It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New island appears off coast of Germany

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

An island the size of 25 football pitches has appeared seemingly out of nowhere off the coast of Germany. The landmass, which is composed of sandbanks, gradually emerged from the violent waters of the North Sea over the past few years. It lies 15 miles off the coast of Schleswig-Holstein in Germany’s far north in a stretch of coastline known as the Wattenmeer, a marine national park. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It is the first time in a quarter of a century that a discernible landmass has appeared in the coastal waters off Germany.
Detlef Hansen, head of the national park, said; 'This is for us conservationists anything but ordinary.'
Tidal actions unrelated to global warming or other earthly phenomena have created the island.
Thought this was an interesting article to look at how an island appears and develops over time.
Most interesting and quite unusual.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 11/1/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Great find!
I like the idea of Doggerland returning.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
SnF

Great find

Now I'm no expert but could this explain something of the island of high brazil ?
en.wikipedia.org...(mythical_island)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This must be the island that disappeared from the Pacific!

/sarcasm

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

That's so witty! You get a star for the sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
"25 football pitches" ???
What the hell is that ?
Anyone care to translate this into useful units of measure ?
Like beard/seconds or square barns ?

Sorry for my non-collaborative post, but I had to get this off my chest.

But back on topic, like you said OP, it is quite interesting and unusual.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

Funny how when I read this post that was the first thought that came to mind , lol

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't understand, if sea levels are supposed to be rising, how can an island appear?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill

An island the size of 25 football pitches

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It is the first time in a quarter of a century that a discernible landmass has appeared in the coastal waters off Germany.

Thanks for the post, I read the article and in the comments section, someone explained the European meaning of the measurement of "25 football pitches" as equating to the size of 25 soccer fields......That was a little confusing at first.

And apparently, this is not the first instance of this happening via:

Anyway, as someone else noted, kinda strange when you hear all about global warming and all and the prospect of oceans/seas rising that a land mass would appear. Interesting. Also, I was also surprised by the large variety of plant life that has already spread itself. That was pretty remarkable

Cheers!! ID

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I wonder if there is a guy in a hatch pushing a button every 108 minutes on that island.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

Very roughly, 178,500 square meters, or 44 acres, or a square a bit more than a quarter-mile on each side. Science.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Thanks, but I had already "googled" the equivalent size.

I was just using sarcasm to make a point about using what is in my opinion an arbitrary unit of measure.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidGoal

I think beard-seconds would be a fine unit for measuring distance, myself. It's probably pretty close to an angstrom...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I've checked some German sources, and apparently the "island" started to rise around 1999. The articles say it is created through tides and storms moving sand around and piling it up, and that happened in other places before, too.

No mystery here I'm afraid, just a huge pile of sand

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
It would be interesting for Archeologists to dig there perhaps.
It would be full of artefacts ect perhaps

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I don't understand, if sea levels are supposed to be rising, how can an island appear?

I am no expert on geology, but there might be some geological process that would be pushing that land mass upward.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionsWitness

Could this be from where the earth is changing and I wonder how many more land masses will rise. Maybe this is what the Ancient' Myths were talking about, we will make some discoveries from Ancient Humans from millions of years ago. It would be cool if in the next few years all sorts of land masses started rising from the sea and we discover new and exciting things that could usher in a new beginning . Or the Aliens could be waiting for the certain land masses to rise so they can make their return.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

LOL, Yeah close but not quite.
An estimates of a beard/second is about 100 angstroms..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill

So.... this is the first time in 25 years that a discernible landmass has appeared in the coastal waters off Germany.

(no wonder you wrote it the other way)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join