It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants some STS Mission Patches ? I have ten (10 ) I would like to give away.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I think what your doing is a heck of an idea.. with that being said let me offer my 2 cents..

If the thought is to pay it forward in some way, I believe you would be doing a greater deed by donating them for display to a local or regional museum where everyone (in that area) could enjoy something that they've only seen photographs of.

Then, rather than just one soul being moved by a personal gesture, 100's if not 1000's would benefit from your kind donation.

Johnny

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I am known as the yes man in my village and I am constantly bombarded with requests of help from people. Not a day will go by where i havn't done something for someone.

It used to bother me as I started to believe that people were taking me for a ride.Over time what I realised was that I was getting some self gratification by helping. Through this, doors opened up where I started to offer my help in any way I could to people because in seeing that it made them feel good, it also made me feel good.

My wife despises it sometimes as she only sees what she thinks is people taking the mickey and tells me that i am a pushover. Yet I hope that all the time I help , if at least one person can see how it makes me feel they will help out someone in whatever way they can and feel that way too.

Just to add, i once thought I was greedy but we can all feel good in doing things for others and it is free, We have just got to want too.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Chenbo because: because

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I will take one! My act of kindness will be to sell it on ebay and buy a toy for my daughter and the next kid in the isle while we are getting her a toy!

Random act of kindness from your patch......This way there are results from it and not someone spouting that they gave a stranded person money for something.......

HONESTY people goes a loooooooong way!!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I'd take one!

I have a signed and framed picture of a retired astronaut my dad works with. I can't remember his name, but he also scribbled all the STS's he's been on. I think he has like 5 of them, which is just shy of the record!

I'd have to double check the STS's he's been on, and maybe one maches one of your patches!

ETA: He's been on these missions:
STS-32 in 1990 and commanded missions STS-52 (1992), STS-63 (1995), STS-86 (1997), STS-102 (2001), and STS-113 (2002).
edit on 11-1-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think that one of the best feelings for a random act of kindness is not knowing the full impact if your act. The joy should be the act and not being told you are a good person or getting praise and thanks from the other person.

A few months back there were a few stories about people who were having their lay away items, for Christmas being paid for by perfect strangers. No one knew who really paid for the items but they were bought by someone who wanted to help someone out.

I am not really one to go into a store and seek this type of thing out, but I do have a habit of getting breakfast on Friday mornings the weeks that I get paid. To keep a little bit of the feeling alive about random acts of kindness, I will pay for my order and then ask to pay for the car behind me as well. It is sad that sometimes the cashier refuses this or looks at me like I am crazy, but more often than not they are okay with my request.

I don't know how my act of buying someone a meal impacted their lives, or even if they appreciated it. I would like to think that they were surprised and then did something nice for someone else later that day or week. At the end of the day though all that matters is I know I did something good for someone else and that makes me happy.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

sign me up man i would love one to give to my nephew for his b day next month! This is an awesome idea, and id love to be able to tell him the story behind it and your post, perhaps he will remember that , maybe i could make a plaque or something in the shadow box, referencing a random act of kindness......and in turn he can do the same perhaps somewhere down the line, and remember that as it sits on his wall one day .......

Maybe even pass on that random act of kindness on another world one day, who knows! lol

He is almost 18 and is pursuing a career path towards space flight.......

If you have any left over, please u2u me
edit on 11-1-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I don't want a patch, but this is a pretty cool thing you are doing! Have you thought of saving one and having a local raffle to raise money for a local charity? Just a thought...

You have inspired me to do more random acts of kindness, thanks.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hello All, I hope all had a great day. Mine was rained out so I settled this early, I know I said 4:00pm but I want be here at 4:00pm . Thank you all for the replies, I know all want get one and that's bumming me out. But I picked ten(10) folks to send a patch to. I tried to give these things to our local Natural Science Center & they said if it was not a full collection they were not interested.

I put them on Craigs LIst and was bombarded with spam. I offered them to the High School my kids went to and the same as before, not interested in a partial collection. So I came up with this idea and so far I'm likeing the outcome. All I ask of those that got a patch is tell the how & why you came to own it. It may spark a mind or two, who knows.

Those who did not get one, please don't let that stop you from being a kind and compassionate human towards others. I hope you all have a fun with these things and remember the how & why. I will put ten( 10) patches in a box and address the (ten) envelopes. I will randomly pick & drop in . So it's even steven across the board. would like a u2u when you get em. So I know they made it. Take care all OYM1262

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It just really breaks my heart that we are no longer going to have these amazing missions any more. There is one more patch that has been made for the "Trip" to the museum...

www.space.com...

I would have LOVED to put one of the Space Shuttles on my 5 acres... sooo,

It will be an honor to frame a special patch with an even more special meaning.

Thank you seems to fall short of what I feel to say. This means more than you know to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Thank you all for reaffirming my beleif in people. I like how this worked out. I have decided to do this all over again. Here's my plan. I used to be a hugh hockey fan, not any more. I This last labor dispute ended me being a fan. Cashed in my season tickets, got my money back. Now I know what to do with all the hockey memorabilia I have. I have posters, cards, hats, ticket stubs, A autograph from Mark Messier & Mike Richter of the 94 N.Y RAngers cup team.ETC etc etc

I'm going to give it away the same way. All of it. It's just stuff , but it's stuff that could put a very large smile on some kids face some where. Look for a new thread about it in a week or two. I need to list out what I have . I'll put this next thread in general chit-chat. So if your a hockey fan, and you like doing random acts of kindness, it coulld land you some cool stuff. Thanks to you all. OYM1262
edit on 11-1-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Sweet on the hockey stuff also! Again, I will sell everything you give me and buy toys for kids at the store with the proceeds.....I will then take pictures of the kids and post them, if you declare me the grand prize winner.....

