It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of the "Influenza Like Illness (ILI)" numbers being reported.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
But seriously, if your symptoms don't go away in the next day or two, please go see a doc.

Its getting better, I fell alright, but just a nagging cough. One would think I be bullet proof with all that I got in me but no..I was the first in my family to get it...lol

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It is not grammar, it is spelling. Or in this case, the use of the wrong word altogether.

Whatever it is, it's hilarious.

Show me where "they" think it is peaking. Or are you an epidimiologist, with data coming in to tell me otherwise?
Because the data only runs through the end of December. There is no way to know what the data is this week.
And again, see my last point about data.

And confirmed cases in the last reported week had declined. Yes, it is possible that it can go back up, but right now the data suggest it is "peaking".

First off, medical professionals, unlike you, know the difference between flu, strep, and cc.

The common cold is nothing like the flu. The common cold doesn't cause pneumonia, or dehydration. Common colds very rarely cause fevers, and if they do, it is a low grade fever. The average fever for the flu is 103 degrees. Common colds don't send people to the hospital.

Strep doesn't present with nasal congestion or a cough, like the flu does. Strep is also detected with a 2 minute, in house test. A look in the throat to see it red or with white spots is indicative of strep.

If it was just a common cold, they would report it as the common cold. But they are reporting it as ILI because ILI or flu symptoms are more severe.

And you are a healthcare professional? No, you aren't, it's funny because I know exactly what you are from previous discussions on previous accounts. One thing I do know is that you are very contradictory, even when you are completely wrong.

The common cold can present like the flu, especially in the first few days. Strep can come with the high fever and sore throat which are flu symptoms.

The fact is that there are ILI and then there are confirmed influenza cases. They are not the same thing. If you go to the ER right now with any type of respiratory symptom, they are going to classify you as ILI, but only a fraction of those are actually influenza cases.

It's hilarious that you are arguing this, go read the CDC information again.

I really would love to see this data.

Since you have now said this at least 3 times, with no basis for it, you must be trying to convince yourself as much as me.

All the data is on the CDC's Flu View website. You can go see for yourself that positive influenza cases declined in their last reporting week.

You don't even know the difference between strep, cc, or the flu. AND you make up information to try to prove your point. You don't know diddly squat.

I don't?

Seriously nix, give it up, you are on one of your rants.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Sorry, Influenza is deadly. You start squirting out both ends and don't get enough fluids? You die.

Influenza is not a digestive illness and rarely involves vomiting and diarrhea. Influenza is a respiratory illness, and the deaths usually come from respiratory complications.

Absolutely you can get nausea and diarreah with the flu. It is jut not considered a main symptom.

Although nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea can sometimes accompany influenza infection, especially in children, gastrointestinal symptoms are rarely prominent.

medicinenet

Age of people who have influenza and experienced Nausea * :
0-1 2-9 10-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-59 60+
Nausea 0.00% 9.13% 20.19% 11.06% 12.02% 18.75% 12.50% 16.35%

ehealthme

And a major concern with the flu is dehydration.

You are talking about "stomach flu", which has nothing to do with influenza at all.

At least you got something right.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Celestial1

I think it is the sweet tlc that you give your family that helps them.

But the flu is a virus, not a bacterial infection, so antibacterials won't help.

BUT,

It has been proven that for some reason, homemade, and only homemade, chicken noodle soup does help colds.(they still don't know why though) So maybe your soup is having the same reaction with your loved ones.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Now go run out and get your flu shots! Huh? The majority of people who have gotten the flu already had their flu shots? Nevermind..............

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

you're first question is off-topic and can be answered at the link the OP provided, among many others.

if you're really interested, read the links i provided.

Which means you don't know.

the onion is a bacteria magnet for the lack of a better analogy.
onion juice is pure, direct and effective.
what more do you need to know ?

How exactly you think an onion is going to help the flu?

none of the hospitals here are so i'd suppose it's a regional thing at the moment.
no need to cry pandemic

You can judge world events just by what is going on at your local hospital?

What other reasons would hospitals have to have to set up their alternate triage?

Did you know Boston had to declare a public health emergency? They have a surge of cases 10 times then what it was last year.

