers who faced pressure after the Newtown shootings. Other nearby shows in White Plains, N.Y. and Danbury, Conn. were canceled

What the hell do people expect from NY and Connecticut?>

A majority of Americans support stricter gun laws in the aftermath of the Newtown school shooting, but most oppose banning assault weapons, according to a recent USA TODAY/Gallup Poll.

Wonder just how many people who were polled owned guns?

Americans who go through asinine hoops for the last decade know how much of a hassle it already is.

edit on 11-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Hmm.. I'd said article in reference to what supported the title. The OP/thread wasn't what I meant by the absurdity of the point.

CCW in a gun show means your going to jail here if they find you with it loaded...as I understand that. NO loaded guns means NO loaded guns. I just noticed they got real harsh on it after that AD, was why it was worth mentioning ..and why the policy is primarily in place that I'm aware of. Anyone who thinks it's about someone deliberately misusing a weapon in a gun show by having that rule would be silly. I mean, zip tie is the only thing separating bolt from live round with thousands of cases / boxes of ammo for sale everywhere.

I'd never feel the need to carry CCW inside a gun show, personally, for the same reason I wouldn't in a court house ...but WOULD in a school or college. The gun show has cops. Many cops. My CCW gun adds a problem, not a solution where the cops are already all over any problem that would arise. Likewise, in a court house. My CCW is a deadly complication if they allowed it to be carried inside. The building is full of professionals and if they can't handle something, I won't likely be the exception to the rule of that day anyway.

At a school, since you mentioned it, NO ONE has a gun except the bad guy, entirely too often. VA Tech lost a Holocaust survivor, of all the people, as an instructor blocking the door with his body so students could jump out the window. I'll bet, had that man for an example, had a gun he was trained to use? He'd have lived and the gunman there would have had his shooting spree cut real short. Many other examples in school shootings that DID NOT happen by armed intervention exist as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Right again Wrabbit. I've been to well over a hundred gun shows in 3 states over the past 40 years, and have NEVER seen one that allowed any kind of loaded weapons. Maybe 20 years ago a lot of shows didn't require zip ties - and we're talking all over Texas (mostly Dallas/Ft.Worth/Houston), OKC, Tulsa, & Little Rock. Back then, there were a lot more "private sellers" than dealers (FFLs). Some Texas shows have really cut down on private collectors and can be 90% dealers - BUT STILL - even those guys carrying concealed are having zipped guns and empty magazine wells.

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I find gun shows to be a gouge fest price wise. Your mileage may vary. For that reason alone I do not frequent them.

The answer to this phenomina is as it always is the most obvious one - LIABILITY insurance and risk mitigation.

To reduce the risk of someone taking and using their ammunition and/or weapon or some combination of the two to go on a shooting spree they require the zips. Is it foolproof - no.

I will say that the venue organizers (actually their lawyers and insurance underwriters in concert) likely are the originators of this request rather than the gun store owners or dealers. I have yet to enter a gun dealership or store in Missouri with a no-weapons sign on the door.

Lawyers will go after the deepest pockets in any situation - in this case it would be the venue owner or event organizers. Most gun dealers are small fry when it comes to insurance pay outs. A large stadium, convention center (sometimes a fairground owned by the local government) or something - whole other story. Endless pockets for liability.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Anyone who thinks it's about someone deliberately misusing a weapon in a gun show by having that rule would be silly.

Your explanation just doesn't cut it. You argument here is that afew rare instances of accidental discharges caused these gun shows to ban loaded guns, yet accidental discharges, in those rare cases, appear in society as well. We're not banning loaded guns outright because of that now are we? Yep, that's some explanation you have there.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

At a school, since you mentioned it, NO ONE has a gun except the bad guy, entirely too often. VA Tech lost a Holocaust survivor, of all the people,

Speaking of which:

And Virginia Tech, which remains the site of the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, had what amounted to a SWAT team on campus. According to the governor's report on the 2007 shootings that left 32 people dead and 17 wounded, the Virginia Tech police department, a fully accredited police force, has an emergency response team. On April 16, 2007, 34 armed officers were on duty.