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hello All, I mailed out the patches on Monday the 14th. All who is getting one should be there in a week or two. I had the most fun doing this. I really can't say how much. Just let me know when you all get them, and how there used. Thanks for the kind words, thanks for the enthusiasm to help others less fortunate out a bit. I think we all may have something here. We just need to keep it going.

I need to tell you all what I do each month. I am on my second marriage. I raised my two kids all by my lonesome for about 17 years. I remarried in 05 to the most wonderful woman in the world, introduced to her by my son and now step-son. Together we have 5 adult children. Between my ex-wife & her ex-husband we are owed about two hundred thousand dollars in back child support.

My wife gets zero from her ex, I am the lucky one. I get a whoppin $50 a month. Yea that was the courts idea, it was dropped from $500 a month to $ 50. So at first I just spent that little $50 each month, bullets, gas, lotto tickets, anything really. Then one day I was in the local dollar store, you know the ones where everythings a dollar. And there wasa woman who did'nt have the money for her stuff, mostly food and toiletries. There was a couple kids with her, she was embarassed and ashamed, I could see it in her eyes. It broke my damn heart. I thought " here I am in here buying damn junk as so to just spend off that $50 I get each month. And this women, irregardless of her situation is struggling in the damn dollar store for crying out loud.

I paid for every thing she had, and gave her the remaining of the $50 probally about $24 or so dollars. She and I and the cashier were at the point of tears by the time all this was done. I was asked why? I did that. I told them there was a time in my life as to where I really needed that $50 dollars, back when the kids were little and the support did not come.
But that was not the situation for me now. She needed it more than I. Her little children needed it more than I needed candles for the prep closet.

I now and have been for about the past two years, each time that littlle $50 dollars gets loaded on that little card. I make a trip to the dollar store an do a little watching. You can spot the folks who need the help. It;s not hard. I normally pick out those with children. I do the same as that first one. I'll pay for their stuff and if there's any change, they get.it.

My way of helping out. Dollar store folks know when I;m coming. I don't know how long I'll do this, I guess as long as the ex send's that "$50 each month I'lll be doing the $$$$$ store thing. Hope all you folks have a great time and experience with those patches. A physical connectionn thru cyberspace to spread the word" Just help out those who are a little less fortunate than yourself. It don't take much. OYM1262

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What a great thread!

I'm utterly fascinated by space exploration, so this is super cool!

As for my little good deed, I spent most of last year helping a homeless woman who sat outside my local off license (liquor store) sparing for change. Our relationship started through chatting, progressed to me buying little items she needed (mainly food) and finally to discovering that she had always wanted to be a secretary. She wasn't on drugs or anything, just down on her luck, so I helped her fill in an application for night classes in secretarial studies. It's free in the UK if you apply for funding.

I'll not lie, I was skeptical that she'd make use of it, but amazingly enough she did and I was delighted to follow her progress as she got the qualification. All through she was repairing her relationship with her mother, and by halfway she was sleeping there a few nights a week.

Anyhow, I'm a writer by trade, so once she was qualified I helped her write a CV and some cover letters on my laptop. I gave her an old mobile phone and some credit to make calls. It took about three months, but finally she got a job as secretary for a homeless charity in my city! That was two years ago and she's now living full time with her mum and saving to get a place of her own - the job isn't well paid sadly.

So, patch or not, I'm super pleased that my friend Angela has managed to get herself off the street. I'm not usually the sort of guy to do this sort of thing, but I could just tell from our chats that she had something about her that was destined for much better than the state she was in when we met.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

Your addition is more than welcome. I am sorry you missed out of the STS Mission Patches. I only had ten, and still wishing a had a box or two..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Aw shucks.

Still, great thread... and I'm pleased to have done a little good.

As I say, I'm not someone who does this all the time but I'll not shy away from doing similar if the person is worthy of a little proper attention.

Peace!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'd just like to update the thread a little and let other ATSers know that my son got his patch yesterday, STS - 43, it made his day.

Ive personally thanked the OP for his gesture through U2U, it was good to see such an idea on these forums, an act of kindness rewarded for an act of kindness. The world would be a better place if everyone thought like this, myself included, at times.

Thanks again OP.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thank you again
Ok had a lot of car, truck, and transport with gas problem

Also a plane

Also had a OPP police helicopter do a emergency landing (battery problem)

Also a military helicopter land got fog out

Had as many as three helicopter here at one time official government visit shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……….

Now the only thing left is ET (waiting) with my all sky camera.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

If your giving them away, and still have some. I'll bite, that would rock!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

I dont have any left, only had ten to give away. Mother in law say's she thinks she has some more and said she would let me know if she found them. You'll be at the top of the list if I get any more. But don't let that stop you from helping some one out. Next give away for me is hockey memorabilia.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
We got the patch Openourmind1262, and my daughter was really excited to see it and learn about it, plus I showed her the mission picture of the crew found by a simple Google of "nasa mission sts 38. She was amazed to learn that these astronauts fly in a real "space ship"!

She tells me her kindergarten teacher wants to see it, so she will be taking it to school with her, so her class can have a peek.. I emailed her teacher, and they they will be looking up the mission on class computers, but mostly will be learning a bit about the space program and things that NASA does..

I mentioned to her that not much info on that particular mission was available because it was a DoD mission and classified, but just getting interest in space science and NASA in general is what it's about..!!

Thanks again!!

PS. One thing about the mission surprised me was that the takeoff or payload weight on that shuttle flight was classified...perhaps it isn't so surprising if it could identify what the payload may have been.. some super heavy item like a particle beam weapon platform

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join