It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Snow Cover Map: Where is all the Snow?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Here is the U.S. Snow Cover Map for January 10, 2013. Where is all the Snow? It's raining here in northern Wisconsin which is very rare for mid-January. On the map you can see we have very light snow cover and tomorrow is forecasted for near 40 degrees so we'll probably lose all the snow.

I'm just wondering if you are experiencing this abnormal snow cover in your area? If you live on the map, is this cover normal for you? I'd like to be able to compare this snow cover map to previous years.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Notice the spots of light cover way up in Canada! Also, if you live in the States you have to live near the border, northern half of Maine or in the mountains to probably have more than an inch or two on the ground.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
We usually have some snow here in Kentucky,and we just had some recently.
But it's gone,replaced with rain and temps in the 60's and maybe up to 70 this weekend .
Last couple of years have been unusually warm.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
January 10, 2013. Where is all the Snow?

My house.. that's where it is, dammit.

: |

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore

Originally posted by Rezlooper
January 10, 2013. Where is all the Snow?

My house.. that's where it is, dammit.

: |

You must be up by Hudson Bay then?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Climate change is a bitch isn’t it? When scientists first named it global warming they damaged there message by naming it so. It gives the wrong impression. I was just reading my Scientific American magazine the other day and it showed the weather trend for the past 30 years. @012 had broken all the records for highs since they have been keeping detailed records and it looks as though the Midwest is going to suffer even worse this year. Popular science had an article n sea ice and it appears to be getting worse. I am not sure what we can do to reverse this trend but I know that the debate needs to be settled and we need to at least admit there is a problem but there are so many special interest groups that do not have global interests at the forefront on their agenda. They are driven by short term monetary gains and nothing more.

It is a very sad predicament we are in.

BTW S&F keep posting the news some of us are listining.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
We're three weeks into winter (dec 21), give it some time.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
See that purple spot over Northern Utah?

Yeah, that's me. We're getting the entire country's share of snowfall. It's coming down as we speak. =(

We had a very warm and dry winter last year, this year has been more normal - but surprising it's not falling anywhere else.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
See that purple spot over Northern Utah?

Yeah, that's me. We're getting the entire country's share of snowfall. It's coming down as we speak. =(

We had a very warm and dry winter last year, this year has been more normal - but surprising it's not falling anywhere else.

Well, hope you like to ski anyways

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds

The first day of winter isn't the first day of winter-like weather for most of us. Usually by Dec. 21 every year we have plenty of snow and all of our ski mountains are open. We did have one snow storm this year, so we had a white Christmas here in northern WI but nothing much since except some flurries in the air. We had one 8-inch storm and now we barely have an inch on the ground.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Most if it is in my backyard. About 5ft deep.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I too have been experiencing strange weather

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yea it was 55 today, when i grew up it would be in the teens all month and go up in snow fall.

Truly weird.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A January 10 twister - although EF1, it damaged 50 homes outside of Baton Rouge, LA.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The map says we have light snow, second from lightest. I suppose it's right, we only have eight inches of it on the ground. We're having temps in the forties tomorrow so I suspect it will be down to six inches at my house. That is really light for this time of the year. We usually have at least eighteen inches. The map could put us as white though because everything is still pretty white.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sittin here in mn and this weather is very unusual. Its been raining most of the day today and hardly any snow on the ground. But ill take it, i cant stand normal winters in mn. I hate being cold.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There is plenty of snow in Oregon, and our snowpack is well above average. It was snowing this morning when I left for work.

Oregon Current Snow

I saw this article about Idaho in the newspaper. They also have a lot of snow, much more than average.

Idaho snowpack bodes well for watershed year, agency says

Link

And I love to ski, so I am very happy about the great snow conditions this year!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PacificBlue

Are you in the higher elevations? Not much skiing going on over here in WI

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

No, the elevation around here is about 500 ft above sea level, and it does not usually snow here in the Portland metro area. Mt. Hood is around 40 miles away, and every so often we get a little bit of snow when they have snow storms. There is a lot of snow this year, but I have seen more. Low snow here is usually up around 2000 ft. or higher.

I will be hoping that you get some good ski conditions, maybe spring skiing?

edit on 10-1-2013 by PacificBlue because: sp

edit on 10-1-2013 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds

Ahh, but we are over a month into "meteorological winter" which began on December 5th.

In my area, my whole life, we have had snow on the ground by Thanksgiving. And then we have snow on the ground almost all the time clear to March. Sometimes April.
Obviously, last year we had next to nothing. I remember two snows, both less than 1 inch.

This year, it has snowed twice. First time we got about 2 inches, then about 2 days later we got around 1/2 an inch. It is all gone and it was almost 60 yesterday. Supposed to be 60's this weekend. Can't say I'm sad. I'd love another snow-less winter. Minus all the drought.

ETA: I live in Northern Missouri, which the map shows being clear.

edit on 10-1-2013 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join