It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Photo of A-Bomb Found in HIroshima

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad
That is a photo of a mushroom cloud that contains vapourized people and buildings.

also "the headquarters of Field Marshal Shunroku Hata's 2nd General Army which commanded the defense of all southern Japan.[60] Field Marshal Hata's 2nd General Army was headquartered in the Hiroshima Castle and his command consisted of some 400,000 men, most of whom were on Kyushu where an Allied invasion was correctly expected.[61] Also present in Hiroshima was the headquarters of the 5th Division, 59th Army, and most of the 224th Division, a recently formed mobile unit.[62] The city's air defenses comprised five batteries of 7-and-8-centimetre (2.8 and 3.1 in) anti-aircraft guns. In total, 40,000 military personnel were stationed inside the city.[63]

Hiroshima was a minor supply and logistics base for the Japanese military. The city was a communications center, a storage point, and an assembly area for troops"

also people assisting the Japanese war effort.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

also people assisting the Japanese war effort.

Yah, they all grow up to be Kamikazes so what the hell... kill em all and let god sort em out?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Greetings, ATS!

From Discovery News.

A long lost image from the Hiroshima atomic bombing has been discovered at a Japanese elementary school. The black-and-white photograph shows the mushroom cloud over Hiroshima split into two distinctly separated parts, one on top of the other.

The rare image was found at the Honkawa Elementary School in Hiroshima city, in a collection of about 1,000 articles on the WWII atomic bombing. The material was donated by a late survivor, Yosaburo Yamasaki, in or after 1953.

According to the Japanese daily Asahi Shimbun, a memo on the back of the photo says it was shot near the town of Kaitaichi, some six miles east of ground zero, two minutes after the bomb was dropped on August 6, 1945.

I found this online and thought I'd share with my friends at ATS. A rare piece of photographic history, this. In my opinion, it documents one of the worst days in human history.

I would say enjoy, but perhaps it would be better to say.....remember.

Peaceful Friday to you all,

smylee

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 11/1/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

It was the one thing that brought the surrender of Japan. War is war. People really need to understand that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
Although a "device" had been detonated in the New Mexico desert, an actual bomb had never been tested.

Yes, that is why, to me, that picture is poignant. One sees the telltale pyrocumulus signature of this new weapon of war, not from the detached view of airspace but as seen by its victims. The Japanese public were the first to witness this new Mjölnir; only after would the American public be made aware of what they had wrought.

Some years ago I had the chance to talk with an elderly man who still had family in Japan. I asked him how he felt about the atomic bombing of Japan, whether he or his family harbored any resentment or anger towards the US. He just shrugged and said, no, it was an act taken during warfare, just something warring nations do, the war ended, and the Japanese got on with their lives. No, there was no resentment or anger.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

He just shrugged and said, no, it was an act taken during warfare, just something warring nations do...

I like what you have to say but respectfully... war is not "okay". Today, war will be the end of us all.

Oh, it always begins innocuously, with "limited goals" and "rules of engagement"... but war is all about the winning of it... at any cost. See what that led to in WWII?

Like you said, leveling of entire cities.

War is a game that some think they can play just a little bit.
edit on 12-1-2013 by intrptr because: spelling...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
To those who felt we should have not dropped the bomb or dropped it on an island.
What you fail to realize is the Japanese do not think the same way as the US/European.

My daughter is married to a Japanese citizen. (I wasn't happy about that.)
When you purchase a house in Japan its value will drop from there. They place NO VALUE in the house itself. Only the land under it. Since the house has no value they do not put effort into making a quality house. A few examples are. Thin exterior walls with almost no insulation. Even thinner interior walls. No central heat. They put a heater under a table and a blanket over the top. People sit under the table with the blanket covering their lowers. Exterior doors have gaps (I have pictures).

Back during the war tha Japanese were certain that if invaded there would be a systematic rape and murder of their women as they had done to the Chinese. Their view of people who surrender was lower than animals. This is why they treated our people so badly.

They would not just surrender. It took the Emperor (their god) to allow them to surrendor.

If you knew in your heart that aliens were going to kill you would you just give up?

We had to drop the bomb on cities so all could see the result. Not some distant island most could reach.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Agree. War is not ok.

I think what the gentleman was saying was that there was no hatred toward the military foe who had sown such devastation. Rather, the Japanese would not hold onto anger or take revenge but instead move forward. There is a Shinto shrine to honor Japan's war dead, but the Hiroshima Peace Memorial is what has emerged as Japan's remembrance of the destruction and call for peace.

One of the famous pictures of the Hiroshima destruction is what remained of a domed building. That domed shell is part of that Peace Memorial. Fat Boy was detonated almost overhead of that structure, as it was near the intended target, a bridge.

Re America's "wars". I think most Americans do not realize that WW2 was the last "war". Everything else has been "military engagements". We need to stop calling them "wars" (in fact I used to refer to the [first] Gulf War as the Iraq Massacre).

