It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover Largest Structure In The Universe!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Awesome, but thats not a structure. It's more of an object?

Don't look at the picture without reading the actual post or article. The giant structure is a clump of active galactic cores that stretches 4 billion light-years from end to end.

I have always taken the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic with a pinch of salt. The further out we look, the bigger structures we find. There are gigantic clumps and filaments that make up even bigger clumps and filaments, and so forth.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Isnt a structure like manufactured by design? the title mislead me.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
With space going on forever there are bound to be stunning things like this all over the place. Thanx for my new desktop wallpaper

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by wildespace

Isnt a structure like manufactured by design? the title mislead me.

Structure: the arrangement of and relations between the parts or elements of something complex. It can be artificial or natural. The body of an organism is a structure, for example. www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I found a few more links with more detailed information;

The coloured background indicates the peaks and troughs in the occurrence of quasars at the distance of the LQG. Darker colours indicate more quasars, lighter colours indicate fewer quasars. The LQG is clearly seen as a long chain of peaks indicated by black circles. (The red crosses mark the positions of quasars in a different and smaller LQG). The horizontal and vertical axes represent right ascension and declination, the celestial equivalent of longitude and latitude. The map covers around 29.4 by 24 degrees on the sky, indicating the huge scale of the newly discovered structure. Credit: R. G. Clowes / UCLan

Dr Clowes said: "While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire universe. This is hugely exciting – not least because it runs counter to our current understanding of the scale of the universe.
PHYS.org Article

Extremely detailed info for ATS astronomers: Oxford Journals Data and Assessment

edit on 12/1/13 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

The currently accepted Cosmological Principle, based on the work of Albert Einstein, suggests that the largest structures we should be able to find would be about 370 megaparsecs across (more than 1.2 billion light-years). The newly found quasar group is 1,200 megaparsecs across, a distance that would take four billion years to cross at the speed of light.

Nice find OP
and keeping in mind the way current data is calculated... Yes time/space may need an updating. AMAZING
and thanks for sharing this.

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynj1736
Just on a side note.....anyone ever wonder if our universe is just an atom that makes up some other being? Sort of like in Men in Black where they are looking for that universe or world and its on the collar of a cat? I mean everything is perspective.

Now add Large particle machines activities in labs in this dimension to that thought actually being observed from this dimension location out there
it would be like never ending loops w/o understanding. This is definitely an amazing find and the artist depiction does a lot for the imagination
Nice

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
PLease look in search first, thread already existed!

second

link
edit on 13/1/2013 by saturnus1962 because: link added

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I finally got around to reading the Oxford Journals Data and Assessment report and I can honestly say it's a "mind-boggling" read. You definitely need a mathematics degree or at the least majored in it at a university to understand all of it.

Still, I learned of the structures "red shift", which basically means this "largest structure in the universe" is heading away from us.

Makes me wonder...Do we REALLY know the general location that the BIG BANG supposedly occurred? If astronomers and optical physicists have to RECALCULATE their current numbers and reassess their understanding of the size of the universe...would that include reassessing the AGE of the universe as well (I think it does)?

It is clear we have so much to still learn about the universe. We've barely scratched the surface.

It's about time some new Einstein steps up into the proverbial spotlight, hopefully in our lifetime we'll get some new, updated and ground breaking answers. Space, what an amazing place!

edit on 17/1/13 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

When plotting the universe, the phrase redshift is actually used in the meaning of distance. With an exception of a nearby galaxy or two, everything in the distant universe is moving away from us. The further something away is from us, the faster it's moving away, and the greater its redshift.

So when astronomers, for example, talk about a quasar or cluster of quasars with a redshift of 1.27, they mean how far away it is from us, rather than meaning that it's moving away from us.
edit on 17-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nolabel
That is truly astounding.

With all these new discoveries practically everyday it won't be long before they announce they have found extraterrestrial life somewhere.

What exciting times we live in.

S&F

Originally posted by abeverage
Accordingly that object should not exist...time to re-write some science...

Time to re-write a lot of things, right? History is another.

It seems like the world is not opening a new chapter, but a whole new book.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantasm
The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes.

I wonder if it is the center of the universe. If the universe has a point of rotation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join