It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Russia Supporting Assad in Syria?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

What you say about Russia and China being circled is true but it’s also about Russian interests in the Middle East diminishing, they are losing their influence on this key part of the world.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Guys can we please try not to turn this into a thread about American Israel relations, it is about Syrian, Russian relations.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well that kinda goes without saying
And therefore also loose ease of access to the resources in that area, but something else to consider with regards to the ME regional influence is the trade links and arms sales
Traditionaly the ME countries purchased most of their arms from the old USSR, Russia and the CIS countries but with western expansion these arms contracts are falling more and more to NATO countries

Africa is the same, another reach for control of resources hence another reason why Syria is important to Russia.
I'm sure your aware of some of America's and NATOs recently announced deployments. Well these are nothing new, just the slow escalation
Chinas is expanding into Africa also
Well Russia's in on it too, it's another power struggle to control the resources and the land itself for cultivation (see Monsanto's activity on the continent ) the world needs food, food will become the next big controlling factor in world power, we can pipe water to LA, we can pipe oil across continents, we can do the same with water and turn Africa into the worlds bread basket.
And he who controls the food...........
edit on 12-1-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This is hardly a US/UK vs Russia situation. The people currently supporting the the Syrian rebels are: Albania, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Ausrtria, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, DP of Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, East Timor, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Hungry, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Maurtiani, Mexico, Moldova, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zeland, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovenia, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE, Uruguay, Yemen and Zambia. That is pretty much everybody. As for Russia, it is losing another old client. It has to do what it can with words and vetos because it does not the ability to affect things with miitary force anymore. You can not blame them for trying to back an old customer but, they will be happy to sell to the new Syrian gov as well. They say enough things about how Assad is not welcome in Russia etc. so that post war they say to the Syrirans see we did not support him we were just trying to get him out from the inside.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

The people currently not supporting the Syrian rebels are-Syrian people!,their government,Russia ,China,Iran,Venezuela,North Korea, Mother nature and most likely The Almighty himself....Oh and a lot of little boys and girls who witnessed they parent being literally torn to pieces by the cute cuddly western supported "rebels"....Shame on whoever kills the children for the purpose of power and greed..They will all pay for their crimes,,,big time.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

You might say that but a part of the reason behind Russia’s position is to undermine the wests policy in the Middle East.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this threads link into my thread. It does indeed answer why Russia is taking the stance it is. As for how far they are willing to go and what the next move will be we will just have to wait and see.

S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Thanks dude glad I could answer your question.

I don’t think I mentioned in the OP but there is now some evidence that Russia is moving away form the Assad regime now that it seems to be doomed, but how exactly Russia are going to play this out is still uncertain.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
just found this for anyone interested when looking through some of the news thismorning.

Russia-Syria Ties Were Cemented During Cold War

Russia does have real concerns about who and what might come after Mr Assad: in the best case, how well disposed a new administration would be towards them, and in the worst case, the prospect of Islamist extremists filling the void.

When it comes to principles, the key issue is sovereignty. Russia maintains that Syria's conflict is a matter for the Syrian people, and that it is not for outside powers, however well-meaning, to intervene.

makes for quite a good short explination of why Russia supports Assad

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
why is the us helping al-qaeda?

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by theboarman
why is the us helping al-qaeda?

if you follow my threads i have two that might help you out with that question.

Syria and Obama’s Failing Foreign Policy
Al-Qaida in Syria

top topics

<< 1   >>

join