It has already crossed the threshold into an epidemic.

41 states have widespread flu activity, 29 states are reporting moderate to severe activity. In New York alone, hospitalizations have increased 169%, flu activity alone is up 250% since last year.

Or do people have to be dying around you to be considered a problem?

ppl run to the ER for a runny nose, puhleeeez don't use that as some kind of example.
i have never seen or been treated in any ER that was 'reserved' for any special emergency ... they simply prioritize.

Again, medical professionals know the difference between the flu, and a cold. They don't report colds.

and your second point shows that you don't know what I, or even you, know what I am talking about. Special ER? lol

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

nix, it really doesn't matter what i think, it works.
if you need more, research it and get back to us

honestly, since you attack others for their form and then don't even fix your own format errors, i'm sorry dear, it's just not worth the effort.

i have very poor eyesight and your lack of consideration is noted.
if you really wish to discuss it, try making it readable, first.

ETA: since you think i don't know why onions work ... let me be perfectly clear ... i don't.

i tell ya this though, onions are beneficial to/for the respiratory system.
onions contain a variety of organic sulfur compounds and the enzyme alliinase.
they are historically known for treating asthma.
and, onion extract is unusually NON-toxic.

now, perhaps when you've learned at least as much as i already know, then we'll talk, k ??
edit on 10-1-2013 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by xedocodex

Tell that to all the people who have been infected with this year's virus! Tell them it's nothing when they couldn't shake the bug for two weeks. Tell that to the family of this MN girl who died a couple of nights ago from the flu!

2nd teen dies in MN from flu

Well considering that I've already caught it and got it through my system I can tell you first hand it sucks, but it really isn't anything ridiculous. I went to an urgent care center when I started having trouble even getting out of bed and got a Flu test and it came back negative, I was still prescribed tamiflu because I had every single symptom and it was essentially influenza... only not. So this actually makes perfect sense.

Just for the record I managed to get up to a fever of 103.7, had massive hot/cold flashes almost three days non-stop, uncontrollable shivers, I was coughing up brown not snot colored mucus but literally brown mucus.

This flu season isn't flu, it really is just a respiratory infection and the sooner people grasp that the sooner things like people dying stops happening.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I posted this link on another thread and thought it would be worth posting here. Interesting abstract about iodine and its effectiveness against the influenza virus. Any of you sick who want to be a guinea pig? Influenza: the forgotten weapon against influenza virus

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

People die from the flu every year. When the death rate increases to 10-20% that's when its starts to become a major problem. I think that's all he's trying to say.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Originally posted by Honor93
@ anyone suffering symptoms ... use some onion and be well.

That's funny ..I will make sure to relay that one at work tomorrow... I bet it will make the many sick people feel better..
edit on 10-1-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

WELL my mum swears by hunny lemon and onion boiled up in water and added to a hot toddy

i use a lot of garlic (onion family)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Originally posted by Rezlooper

Tell that to all the people who have been infected with this year's virus! Tell them it's nothing when they couldn't shake the bug for two weeks. Tell that to the family of this MN girl who died a couple of nights ago from the flu!

2nd teen dies in MN from flu

Well considering that I've already caught it and got it through my system I can tell you first hand it sucks, but it really isn't anything ridiculous. I went to an urgent care center when I started having trouble even getting out of bed and got a Flu test and it came back negative, I was still prescribed tamiflu because I had every single symptom and it was essentially influenza... only not. So this actually makes perfect sense.

Just for the record I managed to get up to a fever of 103.7, had massive hot/cold flashes almost three days non-stop, uncontrollable shivers, I was coughing up brown not snot colored mucus but literally brown mucus.

This flu season isn't flu, it really is just a respiratory infection and the sooner people grasp that the sooner things like people dying stops happening.

I had the exact same symptoms. I got sick Sunday night and went to my Doctor Monday morning. I told them I thought I had the flu. They tested me with a nasal swab and the test came back negative. My Doctor seemed a little perplexed and was wondering how I got it. She prescribed me Cephalexin and that seemed to do the job.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Just 30 min ago here at work this 22 year old girl all of a sudden became extremely pale and nauseous. The freaking weather here is 50s and raining here in Ohio. Ahhhh

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Absolutely you can get nausea and diarreah with the flu. It is jut not considered a main symptom.