Neither Gardner at Columbine High School, nor the Virginia Tech Police force, were able to prevent the events of two of the worst mass gun murders ever to occur in the U.S.

Read more: www.upi.com...

Having students, kids, carry guns in school? Armed guards patrolling these schools? We must now send our kids to schools, colleges, where others their age, still mentally undeveloped, are allowed to carry loaded weapons? Do you seriously believe this is the answer Wrabbit? Mandating teachers, even those whom may not personally want to be run loaded guns, forcing kids, children, young adults, to live around loaded guns, is this your idea of preserving freedom? Because it's not mine.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Screw hypocracy, it's a military procedure,so that is what is done at shows.Just like when we returned to garrison and still had our rifles in the barracks.Clear it before entry. No such thing as exceptions,we all agree to it,Tradition is maintained.Our thinking is: who would be SO bereft of intellect as to shoot a gun in a gunshow much less at people.
As to school arm the vets who are teaching and they should be able to handle it. NO manditory inductees please,that could arm a person who isn't capable.
edit on 11-1-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: finished my point

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Its not the people running the gun shows.
It ether the local cops making the rules or in many cases because the show property is leased from a fairgrounds or county .
Its the INSURANCE company covering the property that is in control and makes the rules.

The gun show operators have no control over this and never did have.

This whole story has and is BS by Thinkprogress

By the way many gun stores allow CCW people in without clearing there CCW weapons unless they are bringing the CCW weapons in to be worked on or other reasons that it will clear the holster.
lonelymachines.org...

edit on 12-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I wouldn't support mandating anyone to carry a gun. I'd support no one who wasn't 100% comfortable, trained by choice and interest and capable of being trusted to have that in their positive control in an environment of students. Whether that be a community college or pre-school. That part shouldn't matter as concealed means concealed and someone can be trusted or they can't be. There isn't any kinda sorta about that.

I wouldn't choose this, but then we as a society didn't choose this. Criminals have. It isn't a question of having guns in a school but whether a gunman can enter knowing he'll have the only one. What does it have to come to? I shudder to think at times. This is how far it can go and leads to the Beslan School Massacre.

That is how bad it CAN get if a group of gunman were ever to take a school unopposed. There are a lot of reasons I support those who VOLUNTEER and would have training for it to have their permitted concealed weapon in school. What society HERE has seen thus far is only part. Sadly... The evil out there can be worse with it.

edit on 12-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
op, you have no common sense....go to show and you will see the nuts and bolts.....the mechanics of how a crowd has respect for the cause,babe

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

I think there was an accidental discharge here a few years ago and while the rule existed before that, I believe they got down right fanatic after that.

I'm fairly certain accidental discharges aren't the main concern of the managers and owners of these gun shows. We're not talking about the guns on display, we're talking about the guns bring brought in by the attendees. Accidental discharges aren't the leading cause of gun violence and crime, and if the rare cases of accidental discharges don't prevent many of these gun advocates from pushing to rid laws over concealed loaded weapons, it shouldn't have to be different case in gun shows, yet they act differently when it comes to their shows.

It is hypocritical.

I hate these articles that make it sound like gun shows are the wild west or something.

So freely carrying loaded concealed weapons into gun shows is irresponsible, uncivil, yet doing so in schools, kindergartens, colleges and other public places is perfectly civil and understandable? Hmm...

Do you know if the employees have loaded guns easily accessed if needed? I don't know man, have gun shows had any massacres lately? Do you think they'd have a problem arming the employees if one or 2 happened?

When you learn how to shoot / handle guns they hammer safety first into your head.. maybe they're thinking ahead since if they got shot/robbed people who are afraid of guns (you?) would be outraged and demanding they be banned lol

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
oh by the way i have seen people walking around gun shows that had concealed guns. it was not very easy to catch one but if you ever see someone with a bulge of a concealed weapon and that are asking about things that are illegal its because they are undercover cops. OR BATF.

top topics

join