It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical odor in St. Bernard Parish LA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Chemical odor in St. Bernard Parish LA

www.facebook.com
WWLTV Link

chemical odor coming from St. Bernard Parish LA.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-1-2013 by Gumerk because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

JP officials are reporting a chemical odor coming from St. Bernard Parish. People in Chalmette and Terrytown are reporting burning eyes and trouble breathing. We'll have much more on this breaking news on WWLTV.com and on our 10 p.m. newscast.

Just saw this 8 minutes ago on WWLTV facebook news feed. Sounds bad. Should be on their website as well.

www.facebook.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-1-2013 by Gumerk because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Bumping this thread up, stay indoors until they figure this out. How close to Bayou Corn sink hole is this?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

CHALMETTE, La. -- Jefferson Parish officials are reporting a chemical odor coming from St. Bernard Parish, according to the Jefferson Parish Fire Department.

Oh snap, I am in JP. I went outside, everything seems normal. No chemical smell. I'll let you know if anything changes and am watching local news carefully.

Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Quite far I live closer to the sinkhole than they are and I'm about 60 miles away, don't smell anything outside here.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hmm I found this on Nola.com :

According to air quality reports on the DEQ website, levels of hydrogen sulfide and sulphur dioxide were abnormal around 6 p.m. on Thursday in the area. Current scientific evidence links short-term exposure to sulphur dioxide, ranging from 5 minutes to 24 hours, with an array of adverse respiratory effects, such as emphysema and bronchitis, as well as aggravating existing heart disease. The effects can be more profound on asthmatics, children and the elderly. On Thursday, the level of hydrogen sulfide was at 1 or 2 parts per million throughout the day, but at 6 p.m. that number jumped to 10. Levels of sulphur dioxide were between 1.6 and 2.7 parts per million throughout the day, however, climbed to 29.1 at 6 p.m., the website shows.

My b/f and I were amazed at the sunset today. The sky was extremely red, and stayed that way for a while! .. Not sure if it has anything to do with this though?
Nola.com

edit on 10-1-2013 by alittleironic because: Add link

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You could take a look at this wind map to judge if it is coming from the big sink hole out there.

hint.fm...

Just click and zoom in to the area.
edit on 10-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
You could take a look at this wind map to judge if it is coming from the big sink hole out there.

hint.fm...

Just click and zoom in to the area.
edit on 10-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

The news report said that residents of Jefferson Parish are saying that the smell is coming from St. Bernard Parish but according to the wind map that would be impossible. The winds are blowing north. If it was coming from St. Bernard it should blow away from Jefferson and over the bay. Also, not coming from the sinkhole.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Terrytown is part of Jefferson Parish it is on the "Westbank" of the Mississippi River, I added Chalmette where the smell is coming from, that is in St. Bernard Parish, and Terrytown part of Jefferson Parish to the map I already made of the aprox location of the sinkhole. Well for whatever reason I can't upload it here, anyway you can see it here:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

St. Bernard Fire Chief Thomas Stone said one of his units passed by the Rain CII facility around 7 p.m. and reported the odor and smoke coming out of one of the plant's stacks. The Terrytown Fire Department also received reports of odor, Stone said. Hazmat crews have been notified.

DEQ, State Police notified of chemical odor in St. Bernard Parish

Chalmette, LA Calciner

Be safe and vigilant!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Pretty crazy how quiet the news media is about this chemical smell now. Haven't found any reports about it since the initial reports last night. You can tell it was serious and widespread by all the Facebook comments so it will be interesting if they pick this up again or hope that it just fades away like the smell in the wind.

They blamed it on some plant last night but they deny releasing any emissions, and they were also blamed back in October when a similar event happened when folks were on a ferry and we're sickened by a chemical smell. The same company denied having anything to do with it then. Witnesses on the ferry said they saw a gray cloud from the Mississippi River.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

The plant which they think it is coming from has a long history of "releases"...hope this link works
www.search-results.com... ant+chalmette+louisiana&q19&o=APN10645&l=dis&gct=bar&atb=sysid%3D406%3Aappid%3D352%3Auid%3Deb8f3454729d7c8c%3Auc%3D1357901876%3Asrc%3Dtlbvw%3Ao%3DAPN1 0645

ETA: I live on the westbank of New Orleans and we have noticed a strong chemical like smell all week

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yeah, I'm on the east bank. So I guess that explains why I haven't smelled anything.

I find it odd that I find out about local events on ATS before I ever hear about it on the local news here.
Stay safe stealthycat!

Btw, did you see the sunset last night? It looked like the whole sky was on fire! Wish I had my camera, but was driving down airline.
edit on 11-1-2013 by alittleironic because: Typo

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alittleironic

Yes....I saw it. It was pretty and scary at the same time. I wonder if the sunset and smell are related....it was like a crimson color. I'll see if I can find some pics of it. You stay safe too homegirl
Keep an eye on the news just in case.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Don't worry, this is routine. It's just some government agency, probably the CIA, testing some toxic chemical on the population to see what happens.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alittleironic

Yea, I found out about this on ATS too before I found out on local news. I'm out here in Thibodaux
I tend to disregard smells a lot of time. When you live next to a sugar mill and the land around you is littered in oil wells, you get a lot of mixed smells lol.

edit on 11-1-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Also forgot to add DEQ believes the odor is SO2. Damn, what has been up with SO2 lately in Southeast Louisiana!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Honestly, the complacency exhibited about this odor has me so glad I don't live in LA anymore.

I love the people and the culture and I miss my family like crazy but I do not miss the dysfunctional hold that the PetroChemical industry has over everything and how everyone just looks the other way.

Meanwhile...the environment suffers with oil spills, sinkholes and poor air/water quality and the people suffer with cancer and other disease.

It was definitely a deal with the devil many decades ago when the plants all moved in...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart
Don't worry, this is routine. It's just some government agency, probably the CIA, testing some toxic chemical on the population to see what happens.

Was just about to say that. Thats probably not to far from the truth. With all the plants around as another poster mentioned, it would make a cover up quite easy to fabricate.

The media black out suggests that theyve been told to not report it by their handlers, and that this is an "inside job", ie, deliberate.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

media has been reporting the gaseous smell in NOLA but not the sinkhole in Bayou Corne.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join