It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio School Board Votes to Arm Janitors,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ok this is starting to get interesting.. I never really thought about arming the janitors..
Im all for the 2nd ammendment,but I dont think arming janitors is a good idea.. Hell the janitor at my high school couldnt even manage to pull the trash in the mens restroom..

What do you think ats?

www.theatlanticwire.com...

The White House may be signaling to gun-rights advocates that it will offer funding for police in schools, and more teachers may be signing up for gun training, but this could not be what anyone had in mind, could it? The school board in charge of a large K-12 school in northwestern Ohio has voted unanimously to allow its four custodians to carry firearms. As Montpelier superintendent Jamie Grime told The Toledo Blade, the board sees the move as a way to prevent incidents like the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut: "Sitting back and doing nothing and hoping it doesn't happen to you is just not good policy anymore. There is a need for schools to beef up their security measures," Grimes said. "Having guns in the hands of the right people are not a hindrance. They are a means to protect

edit on 11-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed by member

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Anyone who lives in the United States should be armed. It is our duty and responsibility, but as children we expect others to defend and protect us.

We wait for the "all clear" to practice what is rightfully ours to practice.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I can see it now:

Here is your school issued huge keychain, Mop with bucket, floor buffer, and you 9mm semi auto pistol, handcuffs and 2 extra clips!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I can see it now:

Here is your school issued huge keychain, Mop with bucket, floor buffer, and you 9mm semi auto pistol, handcuffs and 2 extra clips!

lol

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
as long as they have proper training and familiarity with weapons handling ... unfortunetly things have got that bad in america and will get worse... better than no protection for the children...
edit on 11/1/13 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Im all for ending "gun free" zones. The very notion is absurd.

But I am not a fan of this bizarre push to actively arm a person or persons as part of their employment.

A janitors job is maintenance and cleaning. A teachers job is teaching.

If the person who is a janitor or a teacher just happens to be a person who carries daily and a person who takes their self defense seriously then so be it. They carry day in and day out anyway. Telling them cant while at work is just pointless and stupid.

But going out of your way to actively arm these people is just as pointless and stupid.

If they carry let them carry. If they dont carry then dont make them carry.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think I would be pulling my kids out of school if they armed the janitors.

I'm sorry, but arming janitors is just a dumb idea. I'm sorry, but the stereotype of janitor is there for a reason. Anyone can be a janitor, why would we arm them?

I would rather see every school have an on duty police officer instead of arming the janitors.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It’s not clear to me whether they voted to approve training or the actual carrying of handguns while mopping.

MONTPELIER, Ohio - The Montpelier Exempted Village Schools Board of Education has approved the carrying of handguns by its custodial staff.

The 5-0 vote of the board Wednesday night to allow handgun training for four custodians to be able to tote weapons at the K-12 campus at the Williams County school came after last month's deadly shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

Source

The intent is obviously, for them to be trained enough to be able to carry them on the job if and when that decision is made.. I'm guessing that would require another vote, followed by public scrutiny, etc.

Good deal for the janitors in any case... free firearms training!

The school district will pay for the employees to undergo a two-day training class in mid March, when instructors with the Tactical Defense Institute of West Union, Ohio, will give them a defense class on handgun use in Montpelier.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly this. People should be allowed to conduct themselves however they believe they should - to force them to do one thing or the other is the anti-thesis of current western values.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly this. People should be allowed to conduct themselves however they believe they should - to force them to do one thing or the other is the anti-thesis of current western values.

Amazing how often bureaucracies push people to behave contrary to their values then react shocked and surprised when it fails or causes more problems then the response is always to push harder for people to behave even more contrary to their values.

A vicious cycle of stupidity.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You know I spent some time in a place where everybody had gun. Man, woman and child. It was a place called Somalia. Despite the fact I am a gun owner, I have seen what the effect of adding mores guns has. Just a lot more people shooting each other for even the most minor of reasons.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

You can't really compare America and Somalia's rate of gun crime without factoring in the socioeconomic and cultural differences present in both countries.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Great news kids...You know your friendly janitor who couldn't find a job doing anything else other than garbage man? Yah, We gonna gib him a gun to pretected you little guys! Just tink, one day you could also drop out from school in grade 8 or 9 yet still come work for the school board and protect all dem little friens of yours!

LMFAO.....Really? this is the solution....WTF?

and calling a janitor a custodian, to make them sound more than brain dead's? Why not call them Sanitation Engineers? Now they can call then Sanitation Safety Engineers.

I can see it now. "Hey punk, did you just drop that piece of paper over there, and make that scuff mark on my gym floor??? BLAM BLAM BLAM! make my day.....punk!
edit on 11-1-2013 by theclutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch
Great news kids...You know your friendly janitor who couldn't find a job doing anything else other than garbage man?

Seriously?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch
Great news kids...You know your friendly janitor who couldn't find a job doing anything else other than garbage man?

Seriously?

YUP!

Of course I find the whole thing ludicrous

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

I find your elitist sense of unwarranted sense of importance irritating. Why are you implying that a janitor is somehow worth less than you?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I find your elitist sense of unwarranted sense of importance irritating. Why are you implying that a janitor is somehow worth less than you?

OMG, it was a joke.

Talk about elitists

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Jokes are meant to be funny.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Jokes are meant to be funny.

It's funny to me, and I'm sure someone else will bust a gut over it...

The funny part is that you can't see it.
maybe step back from how "DIRE" everything seems.

I sure am glad that my kid didn't need some janitor to protect her from the boogie man! If she did then I think that would be the LAST day she ever attended school. FFS

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Don't underestimate the custodial/maintenance staff in these schools. They know the buildings, they carrry the keys and if properly trained they can fill a much needed gap in the security envelope of the school.

In the words of "Carl the Janitor" "Breakfast Club"

Oh, really?

You guys think I'm just some untouchable peasant, a peon.

Maybe so. But following a broom around after ##$#heads like you,

I've learnt a couple of things.

I look through your letters, I look through your lockers.

I listen to your conversations. I do.

I am the eyes and ears of this institution, my friends.

The eyes and ears of the institution.. Undoubtedly...

new topics

top topics

join