Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Raytheon’s second-generation exoskeleton (XOS 2)

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Raytheon’s second-generation exoskeleton (XOS 2), essentially a wearable robotics suit, has been named one of the Best Inventions of 2010 by Time Magazine. The suit was unveiled for the first time in September during an event at the company’s Salt Lake City research facility. XOS 2 is lighter, stronger and faster than its predecessor, yet it uses 50 percent less power, and its new design makes it more resistant to the environment.

The wearable robotics suit is being designed to help with the many logistics challenges faced by the military both in and out of theater. Repetitive heavy lifting can lead to injuries, orthopedic injuries in particular. The XOS 2 does the lifting for its operator, reducing both strain and exertion. It also does the work faster. One operator in an exoskeleton suit can do the work of two to three soldiers. Deploying exoskeletons would allow military personnel to be reassigned to more strategic tasks. The suit is built from a combination of structures, sensors, actuators and controllers, and it is powered by high pressure hydraulics.

Time Magazine Names the XOS 2 Exoskeleton "Most Awesomest" Invention of 2010

There are different ways of looking at how robotics and be applied to the human condition this is one of them.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's stuff like this that makes me grin. Exo-suit combined with nanotech/composite armor equals power armor! It just might happen in my lifetime.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm down with having a military entirely built around RoboCops!!!

The technology the US military (the contractors) are coming up with is sick..... Now imagine the crap 10-15 years from now..

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
this is awesome... but engineers kinda have a problem making things look good. Cant they hire a few good designers for a change?

Damn reality is awesome but so freakin ugly...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
that's not the military version.

put 2, 300 lbs mini guns on each arm, with 500-1000lbs of rounds on the back, some hi tech ultra light armour on the front to protect the body, face and legs and you got yourself robo-soldier, a one man battle tank of destruction.

now imagine a platoon of 50 them walking down the street, with another 100 regular soldiers watching their back weaving in an out, and you got yourself a walking phalanx of destruction that can wipe out thousands and level entire blocks, imagine the roman army but with this.

imagine this busting down the door to your house, imagine this clearing houses in fallujah.

the american people will never see this, if you were to see this it would be on the field of battle, in which case you'd be dead.

this weapon is a reaper of death. you can never see video of this because the only video of it would be in a battle and it would show you hell.

i also like the video that it's trying to make you believe a multi-million dollar unit would be used to load bottles of water onto a truck. a multi billion project used to make an enlisted privates life a little easier.

it don't think so. read between the lines, the military is kind enough to make you aware of what they're working on or plausibly have.

scary is, they can make this but bigger, depending on terrain and objective.

edit on 10-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Actually the technology can be applied to living on planets whose conditions are not considered habitable under current circumstances. Then there is the issue of the disabled...

In relation to Paranoia with respect to technological developments.....

edit on 10-1-2013 by Kashai because: added content

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Tell you the truth, I would want some Japanese Designers on it!! I only hope to live long enough to see Guyvers flying through the sky! Is it truly too much to ask for?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Would like to see how quickly a soldier can get out of the suit when you throw a molatov cocktail on it. Betting not fast enough to prevent being burned to death in a horrible way. Making the suit get the nickname the coffin of death or something similar. Yes I know they can make it fire retardant. it's got armor. A flame will never get through that. Tell that to a tank.

The idea is cool though.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

If one throws a Molotov cocktail at an M1 Abrams, the best thing to do is to hide , hopefully in an environment where ones heat signature does no show up, in its sensors

Otherwise...

The point would be to make a suit of armor that would stand up to a modern tank.

As a start...

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'm not a betting man - but id like to suggest this is a primitive piece of junk compared to what is actually possible with the right money.

The ONLY real issue with exoskeletons is the power supply. All that clunky, bulky design is, simply, old fashioned and FAR below that which is possible. The Armour technology exists.... the sensor tech exists.... the life support systems exist..... the computer system to run it all exists.... a form fitting exoskeleton, designed to be very similar to the human skeletal structure, using lightweight 3D printed metal parts is possible now......

I, though i cannot prove otherwise without digging (which, frankly, i do not have time to do right now), suggest that slimline, form fitting full suits of exoskeletal power Armour are totally possible RIGHT NOW - if it was not for the power supply issue.

