It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should all comment on each others threads?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Getting slightly tired of this silly trend of members getting upset about members from other countries commenting in their threads. This is an international board and if I want to have an opinion on what's going on in your country then ill post it. The same should apply vice versa.

The beauty of ATS, is that it's an international site, so we have the benefit of opinion from others rather than just people from our own countries. It's a shame we don't have more countries represented. If we all stuck to just issues that concerned our own countries then ATS is going to get very boring

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Agreed!

It's like:

"What country are you from?"

"Australia."

"Well piss of then!"

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Damn us all to hell, it doesnt matter. Where my beer god damn itz!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I notice a large part of the problem is that people are telling other people they are wrong...
they should be telling other people they THINK other people are wrong...
oh and America Wins!! We're Number 1!!

edit on 1/11/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Gee, a thinly veiled rant on the gun control issue

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

I know right? At least I half played along...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Well said, we shouldn't have to tip-toe on egg shells when passing indifferent/unpopular comment on the issues of other nations... it's up for discussion - they (whoever), can leave their blind patriotism at the door.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Americans: Spend most of their lives glued to the idiot box.
Canadians: Don't, but only because they can't get more American channels.
Brits: Pay a tax just so they can watch 4 channels.
Aussies: Export all their crappy programs, which no one there watches, to Britain, where everybody loves them.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Aussies: Export all their crappy programs, which no one there watches, to Britain, where everybody loves them.

LOL, so true

But yeah OP, I have personally been told that because I am not American I have no right to an opinion many times over the years. I usually tell them to stop interfering in the worlds affairs and we'll follow suit - to which they usually hastily change the conversation.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

I notice a large part of the problem is that people are telling other people they are wrong...
they should be telling other people they THINK other people are wrong...
oh and America Wins!! We're Number 1!!

Yup, that's correct... number 1 in obesity in the anglo-developed world

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Ah yes but I was actually referring to something else, a little hidden.. Sort of British humor really.. self deprecation? mix some sarcasm in? point out the complainers about freedom of speech??

What other countries should understand is most Americans don't care what you guys do in your own countries.. In fact we know very little about it at all in general. So a lot of us don't like your grubby fingers in our business. You may feel so inclined because of what our unelected government does to the world, but that is not us..

Never forget that America is basically every country.. My old best friend was an African American White guy who was originally South African, but then became an Aussie, and after about 10 years in the US he's a citizen here.. He's an American, but he's such an Aussie.

Still has that accent, which is way cooler than that silly British one.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I comletely agree. ATS needs to be kept as International as possible and I would even say that the owners need to reaffirm this in a boardwide message or thread.

I am fed up with the presumtion by some that we are all American. It leads to ignorant posts and a lack of acceptance and perspective by those who do so.

Being called a "yank" by a fellow Englishman was a joke.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You're right.

It doesn't matter what country anyyone is from. All people on the planet are equally stupid and suck. Some countries just have the ability to spread their stupid around more.

Yay Earthlings!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Gee, a thinly veiled rant on the gun control issue

Some people see only what they want to see. It was more inspired about the Obama administration wanting the UK to stay in the eu. , but its fair to say it applies to some of the gun threads too. get over it.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
get over it.

No you get over it silly.

Mr start a rant and then say get over it.. haha.

JAK

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Do you have even a passing familiarity with woodwardjnr or did you come to that assumption all by yourself?

From just one other thread: UK risks 'turning inwards' over EU referendum - US official

Originally posted by ganjoa
OK I'm an ugly American and don't have a right to an opinion about what the folks in the UK do politically.
HOWEVER - if the government of the USA wants something, it's probably NOT in the best interests of the citizens in the UK and my opinion is that you should have your referendum and take appropriate action.
You guys have a commonwealth as well as a union so really what do you need the EU for?

ganjoa

Originally posted by spleenika
As an American, who has properly been asked to keep my nose out of it, please forgive my intrusion.

I think a referendum is an incredibly important, good idea. How can there be any legitimacy on such a national issue, without seeking consent from the electorate?

Why even vote for anything, if the government knows whats best for its people without a vote? Just toss the whole voting nonsense if you believe the people can not be trusted.

What decision your country makes, is up to your fellow countrymen to debate and decide. But as a friend, I think you should at least be given the choice. And yes, our President should have kept his nose out of it. I will remove mine as well now.

While it may be uppermost in your mind perhaps not every post offered on ATS of late is completely focused on gun control. Perhaps there is a broader point here. Perhaps this one rests on more than a paranoid, personally motivated assumption. Perhaps with such a knee-jerk reaction, one that I would suggest reflects more your personal perspective/fears/obsession than the open intent of this thread and is symbolic of the mentality which leads here, you're contributing to the very climate which has allowed things to deteriorate to such a level that a statement such as this is required and where posts such as the two quoted above are offered with such a disclaimer.

Of course, if you were being ironic with the above in mind . . . then yah-boo, Jak bit.

Great and valid point woodwardjnr and good to see it being supported here.

edit on 11/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by Perhaps

What other countries should understand is most Americans don't care what you guys do in your own countries..

haha I think this is most of the problems?

In fact we know very little about it at all in general.

Problem number two!

You may feel so inclined because of what our unelected government does to the world

Three!

but that is not us

You should fix that.

Never forget that America is basically every country.

I think many Western countries could be described this way and have a lot of immigrants.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

That was all tongue and cheek.. All my posts here except in explanation are of this kind.
I'm posting what I imagine you expect me to as an "American."

Jealous? I don't care..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Is not my fault, they don't have sarcasm in Europe. Or humor.

*Puts on German hat*

>.>

JAK

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

I think many Western countries could be described this way and have a lot of immigrants.

"The True-Born Englishman" (1703 ed.) by Daniel Defoe

A true-born Englishman of Norman race?
A Turkish horse can show more history,
To prove his well-descended family.
Conquest, as by the moderns it is expressed,
May give a title to the lands possessed:
But that the longest sword should be so civil
To make a Frenchman English, that's the devil.
These are the heroes that despise the Dutch,
And rail at new-come foreigners so much,
Forgetting that themselves are all derived
From the most scoundrel race that ever lived;
A horrid crowd of rambling thieves and drones,
Who ransacked kingdoms and dispeopled towns,
The Pict and painted Briton, treacherous Scot,
By hunger, theft, and rapine hither brought;
Norwegian pirates, buccaneering Danes,
Whose red-haired offspring everywhere remains,
Who, joined with Norman-French, compound the breed
From whence your true-born Englishmen proceed.
And lest by Length of time it be pretended
The climate may this modern breed ha' mended,
Wise Providence, to keep us where we are,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join