It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Discovery of Alien Life" regarded as 2013 risk factor at the World Economic Forum in Davos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

I think you are reading too much into this. You have to remember there are 7 billion of us and at least 6 billion are tied into religion or philosophy that does not include the rest of the universe. To them earth and maybe our solarsystem is the universe. Education and science literacy is something lacking in todays world and should be tought more instead of religious texts!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

It's also possible that we don't discover ANY other life in our solar system and then this whole "Life doesn't exist elsewhere!" argument will rage with increased vigor.

We don't know yet.

The way my mind works, I just believe life is out there. It's intuition. Science says there're a lot of places out there for life, but it hasn't shown us what the chances are for it being there. This is primarily because our knowledge of the origins of life is severely limited.

So, in a roundabout way, I think life is out there, but science needs evidence.
edit on 11-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

The problem with discovering Earthlike exoplanets in the habitable zones is that - SO WHAT? It's not like with this poor technology anyone is going anywhere... and the current guess of some new KOI planet is just a guess based on the location. Wuth such technology even the speed of light you would never be able to examine even closest planets, yet alone outer...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Actually I'm just speculating, well sort of. It's just that the pace at which the scientific community has been releasing data about the possibility of life on other planets/star systems has been getting faster and faster over the past few years, at least that's my perception of it. So when I see a well respected entity/event stating that there's need to raise awareness about the subject on the general population that certainly triggers an internal alarm. Might be something, might be nothing, my gut feeling tells me we'll see some surprising developments on the subject in the near future.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Seems peoples not working much on space technology they better aiming to get oil rich countries. Like cokroaches making wars for oil.

Space programs only stepping first steps and what if human kind will need to leave planet in one month . Think its obvious all will dye if no one leaves then it needs.
edit on 11-1-2013 by PropulsionX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
the movies have made the ET to always look bad and hostile. in very rare cases they are made to be humane.

But we only have to look at ourselves. If we found a planet, habitable that had existing primitive (relatively speaking) people living there would we be a threat to them? Actually wait dont answer that question... We only have to look at american history and we would know the answer. Or have we moved past the "attack and conquer" stage... would we treat the native people of another planet with respect or we use our advancement as an advantage to conquer the planet.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think that the amount of people who researched the subject of aliens and UFOs already know that alien life exists elsewhere, let's be honest about it. I was skeptical even when I started looking at this stuff although I knew UFOs existed, I just wasn't sure about the capabilities and time line of sightings, but I am sure as I can be.

Yeah, this news may hit some groups of people with anxiety, but in all honesty, even folks on the street must have some kind of inkling that there probably is life out there, even with the amount of stars and planets on view.

Yes, some people are stupid and insecure, but I'd like to think, they may be able to handle it.

The Mormons would be mighty happy though

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by K-PAX-PROT
Little by little, step by step the paradigm shift concerning humankind’s position in the universe and more importantly this paradigm shift of the mind is now manifesting in the minds and perceptions of respectable sources as this information from the OP indicates and shows.We are beginning to see a stepping stone approach to the ET hypotheses from those who would have laughed in your face not so long ago, the ET hypotheses is starting to gain respectability and not just a topic for targets of hill billy jokes ect,.

I for one will be pleased that the snide laughter will stop and newscasters jaws will drop when the balloon finally drops. It will be a vindication for all of those who stuck by their gut feeling that we are not alone.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I dont think the governments are worried that people will freak out and not be able to handle it, I think that governments are more concerned with losing their power over the people.
Why would the people want to continue to follow and have allegiance to a government that constantly makes a mess of everything they touch when we could have a delegation of advanced beings with advanced technologies in medicine,energy,etc etc be in control of things here on earth?

It`s like the ugly girl who doesn`t want you to meet her prettier and smarter sister because she`s afraid you will dump her to date her sister.
The governments of the world are the chubby ugly sisters who don`t want us to meet their super pretty and super smart sister.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Reply to Impactor

Don't be so sure that we might not be able to go somewhere, trips of several lights years could take weeks, if we can create the fields and find an energy source to power them

Lets hope it's not antimatter, it would take longer than age of the universe to create enough antimatter to power a drive

Gizmodo

Wired warp drive link
edit on 12-1-2013 by mobtek because: Reply clarification

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I am sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but I have had a question for years that no one can answer and I hope someone on ATS can assist.

Can anyone tell me 3 things the "aliens" have done for the good of mankind, with evidence to back it up?

I myself have never read or heard anything but the negative.
edit on 12-1-2013 by 1YellowRose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Pretty soon we will have the technology in place to analyze the atmospheres of transiting exoplanets. Odds are, we will quickly find life supporting worlds once we start looking. Probably not intelligent life, or anything we can actually interact with, but life nonetheless. This is what they are preparing for. Not only that, but NASA is currently working on an Alcubierre FTL drive. The math has been done. They are working on proof of concept now.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
What gets me and i admit it is understandable maybe a natural human defence mechanism and that is we always look or judge possibilities from what science only currently knows or has discovered so far. We need to shift the perceptions /thinking of from what we know just now and judging every thing on that basis , is there advanced intelligences out there with a greater understanding, is there a different set of governing laws of physics that is entirely alien to us but native to intelligences out there, is our set of physics just right for us in our particular part of our galaxy/universe??? We are judging what is possible/fact and what is not possible or could never be by what we currently know, now some could say that is folly , blinkered , i feel its a natural human condition bit not necessarily the right one, time will tell.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think disclosure has been a risk factor since 1947...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There is an article linked on another site regarding this that just posted today.

www.educatinghumanity.com...

Critical to note about this years Forum is that the WEF, in their 2013 Executive Summary, scheduled for debate and discussion a number of items under their X Factors from Nature category, and which includes the “discovery of alien life” of which they state: “Proof of life elsewhere in the universe could have profound psychological implications for human belief systems.”

And from the WEF Executive Summary-

X Factors from Nature Developed in partnership with the editors of Nature, a leading science journal, the chapter on “X Factors” looks beyond the landscape of 50 global risks to alert decision-makers to five emerging game-changers: Runaway climate change: Is it possible that we have already passed a point of no return and that Earth’s atmosphere is tipping rapidly into an inhospitable state? Significant cognitive enhancement: Ethical dilemmas akin to doping in sports could start to extend into daily working life; an arms race in the neural “enhancement” of combat troops could also ensue. Rogue deployment of geoengineering: Technology is now being developed to manipulate the climate; a state or private individual could use it unilaterally. Costs of living longer: Medical advances are prolonging life, but long-term palliative care is expensive. Covering the costs associated with old age could be a struggle. Discovery of alien life: Proof of life elsewhere in the universe could have profound psychological implications for human belief systems. The Global Risks report is the flagship research publication of the World Economic Forum’s Risk Response Network, which provides an independent platform for stakeholders to explore ways to collaborate on building resilience to global risks. Further information can be found at www.weforum.org/risk

reports.weforum.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join