And even that may be technically possible to get around with miniaturized nuclear reactors, high efficiency fuel cells coupled with high capacity UltraCapacitors.... To mention but 2 possibilities.

The XOS is primitive. We can do WAY better RIGHT NOW. As with all things, its about the need for it, and the money to make it properly.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadraphobe

I agree the only thing holding us back is the power source. In so far as known technology this is today, the smallest nuclear reactor. The good news is that in the sixties Modern day Radar Guns used to stop speeders were the size of refrigerators. The big deal would be the development of anti-matter technology, in which case, the fuel canister could be small enough for a drop of antimatter, and that could last more than a human lifetime.

An alternative would be in the case of quantum Teleportation technology and as well Tesla Technology could effectively play an important role today.

This in the case of transmitting energy to the unit.

phys.org...

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

HI Kashai,

Yes - their are several possibilities as i see it for power source. The physical mechanics of the suit are not the sticking point. Iron man in Form is quite possible IMO...... Its the Power source that needs addressing. I see several possibilities :

1) Miniaturized Nuclear Reactor - Fission (as fusion hasn't achieved breakeven yet) micro reactor could provide the needed power density - but the complexities of shrinking down the device to a small, portable, man wearable version are formidable. How do you protect against the radiation in such a small device with physically small distances between the active nuclear material and the user/outside world? How do you achieve a fission reaction, which requires critical mass, on a device where to date, the materials used, such a plutonium and uranium, have critical mass in a weight/size range that would make it impossible to achieve in a small device as you simply could not fit enough of the material in to achieve fission? Maybe there is some workaround i am unaware of?

2) Antimatter reactor - A Formidable challege. Generating said anti-particles away from the device, and injecting them into the device for use as a fuel is currently too energy intensive to generate the amounts needed.....Plus we have the issue of noone has been able to suspend antimatter for more than 1000 seconds using high power electromagnets...... not much use for a long-duration power-supply....... How do you effectively convert the resulting energy release (near 100% for matter/antimatter annihilation), which is mostly in the xray and infrared portion, into flowing electrons to be used to power? Solid state conversion is woefully inefficient so its not just about the power source itself - the conversion technology needs a lot of work....... a steam/stirling cycle is too old fashioned......

3) Cold Fusion/LENR - there is some evidence to support this effect is real, but no headway has been made in upping the output, commercializing the technology - let alone actually accurately explaining how it is occurring....... This technology is some way off IMO.. at least, for our uses it is.

4) High Efficiency Fuel Cell/Ultra Capacitor Setup - This could work on a 'mode' basis - im thinking that a high efficiency hydrogen fuel cell, which is able to use atmospheric moisture as its source of water, splitting it at the source - could charge high energy density capacitors and allow use of certain suit 'modes' for short periods of time, before powering the 'mode' down and fast-recharging from the fuel cell...... Think 'Crysis Nanosuit' for those of you that know the game......

Anyone have any other ideas?
edit on 15/1/13 by Quadraphobe because: Coz i felt like it

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If we could just put this kind of effort into eliminating poverty, we might not need such overpowering force. But I guess that isn't as much fun.

edit on 15-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Poverty is a necessary evil im afraid. There cannot be equality because we are not all equal.
Society has not yet evolved to the point where this can be addressed effectively.

It will continue this way for quite some time yet - and frankly, quite rightly. Evolution is a process, not a quick fix.
Its the lessons learned along the way that make such things stick - if you just jump straight to a solution, it will not last because the 'solidifying' lessons were not learnt along the way.

Welcome to the human race. Have we met?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

did you work your way through a box of tissues while typing that one handed?

the tech is cool, but getting soooo excited about it's killing potential is waaay creepy

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Love the suit and technology but makes me think how F'd up the worlds priorities are.

The Primary purpose and why the research grants were granted was obviously to assist with destruction and warfare as stated by the representative. While the side effect is that this technology if approved for the public , could one day assist disabled people.

Or assist lazy people for that matter (lol
). I could easily see hacking the system to capture my movements while cutting the lawn then creating a script to repeat the process once a week. Taking garbage out, washing cars,etc , dishes, etc. I could be the perfect Man with a few of these exoskeletons.

dream

Only wish one day that all our resources and energy that we put into killing and destruction would be put into tackling more humane issues and perhaps take us to the next level.

/dream
edit on 15-1-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join