It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Tactical High Energy Laser Shoots Down Mortars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Recent deveolpments in laser and computer technology have given our troops a "war-of-the-worlds" type of umbrella protection against incoming weapons. This is not just shooting down large weapons (rockets, etc) but weapons as small as mortar rounds. The idea that a laser device can shoot down incoming mortar rounds 100% of the time with over 2000 kills is remarkable!

www.spacewar.com
Redondo Beach CA (SPX) Aug 27, 2004
The Tactical High Energy Laser, built by Northrop Grumman for the US Army, shot down multiple mortar rounds Aug. 24, proving that laser weapons could be applied on the battlefield to protect against common threats

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The technology to shoot down incoming "mortar" rounds is pretty impressive. I know a faction of this device has been deployed in the middle east based on contacts overthere. One can only speculate as to which country. I could have used this in Cambodia back in the 70's. I don't know the tactical area the unit can protect.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hmmmm,

could one have been ent to Isreal to protect them after they distroy Irans nuclear reactor?

Just a possibility-this allows the US to not have to go into Iran and protect Isreal after it does.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I was just wondering about the ATS philosophy as this story is an oldie and shouldn't be considered news for now.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Not exactly news. This has been discussed in many threads over the past few months.

edit: ha! sorry masha, I just read your post lol.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by veritas93]

top topics

join