It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk wants a vegetarian utopia on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Huffington Article

Billionaire space pioneer Elon Musk wants to get a Martian colony of 80,000 people up and running by ferrying folks out there for $500,000 a trip.

You will have to click on the link in the Huffington Article to read all the details.

I am wondering how this could be accomplished. Is there enough water in the Martian soil to grow vegetables? The atmosphere is CO2 rich, and that is what plants breathe. Is it possible for the Mars Rovers to have been able to plant seeds and see if anything can grow ?

Just curious.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It is interesting to see what NASA is up to in regards to planting vegetation on Mars

Designer Plants on Mars

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

1stly It would help LOTS ..if you link the ORIGINAL Source so fellow members don't waste bandwidth ..which is expensive ok.

Elon Musk envisions small town of VEGETARIANS ON MARS (By Brid-Aine Parnell Posted in Science, 27th November 2012 11:55 GMT) [theregister.co.uk]

2ndly NO where in the source article are vegetarians mentioned EXCEPT in the title of the the article! :shk:

3rdly There is also no need to go without meat and here is why ...

Artificial Meat - Would that be OK with you (and PETA)? (by centurion1211 posted on 10-7-2005 @ 01:23 PM) [ATS]

POOP BURGER: Japanese Researcher Creates Artificial Meat From Human Feces (by manta78 posted on 14-6-2011 @ 07:10) [ATS]

What the @# are these people thinking? (by MathiasAndrew posted on 15-10-2011 @ 05:13 AM) [ATS]

[Note the last link also contains info on Jellybeans made from Human DNA .. so they can have sweets as well]

Personal Disclosure: And by 10yrs from now I can forsee atomic 3d level printers being very possible tech .. just print a meal. No wastage and no waiting months.

Seeds ... pffft! :shk:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
You are right, I should have explained what the article was about rather than snipping a quotation.

Here are my thoughts. Why didn't NASA have the foresight to have the rovers build (or have a pre-assembled) a small greenhouse with UV radiation protection as well as temperature controlled? There should have been a way for a rover to maintain the greenhouse, take observations as well as plant some seeds. This would have been an absolutely crucial experiment if terra forming is ever planned.

Plants = Oxygen production which = Atmospheric pressure which = Ozone layer

Plants breathe CO2 which comprises 90% of the Mars atmosphere.

Here is the wikilink about terraforming Mars
edit on 12-1-2013 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

top topics

join