As you so excellently and eloquently said, "War is a game that some think they can play just a little bit." And usually those "some", who think that, have never themselves gone to war. Through lies and propaganda, those "some" convince others to fight, though the "some" themselves never fight.

Remember Peace.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
SKULL!! I call Skull. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that there is a skull image just to the right of the bomb in the picture, near the bottom. Either a skull or a bowling ball, but its got a nose and a mouth and teeth and all, so I call SKULL!!
edit on 12-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
God, what a bunch of worthless whiny pussies. "Oh the poor Japs..." Just goes to show what a couple of generations will do to create mindless buffoons. You worthless eaters exist in freedom because we stood up to Japanese tyranny. The atomic bomb was one of the greatest acts of mercy in history, yet your tiny propagandized minds can't comprehend any of the reality of this time..

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Sorry about the mix up.

Yah, I see it. There are a number of "faces" in that picture. Look for two eyes set apart, then add facial details around them.

There could also be 80,000 souls floating around there too.

edit on 12-1-2013 by intrptr because: wrong user

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stillwind

"...worthless...whiny...poor...mindless...tiny..", thats all I heard. Was there some message you wanted to convey besides the self aggrandizement?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

reply to post by stillwind

Yah, I see it. There are a number of "faces" in that picture. Look for two eyes set apart, then add facial details around them.

There could also be 80,000 souls floating around there too.

Yes, and there's a bunch of goats and demons and a sheep or two. Seeing "faces" in pics and clouds and just anywhere around you is fun, because they are always there. Author Robert Anton Wilson said if you can't find the Virgin Mary within ten feet of you you're not doing it right. The brain is a wonderful thing, and can "see" patterns quickly. Look! an Emu!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Maybe this is why the USA likes to pretend they will always have the upper hand as far as weapons of war goes.....you touch us, we will obliterate you with our sci-fi tech.....who knows....it worked with the Russians back then...
They were s@*t scared of America after Hiroshima....No wonder, it was the ultimate statement of intent..

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

That face in the upper right is the best. It looks like the devil himself. Not a butterfly or bunny rabbit. A devils face.
Grinning. Looking straight at the camera.

You may say its fantasy, I give it a little more.

If you authored something so big, wouldn't you show off, just a little? The single biggest simultaneous murder of people in the history of the planet? You know he would autograph his work. He is the devil after all. And full of himself.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

The single biggest simultaneous murder of people in the history of the planet?

Except for the fact it was not murder....

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

One of the famous pictures of the Hiroshima destruction is what remained of a domed building. That domed shell is part of that Peace Memorial. Fat Boy was detonated almost overhead of that structure, as it was near the intended target, a bridge.

The fireball overhead the city...

The building and bridge in background. Target zero...

Slate wiper...

Thank you for that reply. You are so right. It is important to forgive. Might be kind of hard these days. I know that every time someones father, mother or child dies it is more probable that another "enemy" is created. I can't say I blame them for that either. I guess the difference between then and now is one of justification of the cause for the wars.

War does temper ones spirit doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Curious. Why didn't the radio-active fallout from the blast destroy the picture?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Great find, Smylee!

I didn't read the book in class, but found it during 'break time'. Touching story, and why I made so many paper cranes in her memory...

or maybe Senbazuru for my very special wish.

Senbazuru

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stillwind
God, what a bunch of worthless whiny pussies. "Oh the poor Japs..." Just goes to show what a couple of generations will do to create mindless buffoons. You worthless eaters exist in freedom because we stood up to Japanese tyranny. The atomic bomb was one of the greatest acts of mercy in history, yet your tiny propagandized minds can't comprehend any of the reality of this time..

Now this is pure f*****g bullcrap. As a conservative in my 20s, I do have to agree that there are a lot of propaganda tales about the atomic bomb and the intent, but saying something as cruel as this is just an example of non understanding and intolerance. The Japanese were completely devastated shortly before Hiroshima. They had begged the Soviets to except surrender, but the reds were keen on continuing their short lived invasion of Manchuria. There were more elements in the Japanese government wanting to end the war rather than to continue it. There was no Japanese tyranny anymore in August of 1945. "The atomic bomb was one of the greatest acts of mercy in history", saying something like that is just ridiculously stupid. While it is true that American planes did drop hundreds if not thousands of leaflets and papers over the Hiroshima area warning them of a devastating attack, it is also true that the drop of the bomb did most likely save the lives of Americans needed in the invasion of Tokyo. But that invasion could have never happened. The emperor had given the direct order to surrender days before Hiroshima, the allied code breakers did know this, but chose to drop it anyway. So I have differing views about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But saying is was an act of mercy is just plain stupid and insulting to the thousands that died from the blast and the generations to come that would suffer from the horrendous effects of the radiation. Learn your own history dude, then make foolish remarks like that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by smyleegrl

Curious. Why didn't the radio-active fallout from the blast destroy the picture?

That is an interesting question. Only from JiggerJ!

There is a certain brilliance in knowing how to answer questions. But the TRUE brilliance lies in knowing which questions to ask to begin with.

Well done, sir.
edit on 12-1-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join