It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Aether Reality

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Regarding the speed of light I think Rupert Sheldrake has some interesting things to say in his book Science Set Free, published by Crown Publishing Group, copyright 2012. In the chapter "Are the Laws of Nature Fixed?" he states:

According to Einstein’s theory of relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is an absolute constant, and modern physics is based on this assumption. Not surprisingly, early measurements of the speed of light varied considerably, but by 1927, the measured values had converged to 299,796 kilometers per second. . . . However, all around the world from about 1928 to 1945, the speed of light dropped by about 20 kilometers per second. . . . In the late 1940s the speed of light went up again by about 20 kilometers per second and a new consensus developed around the higher value. In 1972, the embarrassing possibility of variations in c was eliminated when the speed of light was fixed by definition. In addition, in 1983 the unit of distance, the meter, was redefined in terms of light. Therefore if any further changes in the speed of light happen, we will be blind to them because the length of the meter will change with the speed of light. (The meter is now defined as the length of the path traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/ 299,792,458 of a second.) The second is also defined in terms of light: it is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of vibration of the light given off by cesium 133 atoms in a particular state of excitation (technically defined as the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state).

How can the drop in c between 1928 and 1945 be explained? This remarkable episode in the history of physics is now generally attributed to the psychology of metrologists. Brian Petley, a leading British metrologist, explained it thus: The tendency for experiments in a given epoch to agree with one another has been described by the delicate phrase “intellectual phase locking.” Most metrologists are very conscious of the possible existence of such effects; indeed ever-helpful colleagues delight in pointing them out! Aside from the discovery of mistakes, the near completion of the experiment brings more frequent and stimulating discussion with interested colleagues and the preliminaries to writing up the work add a fresh perspective. All of these circumstances combine to prevent what was intended to be “the final result” from being so in practice, and consequently the accusation that one is most likely to stop worrying about correction when the value is closest to other results is easy to make and difficult to refute.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The torch analogy is good but in my theory it has to be reduced to the scale of one photon wave packet and calculated from that wave packets trajectory, its quite possible to shoot a single photon.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by primalfractal

Yeah, I was thinking you used the torch concept as a way to explain the concept better, and it worked. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept. I can tell you have put a lot thought into the idea. I am bit too wrapped up in the plasma concept. Trying to converge the two ideas.

It would be a very difficult experiment to pull off. What would it tell us about how light moves? Kind of create a fold in the movement of light. I'm stretching here.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Interesting little side line on the history of measuring the speed of light. A lot of this comes from the accuracy of our ability to measure the speed of light. Sometimes good data gets thrown out for the wrong reasons.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Originally posted by DJW001

You are already making the assumption that light is a wave that propagates in a medium. It is true that light displays behaviors that are analogous to such waves, eg; polarization and interference, and they can be treated mathematically as though they were. However, they are not. A photon's "wavelength" is a measure of the particles' energy, not its physical extension. It is a massless particle's equivalent to mass.

If light is treated as a wave mathematically, in my earlier example, it will initially be mathematically pointed at A but the wave will mathematically be headed towards B, after its been moved. The maths defines where the photon is.

That this predicts the existance of a medium for the wave, based on logic, science and math is the reason for the experiment.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Kind of create a fold in the movement of light.

Thanks for having a look at the theory, it would be a difficult experiment, but not completely impossible as I was first told by some. I think you are right with the effect you mention, the light would curve with radial movement also possible.

Thanks to for presenting the plasma idea, which is interesting and which I will be investigating also as time allows.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Related to going faster than light, if my experiment could curve photons, it could also prehaps push photons past LS. If light had even the tiniest bit of mass could it be leveraged somehow to cause acceleration, centrifugal force of some kind prehaps from the curve.

What would happen if light did go faster than light? It seems to happen in pulsars.

Superluminal speeds are associated with a phenomenon known as anomalous dispersion,

physicsworld.com... lsar-bursts-move-faster-than-light
edit on 26-1-2013 by primalfractal because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2013 by primalfractal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

The only way for light to appear to curve would be when traveling upon the Curvature of Space/Time which such curvature would be created by a very large amount of Mass which would create the Gravitic Curvature of Space/Time.

Light Waves cannot...by any existing effect other than Gravity...travel in any other way than in a direct line in any normal non-effected Space/Time.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by primalfractal
physicsworld.com... lsar-bursts-move-faster-than-light

The link didn't work.

Is this the article? "Pulsar bursts move 'faster than light'" - Jan 11, 2010:

Every physicist is taught that information cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. Yet laboratory experiments done over the last 30 years clearly show that some things appear to break this speed limit without upturning Einstein's special theory of relativity. Now, astrophysicists in the US have seen such superluminal speeds in space – which could help us to gain a better understanding of the composition of the regions between stars. . . .

