It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers discover the largest structure in the universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
An international team of astronomers, led by academics from the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), has found the largest known structure in the universe. The large quasar group (LQG) is so large that it would take a vehicle travelling at the speed of light some 4 billion years to cross it. The team publish their results in the journal

link

Quite impressive!
edit on 11/1/2013 by saturnus1962 because: link fixed

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Cool.

And, first post.

Um.. I have to add something to the topic... ummmmm.....

Well, couldn't you call anything a "group" or a cluster? Like, for example, you could call one half of the universe the 2nd largest cluster of planets and black holes and space matter and quasars and stars, etc...... Wouldn't that be an individual structure, if you stated them as bundled all together like that?

me not know.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnus1962

So if the structure is four billion years across, it is almost a third as large as the entire universe (and you can't call everything "lumped" together a structure, it has to have cohesion and present an understandable model). Makes me wonder if more of this type of "structure" will be found and connected up to form an organized structure over the majority of the known universe. Nice find, and subscribing to this one.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnus1962

Thanks. I always love science news.

One stupid question from me: how do NASA and other space experts scan and identify the shape of objects in outer space?

Thanks!!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

one third? I think the universe is much, much bigger (infinite

new topics

top topics

join