learn more

Rare Photo of A-Bomb Found in HIroshima

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatcoat
Surely that would have given the Japanese reason to surrender?

No, it would have been a sign of weakness. It took 2 bombs on military targets, and even then only due to the intervention of the emperor did Japan surrender. Also there was an attempt at a military coup when some officers learnt japan was going to surrender.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragsntatters
I didn't know that the Japanese were willing to surrender unconditionally before the bomb was dropped

Neither did the Japanese! if Japan was willing to surrender unconditionally they would have, but they refused to. It took 2 bombs for that to happen.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Surely that would have given the Japanese reason to surrender?

No, it would have been a sign of weakness. It took 2 bombs on military targets, and even then only due to the intervention of the emperor did Japan surrender. Also there was an attempt at a military coup when some officers learnt japan was going to surrender.

Well, I wouldn't call 150,000 dead a military target... and I certainly wouldn't call it a sign of "strength".....and you know, waving a mossberg in an intruders face will, in most cases, scare them off. You don't have to shoot them.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for that, that's made my day (and its only 850am)...
What a remarkable sight to see..

The cloud didn't break in two, it drifted that way. Its fully connected, like if you drag a slinky!

Compared to today's conventional weapons, it looks kind of small!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

As sad as it is to see, thank you for sharing. I enjoy different perspectives and observations on things and this is an angle I have never seen...new to me...I hope we learn from our mistakes.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
A very powerful picture ( no pun intended ) and a sad moment. Star and flag for this

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Hi Smylee -
my uncle flew in the squadron that dropped that bomb. When I was a teenager he told me the story. At that time he was dieing of cancer. Go figure.
But as he told me his squadron was on a 'normal' bomb run. they had no idea what they were doing. they had simply been ordered to go drop a bomb. He said when they dropped the bomb and they saw it go off they all about *hit realizing what they had done. He was so remorseful of what they did. It haunted him to the day he died. He was so angry and felt like a pawn to TPTB.
To see the anguish and sadness in his eyes as he talked about it was awful. Although he had no control of what was done he was so, so haunted about it. And apparently the bomb took his life early also, so very sad. And back then cancer treatments were pretty - well - barbaric.

edit on 11-1-2013 by horseplay because: typo
edit on 11-1-2013 by horseplay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by horseplay
But as he told me his squadron was on a 'normal' bomb run. they had no idea what they were doing. they had simply been ordered to go drop a bomb. He said when they dropped the bomb and they saw it go off they all about *hit realizing what they had done.

You have been told a fairy story. The 509th Composite group trained for the bomb for months, they had specially modified B-29 bombers and knew what they were training for.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I would say enjoy, but perhaps it would be better to say.....remember.

Indeed.

This is the picture of Little Boy's destruction (equivalent to 15,000 tons of TNT). Three days later, Nagasaki's bomb was Fat Man (21,000 tons of TNT). WW2 had already produced horrific leveling of cities in Germany and Japan via fire bombing and conventional bombs. These two new bombs unleashed not only new power but an invisible damage, radiation.

After WW2, nuclear bombs would continue to be exploded for testing in the Pacific Ocean "proving grounds" and in Nevada. But it was Little Boy that brought forth in fury the Nuclear Age.

...the destructive power of the nuclear weapon would try to be tempered with the "peaceful" use of nuclear power ... the irony of Fukushima

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jykan

I think there was a lot of thought regarding the decision to drop the bomb. I am sure all the consequences were concidered. Including what would happen if they didnt drop the bomb. Like our men continuing to die in war. Would they have second quesed dropping it on us?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I've always wondered why they didn't just drop the bomb a short distance out to sea...maybe a deserted island where all could see. Surely that would have given the Japanese reason to surrender?

Yeah, when a giant freaking Tsunami hits them

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

I'm trying to research by his name but not having any luck. My sis is into genealogy I'll find out more tomorrow. He did say he was not THE plane that dropped it but one of the - I don't know what you call it - group. squadron. He would have no reason to lie to me I will find out more. I've always been a bit tormented by his story. He didn't tell it to me until he was dieing and I was only like 16, naive to say the least.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I've always wondered why they didn't just drop the bomb a short distance out to sea...maybe a deserted island where all could see. Surely that would have given the Japanese reason to surrender?

That was considered. The questions raised about that from memory:

What if it didn't work? Although a "device" had been detonated in the New Mexico desert, an actual bomb had never been tested. Concerns that the Japanese officials attending would think we were loopy to bring them out to the coast and watch... nothing. This might bolster their determination and defiance against surrendering.

If it was dropped on a city and failed to detonate, then the consensus was,"Nothing ventured, nothing gained". The American side would be the only ones to know about the failure and could "save face".

If it did work in a demonstration, the Japanese might not get the full effect of the bomb from a (safe) distance. There was concern that the threat of other bombs would not make them then consider surrender. Besides, only the witnesses present would see it and they may have trouble convincing others in the Japanese government to accept their tales of a new weapon capable of destroying an entire city.

In the end it was decided to drop it on a city (long in fact before the bombs were ever built) so that the ensuing destruction would remain and be a testament to the power of the atomic bomb. Not only for the Japanese but for the Russians. It was feared at the time they would attempt an invasion into some part of Japan themselves and the Americans wanted to send them a message. There were only two bombs at the time, so they thought they would still have one back up if the first one failed.

As it turned out, they both worked, the Japanese saw the destruction and loss of life. They surrendered and the Russians stayed out of Japan and stopped their advance elsewhere.

Not defending it by any means just recounting the process of target selection.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing. Anything that reminds people of the atomic war waged on Japan is s good thing.

Especially if it enlightens us:

This bronze Buddha was melted by heat from the Hiroshima bomb. Bronze melts at around 1600 degrees F. The temperature on the ground beneath the exploding Hiroshima bomb reached about 7000 degrees. Hiroshima Peace Museum, Hiroshima, Japan. November 13, 1984.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
There were only two bombs at the time, so they thought they would still have one back up if the first one failed.

The 3rd bomb would have been ready to drop on the 19th, then there would be one ready to drop about every 10 days after that.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

There were only two bombs at the time, so they thought they would still have one back up if the first one failed.

The 3rd bomb would have been ready to drop on the 19th, then there would be one ready to drop about every 10 days after that.

At_The_Time. More bombs could have been available later because of the store of U235 they captured aboard the German U Boat. That material would need to be cast and machined into elements for more bombs. That would have taken a lot more time than you say. I could be wrong, maybe if you provide a source for your claims about the rain of bombs?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I could be wrong, maybe if you provide a source for your claims about the rain of bombs?

"The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II, A Collection of Primary Sources". National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 162. George Washington University. 13 August 1945."

www.gwu.edu...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

deterrent factor

they could of dropped it in an un populated area
but still like you pointed out the girl born with
(blood cancer)leukemia ,i remember the
video of the little girl walking in the road with all
burns on her little body very sad

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

That file shows that at the time of dropping the first two they were the only two available. What I said still stands.

Thanks for the link. That was interesting

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
That is a photo of a mushroom cloud that contains vapourized people and buildings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join