It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover Largest Structure In The Universe!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is AMAZING! Seems like we're discovering new wonders in space everyday now.

Astronomers have discovered the largest known structure in the universe, a clump of active galactic cores that stretches 4 billion light-years from end to end.

The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes. This particular group is so large that it challenges modern cosmological theory, researchers said.
Space.com Article

Researchers say their calculations suggest that structures in space larger than 1.2 billion light-years shouldn't exist! Time to recalculate!

Photo Credit: ESO/M. Kornmesser
edit on 11/1/13 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

4Billion lightyears eh? We're going to need a bigger telescope.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
That is truly astounding.

With all these new discoveries practically everyday it won't be long before they announce they have found extraterrestrial life somewhere.

What exciting times we live in.

S&F

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Accordingly that object should not exist...time to re-write some science...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

4Billion lightyears eh? We're going to need a bigger telescope.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

Uuh no. 4 billion kilometres is a very very small distance cosmicly.

It's 4 billion light years. Now thats mindblowing. Isn't the universe its self supposedly only 27.5 billion ligt years wide. That's a big percenage of the whole.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Anyone ever get the impression we need a major new discovery for the formulas and methods used to calculate distance in space? Once in awhile there seems to come such a story that leaves me wondering how far off EVERYTHING outside our immediate star system is for actual vs. "book" distance. Hmmm..

Beautiful structure, whatever it's size though! It boggles the mind what more there must be to find.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"That's' eh one Spieceh meat-ball!"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The picture is an artist's impression of a single quasar. The structure they are talking about is around 75 of these spread across 4 billion lightyears, not a single object.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The universe is such a beautiful place!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Who said anything about kilometers?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by merkins

Who said anything about kilometers?

I drank a kilometer of Beer once. I expanded about as big as that there Qwasar> Though I never reported it.

Top 10 Star Mysteries this new structure will make it 11. or one of the 10 will be dropped. Hell I don't know.

www.space.com...

edit on 11-1-2013 by RUFFREADY because: more crap

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I just want to say I love those pictures and would love to see something like that with my own eyes instead of artists impressions. Even though they are just as good something of that scale I feel can only be fully admired with one's own eyes.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
I just want to say I love those pictures and would love to see something like that with my own eyes instead of artists impressions. Even though they are just as good something of that scale I feel can only be fully admired with one's own eyes.

Hopefully astronomers can snap us a real picture soon. I bet it looks awesome.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
S&F, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Thats funny, this is not the only time cosmology has been wrong...the Hawking and Susskind debate rings bell...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Vey...Very Cool! Good Job finding this!

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Just on a side note.....anyone ever wonder if our universe is just an atom that makes up some other being? Sort of like in Men in Black where they are looking for that universe or world and its on the collar of a cat? I mean everything is perspective.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Awesome, but thats not a structure. It's more of an object?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Looks like theAliens have been trying to drill their way into another dimension, maybe its their cannon to shoot them far & beyond, who knows but I like it & its possibilities

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join