Sun orbiting Comet? WTF?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Does anyone know about Comet 1950?

en.wikipedia.org...

(29075) 1950 DA
(29075) 1950 DA is a near-Earth asteroid. It is notable for having the highest known probability of impacting Earth. It has the highest Palermo rating with a value of 0.17 for a possible collision in the year 2880; Wikipedia
Discovered: February 22, 1950
Absolute magnitude: 17
Orbits: Sun
Asteroid group: Apollo asteroid
Discoverer: Carl A. Wirtanen
Discovery site: Lick Observatory

It won't hit for a very long time but I'm surprised because I didn't know there were Sun orbiting comets. Is there a third Asteroid belt in the inner Solar System somewhere between Earth and the Sun?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

I'm a bit confused. Your link is to an asteroid, not a comet.

But comets do orbit our sun. Halley's Comet

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Sure are lots of sundiving comets;

makes sense some are on a 3D spiral path of some sort

and a few maybe in a long term solar ORBIT til shifted by external gravities, someday:

West
Hale Bop
Halleys
Hyakutake
Tempel 1

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
and..

Sun orbiting Comet? WTF?

PS the Title includes hyphenated vulgarity and is misleading:

do you mean "Sun-orbiting Comet?" or "Comet orbiting Sun?"

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If somethings in our playground it's in orbit

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

My mistake. You are correct, it is an Asteroid, and a Sun orbiting Asteroid at that. My goal is to draw attention to the fact that there are objects which orbit our Sun besides the planets.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

I meant Sun-orbiting Comet however, it's been pointed to me that 1950 DA is a Sun orbiting Asteroid, not a Comet. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostbook

My goal is to draw attention to the fact that there are objects which orbit our Sun besides the planets.

Yes. Yes there are.
Comets. Asteroids. Meteoriods (dust). Even some spacecraft.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

By Spacecraft do you mean Top Secret craft? or the Satellites and such which gather info about the Sun? I'd be willing to bet the Top Secret Craft option. That would be a lot more cool right, Phage?.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

My mistake. You are correct, it is an Asteroid, and a Sun orbiting Asteroid at that. My goal is to draw attention to the fact that there are objects which orbit our Sun besides the planets.

I apologize if this sounds mean as it is not my intention, but I am utterly flabergasted that you did not know that there are objects other than the planets orbiting our system's star, and I truly hope you are trolling.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I still don't get where you got the Sun orbiting a comet from though? Your heading confuses me still.. Don't worry about what I said before this, just scrolled down and seen your explanation.
edit on 11-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I take it you don't know about this

Ten's of thousands of asteroids orbit the sun

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I know about the belt between Mars and Jupiter and the Oort cloud belt past Neptune. I am talking about the potential of another, smaller belt between Earth and the Sun.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Did you know that an asteroid shares the Earth's orbit around our sun, in sort of a dance?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
and..

Sun orbiting Comet? WTF?

PS the Title includes hyphenated vulgarity and is misleading:

do you mean "Sun-orbiting Comet?" or "Comet orbiting Sun?"

Being tired I mis-read the title of the topic aswell..I thought it was going to be about a Sun orbiting a comet! (Now that would warrent a 'WTF'!

top topics

join