It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland residents panic as men armed with assault weapons ‘educate’ the city

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow I bet this did freak some people out.. good for them though people do need to be educated on why we need our guns.. But Its hard to educate them when they are running from you lol

www.rawstory.com...

Two men walked the streets of Portland armed with assault weapons earlier this week because they said they wanted to “educate” residents, who reacted by fleeing and calling police.

Warren Drouin and Steven Boyce told KPTV that they were forced to take drastic measure to make sure people were aware of their Second Amendment rights after 20 children in Connecticut were massacred with same type of AR-15 rifles they were carrying

Raw Story (s.tt...)

edit on 11-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Well... When it comes to ways of doing things,.. There is a Right way, a Wrong way and then there is that way, I'd call that the way you end up on a 3 day Psych hold talking to people with lots of letters after their names and convincing them you don't need a long rest in a very quiet place away from everything for awhile.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Probably not the best way to approach educating people after all the recent shootings, lol. THEY know they weren't threatening anyone but it's like seeing a snake, even if it's not poisonous, I'd probably still run away. Maybe they should have set up a display with a pamphlet giving factual statistics to people who even WANT to learn anything about "assault weapons"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I think of "Mars attacks" we come in peace ..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I live in the bay area and its not illegal to walk down the streat with a gun that is longer then 16 inches in full view or canceled as long as its unloaded but the gun MUST be longer then 16 inches. I had the thought of walking on the street of down town San Francisco with my AR-15 strapped to my back, unloaded of course. Just to educate people. Then i thought of all the crazy cops around here that shoot first then ask questions and i dismissed that notion.

Man it would be funny to see all the crazy libs running around in fear
but again i would not do it on the count of me getting shot by uneducated cops that dont know the law.
edit on 11-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I fail to see how these men walking around with guns attempts to educate people about why guns are needed.

This is why we need guns.

Where is the why?? Simply because armed law abiding citizens are there, which, by their very presence, might prevent criminal behavior?

For the record, I support the second amendment.

But yeah, i bet those people were freaked out.

The men insisted that they understood that people were on edge after recent mass shootings but hoped residents would approach them to ask questions during future demonstrations.

“We did mind the school posting signs,” Boyce pointed out. “We don’t don’t want to cause any trouble with that. We totally respect — there is a little bit of emotional sensitivity towards that and it’s just — we were walking the streets.”

Sounds to me like they just wanted to very obviously get attention and show how they can walk around with guns under the guise of "we want people to come talk to us and ask us questions so we can educate them."

Seems like a little bit of over-the-top macho-ism to me, even if they are within their rights. *shrug*

edit on 11-1-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Check out the comments on the story.

People are ropeable about what just happend.

These two Clowns just put another nail in the coffin for gun ownership.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I agree.. And walkin down the street with assault rifles isnt gonna accomplish much accept scare people..

Success

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

I agree.. And walkin down the street with assault rifles isnt gonna accomplish much accept scare people..

Success

Yep. Once again responsible gun owners made to look like nut jobs thanks to people like this. Toss in the NRA and Alex Jones and I am starting to think we responsible gun owners are far out numbered by the nut jobs with guns. Also if I saw these guys walking down my streets like that I most likely would have put them down. Hey stand your ground law, two armed men walking my way, how was I suppose to know they were educating.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Time to organize "Gun Pride Parades".

I mean, if marching up and down the street flaunting your natural born conditions, gaining public awareness of your plight in order to obtain public acceptance of what should be your Constitutionally protected rights is perfectly legal, why not?

edit on 1/11/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Cops walk down the street all the time, with assault weapons. How come no one is afraid then? Does wearing a uniform with badge make you better than or "saner" than your Average Joe? Cops are even more dangerous because at any moment, that "good cop" could just snap and start shooting. But, if he kills a few people in the process, no biggie. The department he works for will just suspend him, with pay!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Also if I saw these guys walking down my streets like that I most likely would have put them down. Hey stand your ground law, two armed men walking my way, how was I suppose to know they were educating.

First thing you do is nothing other than observe. If they do not draw the weapons, question their intent. And then you know. Otherwise you are the one being irresponsible and irrational by shooting first, then asking questions later.

edit on 1/11/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlowinSmoke
Cops walk down the street all the time, with assault weapons. How come no one is afraid then? Does wearing a uniform with badge make you better than or "saner" than your Average Joe? Cops are even more dangerous because at any moment, that "good cop" could just snap and start shooting. But, if he kills a few people in the process, no biggie. The department he works for will just suspend him, with pay!

Sorry no comparison. Cops with guns is reassuring to the majority of the general public.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

From one of the geniuses:

“This happens to open that line of communication, to let people know that you can defend yourself in a time of crisis or any time that you want to,” Boyce added.

Awesome!
Attackers are optional now?
Hint: if you "defend yourself" from someone who isn't attacking you, you just attacked them...

In other News the NRA has a big sad: Biden invited them to talk about guns, and actually wanted to talk about guns! (you know, instead of the obvious field of NRA expertiese, the effects of movies and video games. I mean, they are called the National Restaurants Association, why would anybody think they had anything to do with guns?)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Man it would be funny to see all the crazy libs running around in fear
but again i would not do it on the count of me getting shot by uneducated cops that dont know the law.
edit on 11-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

(A) It would not be just "Libs" running around in fear. It would be conservatives two...some with small children still trying to cope with what there friends told them about Newtown.

(B) The very fact that you think it would be "funny" to terrorize innocent families just furthers the case that many who own ARs are not mentally fit to do so.

Evidently you have egomaniac tendancies combined with a potentially sociapathic disposition...finding humor and satisfaction in your fantasy scenario of walking down a public street with an Assualt Rifle watching women and children panic and flee in fear.

CX

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
A question from the uneducated here......that would be me btw.
regarding this comment....

Police spoke to Drouin and Boyce and said the conceal-carry permit holders had not broken any laws.

How is carrying a weapon like that across your back on obvious display, "concealed"? Does "concealed carry" mean exactly that, it has to be hidden away.....or are they within their rights to show the firearm off like that?

Thanks,

CX.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

Originally posted by goou111

Success

Yep. Once again responsible gun owners made to look like nut jobs thanks to people like this. Toss in the NRA and Alex Jones and I am starting to think we responsible gun owners are far out numbered by the nut jobs with guns. Also if I saw these guys walking down my streets like that I most likely would have put them down. Hey stand your ground law, two armed men walking my way, how was I suppose to know they were educating.

I am pretty sure they selfidentify as "responsible gun owners"
Actually I don't recall any gunowner ever saying "I am an irresponsible gun owner."
This guy too is totally responsible, he is even an instructor:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

It's not exactly a parade, but there is a "Guns Across America" nationwide rally [to defeat anti-self defense gun legislation in 2013] on Saturday, January 19 2013 at high noon (participants' time) at each of the State Capitols:

www.youtube.com...

www.guncontrolmorecrime.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I cannot speak for all states, but in NC you can carry openly, without a permit, but to carry concealed, you must have a permit. So anybody could theoretically, walk down the street with two six shooters strapped to their waist and it would be legal. (not a great idea, but legal)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Couldn't agree more.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join