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

But of course, this is the important part:

Superluminal speeds are associated with a phenomenon known as anomalous dispersion, whereby the refractive index of a medium (such as an atomic gas) increases with the wavelength of transmitted light. When a light pulse – which is comprised of a group of light waves at a number of different wavelengths – passes through such a medium, its group velocity can be boosted to beyond the velocity of its constituent waves. However, the energy of the pulse still travels at the speed of light, which means that information is transferred in agreement with Einstein's theory.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Having slept on it, I think what you saying is that if you can move the photon emitter quick enough, and fire the second photon so that it is close enough to the first photon, and it causes a change in direction of the first photon, then that proves that the wave is created by some sort of aether, or medium.

I wonder if this could be done by two photon sources, where the second photon is aimed and timed for a very close pass by the first photon.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Thus the concept of higher dimensions, where you are able to cross what is perceived to be a vast distance by taking a short cut.

Look up Bohm's work on entanglement.

A wiki link should do as a start.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I still haven't found any link on using the moon mirror to measure the speed of light.

Hear is a good link on the subject.

galileo.phys.virginia.edu...

The original work, was a matter of calculating when a specific event would occur, and then finding the difference between the time the event should have occurred, and when it was observed on Earth, and then using that to determine the speed of light.

However, this only gives an average speed of light, and not the acceleration. The acceleration of light has not been measured in nearly enough environments to determine it is a universal constant.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

If I emit 2m of an 8m wave packet, then move the device, what happens to the other 6m of wave? Does it disappear? because in physics the wave is constantly emitted.
edit on 28-1-2013 by primalfractal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Not exactly but interesting idea.

A single wave packet. Move the emitter when the wave is part out and the wave moves with it (sideways), if the wave moves the photon curves, science uses the wave to mathematically define where the photon is. If the photon curves then the wave must exist physically somewhere ie aether.

The beauty of this theory is that it is based on current scientific process. For it to work, light just has to follow the rules already set out by physics. If it does this then the "math" wave would be real. This is the aether.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I am very well aware and versed in Quantum Entaglement.

The thing is in this particular action of moving the flashlight quick enough...if it were not for the extension at the end of the flashlight there would be no directed beam as without it light and Photons of whould radiate in all direction perpendicular to the flashlight lens plane no matter how fast as long as it was less that light speed which it would have to be as Matter cannot travel this fast.

A proof to this is if one would to do this in the dark and deep of Space a person could see the light being emmitted from any angle that is 90 degrees on any side of the flashlight as light would generate out at 180 degrees in every direction.

No matter where the flashlight is aimed light will always be emmitted in 180 degrees. If the beam lip is added the light that would have emmitted in 180 degrees is focused in a narrow beam and since there is no air for light to illuminate as a visul beam which would extend out to a wider extent that if there was no air...a person could not see any light if they were positioned anywhere behind the focused of such light.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The Moon Laser mirror was not used to calculate Light Speed.

As far as Light...Light has a speed or Velocity but does not have an acceleration. If it did it would not remain constant in speed. Plus Quantum Particle/Wave Forms do not accelerate.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Well to even do this the flashlight would have to be moving at very close to light speed which of course is not something that tend to exist in nature.

But lets say it did. Most likely the wave would shorten and we would see a Frequency Shift.

This is consistent with Red/Blue shifts that occur in an object traveling away from the observer.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
hello members...

i am sure that there was apost on ATS that talked about this....

That the US Naval observatory had measured a 12km a sec variance in the speed of light.......

While i'm here i'd like to ask a question if i may.......is it just the light from our sun that is being measured against??????

ie...our sun is a medium class star......does it put out medium light speed things????

now a more energetic star that could be a thousand times bigger.......does it put out its light at the same speed as our medium class sun????

how would we measure the other star accurately when we can't send any measuring gear there?????

another post i read on ATS was that the red shift standard for determining that light moving away from us or towards us.....was being questioned......ie some galaxies that were thought to be moving away where actually coming closer and visa-versa....the so-called red shift is not consistent......

Do different stars push out light at different speeds?????.

Whats happening beteen the stars???........i was led to believe in...the cold dead vacuum of space.......
but yet satalites/probes floating in space are measuring temps in the 1000's of degree's......measureing density's....field sizes.....magnetic strengths....directions of movment....

how do we have solar winds in a vacuum???????
how do we transfer heat through a vacuum?????......its an insulator.

can a more knowledgable member set me straight with my questions....

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tri-lobe-1

It does not matter what size, magnitude or age a star is thus what color such as Blue Giant or Red Dwarf...the speed of light is constant.

The only time we observe light in a state that seems to contradict this is when there is a large, massive celestial body or bodies that create Gravitational Lensing.

As far as measuring Light Speed...every one that has come up with number that show ligh to be traveling either faster or slower than it's current calculated speed...such as the Photons through a Diamond and the just recently...European measurement of Light Speed that calculated light to be traveling at a different rate only to find out later it was due to an issue in the technical aspect of the measurement.

As far as SPACE and when one hears of the High Temps. of Space near a Star or in a Nebula...when Stellar Radiation travels through Space...since the space itself is by definition an area that contains no Matter...the Space itself cannot obtain a Temp.

However any Matter that is in such space that would be close to a stellar source or filled with gas as in a Nebula...such matter would obtain High Temps. from the result of the Matter being bombarded by Stellar Radiation.

Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join