Minimal posts with reposted content getting worse on ATS

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
While there are still some excellent posts being made by members there seems to be a growing trend here on ATS for minimal posts containing copied content from other blog sites.

Of course forums like the Aliens and UFO forums have always had this problem with posts like:

I found this youtube video

(Generic youtube vid goes here )

What do you guys think real or fake?

But now it seems to be slowly spreading to many other forums like a disease.

Posts usually contain 3 or 4 sentences put in by the person posting and go like this :

I found this on another site an thought i was amazing. I hope you enjoy it to

( word for word , picture for picture content goes here )

Thanks for reading my post. What do you guys think?

Maybe its just my bad timing but it seems that any time i flick through the trending topics on ATS there's at least one post like this. A lot of the offending posts are 'list posts' eg. 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind, 25 Science Fictions That Became Science Facts etc..Some of the time people are not even mentioning that they have copied the content at all.

If i wanted to read trash from sites like buzzfeed ill go to sites like buzzfeed. I hate to see standards slipping on this site i love so much.

edit on 11-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Timely post on your part. Not 5 minutes ago, I clicked on a thread, because of a title of interest, in hopes of finding a gleaming nugget of new information. Lo and behold, there were 2 paragraphs of information and a link. I clicked on the link only to find that the OP was nothing more than an copy and paste from the link. Nothing from the OP that was original in thought in the OP. Except the obligatory, what do you guys think, as the last sentence.

I know the T&C's ask that we, as members, add out own content to threads we start....now, I'm seeing a deluge of copy and paste, with no apparent reason for posting the thread, other than phishing for flags and stars.

I used to take the time to ask the OP, what are your thoughts on the topic you started a new thread on...I don't bother anymore, most of the time, the OP doesn't even reply in those types of threads. They are probably too busy grazing other sites, and youtube for the next copy and paste job to slap up on the ATS front page.

Des

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
While I would agree that minimal posts and copy/pastes should be frowned upon, I also think one or two paragraphs is not necessarily a minimal post - it depends on the content.

Of course, a sentence or two and a link to a blog or you tube - or worse another aggregate site - is hardly sufficient.

But is it really any better to post a veritable book report of info that a member can find for themselves with any google search?

I would rather members bring the topics via the appropriate links that I can check out for myself and then add an alternative spin or a new theory or something ATS-ish to it.

Just because the thread OP is long, detailed, sourced and has pics from the link doesn't make it an epic ATS thread ripe for discussion. Or even interesting always...

I would rather a short OP that brought something new or controversial or very intriguing than another ATS book report.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You, and other members, are responsible for what gets posted on this site.

While, as a rule, we do our best to keep unreasonably minimalist opening posts to a minimum; it is not always possible to catch every instance without active help from the members themselves.

If you find that this occurs as you circulate within the community - use the "alert" feature to let us know.

But remember, not every minimalist post is necessarily going to vanish. If this is what our members want to discuss, my opinion is that once a thread gets a certain number of responses; it is increasingly difficult to justify removal.

I generally agree that such threads are unwelcome; I also know that exceptions and consideration for circumstance plays a part in moderation... sometimes a member might start a thread with a small query - that cannot be expanded into a lengthy OP... but then they return to engage in the discussion and the outcome is good....

"Reposting" content is a way to dispense with the supremely obtuse "link or it didn't happen" type one-liners that I really find irritating. But like everything else, I would hope that reason would guide many to refrain form excessive posting of content which is best accessed from its' original location.

In a nutshell, all things in moderation... not too much, not too little... get's us where we want to go.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I prefer a minimalist post to a FLUFF piece.

We have oodles of FLUFF too. Posts with long, extraneous, personal information tidbits that the author believes affect their account of the story; but in fact, are completely irrelevant.

So, to each his own I suppose. I can skim over the fluff pieces and others who want the fluff can skip on to the next post.

Last point, people with short attention spans and reading comprehension deficits will appreciate the minimalist posts.

There's something for everybody on ATS, me included.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I have noticed this a lot recently as well. After reading your OP earlier I decided to investigate a little. I chose a member who made a recent post randomly and went to their "My Threads" and clicked on each link. In each thread there was a link to the story, a short quote, one or two sentences of personal opinion and only occasionally a pic or video- and this was the formula for over 50 threads! I'm sure there are many, many more who use this same exact style. The only reason I even bother to read them is that fortunately in a lot of cases other members reply with more information and interesting opinion.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

But remember, not every minimalist post is necessarily going to vanish. If this is what our members want to discuss, my opinion is that once a thread gets a certain number of responses; it is increasingly difficult to justify removal.

Thanks for the reply Maxmars. So you mean certain site policies only apply if the threads are not popular? So do you mods wait a while to see if a post that is breaking certain T&C's gets popular before removing it?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The question has to be asked: is ATS looking for user generated content, or a more conspiracy angled version of Reddit or Pastebin?

While I often will spend a few moments to peruse a top 25 list from Buzzfeed, I have to express understanding of the point of the OP. A quick perusal of my post history will show that I have all but withdrawn into a single thread on ATS. The lack of unique content is part of it, as well as the dumbing effect of discussing politics all the time.
edit on 11-1-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

With the human attention span getting increasingly shorter, especially Americans, this trend will probably increase and become the norm. With text speak and cyber code used more frequently as well.

