It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15-year old boy uses AR-15 to defend himself, sister against home invaders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

15-YEAR OLD BOY USES AR-15 TO DEFEND HIMSELF, SISTER AGAINST HOME INVADERS

www.breitbart.com

A 15-year old boy used his father’s AR-15 to defend himself and his 12-year old sister against two burglars at their home just north of Houston, Texas.
Their father is a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy constable, and the boy knew what he had to do to keep himself and his sister alive. Around 2:30 PM, two men tried to break in, with one going through the front door and the other in the back.

(visit the link for the full news article)

This part of the article stood out most to me. Transparency in the home is a good thing. Its about good parenting and giving your children proper training and responsibilities and holding them accountable to those things.

“We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

Related News Links:
www.khou.com
www.khou.com
edit on 10-1-2013 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We're seeing a flood of threads and news headlines seeking to demonize guns but do people realize guns are used in self defense over 2.5 million times a year?

What would've happened if these two burglars invaded this home to find a 15 year old boy and his little sister? murder? kidnap? maybe even rape?

You know what? I'm SO DAMN GLAD we didn't have to sit here and click on the thread telling us 2 burglars broke into a home and murdered two children with a mother and father in deep sorrow, and community destroyed. We now have 2 criminals in pain and prison and 2 victims are safe, all because their father taught them how to safely and effectively use a semi-automatic rifle.

Gary Kleck, a criminologist. democrat and former gun control advocate has changed his mind after conducting a large American study on guns, defense, and crime.

Read his book here:
www.largo.org...

civilliberty.about.com...

- For every use of a gun to commit a crime, there are three-to-four cases of guns being used in self-defense of a crime.

- Assault and robbery rates are lower when victims are armed with a gun.

- A gun is used in self-defense to protect its owner from crime 2.5 million times per year, an average of once every 13 seconds.

- Fifteen percent of the gun defenders interviewed believed someone would have died if they had not been armed. If true, that’s an average of one life saved due to firearm self-defense every 1.3 minutes.

- In nearly 75% of the cases, the victim did not know his attackers. In nearly 50% of the cases, he faced at least two attackers and in nearly 25% of the cases, there were three or more attackers. A quarter of the incidents of self-defense occurred away from the home.

www.criminology.fsu.edu...

Education
Ph.D. 1979, University of Illinois at Urbana; Sociology
M.A. 1975, University of Illinois at Urbana; Sociology
B.A. 1973, University of Illinois, with High Honors and with Distinction; Sociology

Courses Taught
Research Design and Causal Inference
Survey Research
Criminology
Applied Statistics
Regression
Introduction to Research Methods
Law Enforcement
Research Methods in Criminology
Violence Theory Seminar
Crime Control
Assessing Evidence
Guns and Violence

Kleck's recent research on illegal gun markets has found that organized gun trafficking is largely irrelevant to the arming of America's criminals, and that high-volume trafficking is virtually nonexistent. Instead, gun theft is central to the channeling of guns into criminal hands. Other recent research has found that higher general gun ownership rates reduce homicide rates, probably because the violence-reducing effects of guns among noncriminal victims and prospective victims outweigh the violence-increasing effects of guns among criminals.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm glad they are ok, but seriously CAPS is not cruise control for cool.

Anyway on to the subject matter. I don't think there is some overbearing media conspiracy to take everyone's guns away. It's just a hot topic right now and it sells ad space. When it's not the topic du jour I'm sure they will take up whatever else crops up. People will stop talking about it here and things will calm down.

There is no danger of a gun ban. The democrats could never pass anything in the house and even if they got something through the senate the house would shoot it down. Everyone can chillax.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
A kid...wielding an AR-15...that is crazy.

Why would his father even teach his kid how to wield an assault rifle...out of all things. A pistol would have been more sufficient...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

I say good for him and his sister. He manned up and took care of his family. Gun or not, it takes a pair to stand up for what you believe/protect in these days.

Great thread and article. Star and flag.

-SAP-

link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Good stuff.

link   
Hell yea good goin little bro!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
I'm glad they are ok, but seriously CAPS is not cruise control for cool.

Anyway on to the subject matter. I don't think there is some overbearing media conspiracy to take everyone's guns away. It's just a hot topic right now and it sells ad space. When it's not the topic du jour I'm sure they will take up whatever else crops up. People will stop talking about it here and things will calm down.

There is no danger of a gun ban. The democrats could never pass anything in the house and even if they got something through the senate the house would shoot it down. Everyone can chillax.

When I made this thread, they asked for the title exactly how it was in the headline. I literally didn't change anything, simply copy and pasted. I think I can change it though.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Im not anti-gun but how is it self defense if he want being attacked?

Also why wasnt the gun locked up?

edit on 10-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Someone was breaking into his home.. Do you know the #1 reason that burglars end up hurting someone in some way in a home? In case you don't, it's because they thought the home was vacant and then realized when it was too late that someone was there.

Witnesses suck.

I hope if anyone ever breaks into your home you don't have to learn this the hard way.

link   
Awesome! One for the good guys and the ability to defend ones home from invasion and control. Good thing he had the semi-auto otherwise he may not have been able to defend himself as the intruders were entering from both front and back doors.

These are the stories which need to go viral.

link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Why would his father even teach his kid how to wield an assault rifle...out of all things. A pistol would have been more sufficient...

It's a damned good thing he did teach him how to responsibly use a firearm - otherwise, as the OP mentioned, we might be reading a story about 2 dead or missing kids.

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

He stopped it before it got that far. Also breaking and entering someone's home without consent is against the law and people have the right to defend their own.

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

An assault rifle is classified as automatic.

The AR-15 is semi-automatic, just like many handguns are. So why is a semi-automatic AR-15 more dangerous than a semi-automatic handgun?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

He handled it like an American.

link   
In before someone says the boy went overboard and parents were irresponsible for teaching him how to use an assault rifle.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see someone already HAD said that.

edit on 10-1-2013 by ManjushriPrajna because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

A home invasion IS an attack, And who says it wasnt?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

It's a damned good thing he did teach him how to responsibly use a firearm - otherwise, as the OP mentioned, we might be reading a story about 2 dead or missing kids.

I agree, but teaching a juvenile how to wield an assault rifle...is crazy. I think the kid may be too young to learn how to shoot an assault rifle. Perhaps a pistol would be better at that age.

I am glad that they sufficiently protected themselves though...i am glad that they are unharmed.

What were they doing home alone anyway

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Also why wasnt the gun locked up?
edit on 10-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

Are you wishing that gun WAS locked up?? Cause heh..

If the kid knew how to shoot an AR correctly and knew where it was, I think he was also trained to defend the house..
"You're the Man of the house while I'm gone, protect your little sister."

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Why?

A pistol would have been more sufficient...

Maybe. But what difference does the weapon make. The point is, they're safe, and the criminals are hurtin'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join