Sorry about the one sentence reply, but I'm afflicted as well.

www.avantnews.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks for the reply Maxmars. So you mean certain site policies only apply if the threads are not popular? So do you mods wait a while to see if a post that is breaking certain T&C's gets popular before removing it?

Well, I see I got myself in trouble here... I may have conveyed an incorrect idea.

The policies apply to all threads. And insofar as a thread that breaks the T&C's, we apply the appropriate actions to each - regardless of the threads "popularity."

I was trying to convey the idea that we needn't destroy the collective discussion of members - and all the content they provide - because well after the fact, someone decides the opening post was minimalistic. hence the initial suggestion that upon detection any member can alert the Mods...

I am certain your question had another intention behind it though... so what was it?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Maxmars

The question has to be asked: is ATS looking for user generated content, or a more conspiracy angled version of Reddit or Pastebin?

While I often will spend a few moments to peruse a top 25 list from Buzzfeed, I have to express understanding of the point of the OP. A quick perusal of my post history will show that I have all but withdrawn into a single thread on ATS. The lack of unique content is part of it, as well as the dumbing effect of discussing politics all the time.

ATS is a community of members who discuss a wide range of topics... what is here is what members provide. ATS expressly forbids only a tiny fragment of the possibilities... as stated in the T&Cs.

You may find that some of the material you yearn for is already here... after all, millions of posts later... you can't expect every thread to be active... although you might add to them, or add new information.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No there was no hidden intention , was just wondering

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I don't totally understand why people find this problematic....sorry to be out of sync here!
I don't have a lot of time to surf the net. In the morning, I check my Facebook, my horoscope (
), and ATS.
When I come home in the evening, I repeat.

So people who put up links to interesting content elsewhere is a very big reason I come here! They save me the time and trouble.

Most of the time, when someone wishes to bring up a topic for discussion in the form of a video or something, I don't mind if they add their own interpretation/opinion/feelings/anecdotes about it- but if they don't, I don't miss it either!
We (the posting responders) can do that ourselves.

Sometimes I like when the OP can stay sort of neutral or without a personal opinion, because they can attract more varied responses (instead of just the people who were provoked to counter theirs) and stick around to be a more balanced arbitrator or referee between us.

Sometimes I just don't have an opinion or position of a subject yet, and would like to just throw it out there and read others', to help me think about it.

But whatever, I understand my opinion on that is in the minority (if not completely isolated!). I'll try to respect that anyway.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

I have always seen it more from this perspective. Often those short threads will go on to spark discussion. And if it does that, it should be perfectly acceptable, as it has served its function on this discussion forum.

I have quite a number of times seen the opposite problem-- where a person takes time to write out an OP only to get few, or minimal responses. It can happen both ways.

Aside from the fact that some of us actually enjoy some of these minimalist, purely informative posts. Not all of us go to, or are even aware of sites like buzzfeed, or whatever site it was OP mentioned. If you're not one of those who enjoy such posts, you do have the option of not reading or participating in them.

Maybe ATS should have a feature that allows a preview of the OP upon cursor hover-over, to make it easier for people to avoid threads they won't like...?

I often find ATS has the opposite problem. Even for posts where the OP provides an opinion... because of ATS' policy about minimal copied content, people often read the little blurb in the OP and then proceed to comment (without clicking the link to read the complete source) and then proceed to make under-informed comments, which often include assumptions which could be dispelled had they simply informed themselves by reading the source article. I've seen this kind of needless speculation so many times it has become quite frustrating. It really bogs down discussion with pointless verbiage-- seeing people speculate about points that were directly addressed in the link in the OP, but not in the quoted text, due to ATS original content and copyright policies.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The problem isnt really about the amount of content that people are posting from other sites its that they dont even bother to add any personal thoughts or comments about what they have posted. More often that not its just "i saw this" , [picture , quote] "what do you think?". They put absolutely no thought or effort into creating a decent post.

Its supposed to be against the rules to create minimal post like this but it seems to be happening more and more on ATS , sometimes even in Breaking alternative news where you are supposed to at least create a post 50 words long of your own thoughts and comments.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

at one point in my life (and i am sure at some future point as well) i would dig deep into the forum for info. Anymore, with what my personal life/work life has going on, that is impossible. I get maybe an hour away from work where I am not sleeping every day.

There is great content buried here at ATS. There is also a TON of regurgitated content that you can find on just about any site. Unfortunately, many of the best contributors of well researched, well thought out threads over the years have, for whatever individual reasons, found themselves the victims of the ban hammer.

The strictness of the T&C's is a strength of ATS, as it raises the expectation of contribution. On the same token, it is also a weakness as it has removed valuable members with highly valued input. The ATS we see today is a result of this, among many other factors.

Not that the ATS we have today is bad. Just that it is the result of the execution of policy, be it good or bad.

Can you tell that I have had a moment of freedom at work? Now i want to wax philosophical and whatnot.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Complain complain complain!!! Alert the mods and let them take care of it, that is their job..

No one else cares to hear all the bitching that goes on.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
OP, there is a sure fire way to combat this problem.

Author some good threads!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
OP, there is a sure fire way to combat this problem.

Author some good threads!

After preparing a post about how astronomers have discovered the largest structure in the universe i checked search and found i was just beaten to it by someone who made a post with 1 quote , 1 picture and 1 single line of original text.

top topics

join