I know you are hell bent on just wanting to contradict every single thing I say, because this is what you do, but go back I read what I said. I said it is rarely a symptom, because it is rarely a symptom. Your link says "sometimes", I said rarely.

Vomiting and Diarreah is more of a side effect in young children with the flue due to the mucus building up in the stomach or just gagging themselves from coughing. It's a respiratory illness, not a digestive illness.

You are starting to really make yourself look bad, you are now just repeating what I say, replacing a word with a synonym, and saying I'm wrong.

Plenty of examples in this thread now of exactly what I'm talking about, get sick, go to the doctor, tested for flu (so considered an ILI), test negative. So they are reported to the CDC as an ILI with a negative test. This isn't that hard to understand.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Now why do you think hospitals are being packed when influenza cases are actually declining? Maybe it is because the media is hyping it?

Sorry, I did my research, looks like you didn't.

Or in my case I don't believe hospitals are being packed, I know they are because I see it every day.
The majority of cases in the ED are flu or flu like symptoms.

edit on 10-1-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

Yes, hosptials are being filled...I just said that.

But according to the CDC, only 31% of the ILI cases (suspected influenza) are actually testing positive for influenza.

But people are flooding the hospitals because the media is getting them so hyped up about influenza, so someone gets a cough and a fever and instead of drinking some tea and getting some rest, they are running to the hospital.

This years influenza is worse than last year, it hit earlier than normal, it isn't worse than 2009 or 2010 season, and there isn't a significant increase in deaths compared to those seasons.

If you work in a hospital, why don't you go get the information from there. Out of all the ILI cases coming in, how many are actually testing positive for influenza.

The local news had a report that one reason hospitals are filling up is because they're telling people to go to the hospital instead of the Doctor NOT because it's so much more serious, but because A) there are less people in the ER versus practitioner's officer, which are packed with people, and people can get seen and treated more easily.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Tomorrow will be day four of some cruddy virus I have. flu or flu like illness, I don't care. I just want it to go away. I haven't been hit this hard in years. Just when I feel like I'm gonna get better, I go back down. Whatever this is is horrible!
I really feel for anyone getting it this go round.

I did get a flu shot this year. So either I caught something not in the vaccine, or I was gonna get even sicker and I'm just feeling a little less than I would have. And that thought scares me beacause this already feels terrible.
edit on 10-1-2013 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

I've been hearing, from a nurse no doubt, that the predominant strain of flu this year is entirely different from what is in the vaccines. That isn't to say that previous strains still aren't around this year, though.

That might have something to do with why you're sick after getting a flu shot; or, you could be one of those unfortunates who just happened to get sick despite--or because of--getting a flu shot. :/

Regardless, i hope you feel better.

I hope you all feel better.

Go-go garlic, red pepper, and onion!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying..but one important thing you need to take into consideration is that Drs offices
are not given these test kits by the states/gv.
Only walk-in clinics etc..are being given the test for onsite indentification of whether it is in fact the flu.
if you ask you primary care physician they will send you for lab work which only prolongs getting treated
So I opted to be treated on the spot and not wait around for results..I'm thinking this is what many are doing....Accurate numbers could actually be what's being stated..or maybe less...My point is that there is not a system in place that will give the true numbers....
edit on 11-1-2013 by wutz4tom because: clarity

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Guys don't forget the fact that the current Vaccine is about 62% effective...

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I agree. The media do hype up the flu and also the scaremongering in order to get people vaccinated.
I would like to see the actual figures of the people who were given the vaccines and then went on to get the flu or die. Also, the figures of the people who never got the vaccines and either did or did not suffer with the flu??.....Can a blog be started?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Honestly from an observational standpoint this is the WORST sickness season I have ever seen in my LIFE and i'm in a location where it is supposedly according to the CDC pretty "normal" this year.

2 people I know in my complex alone have been hospitalized.

BUT

I think advice to run to HOSPITAL is useless

Whatever the nature of the virus is I doubt there is squat that can be done about it that a person can't do themselves unless of course they are eldery or young

I got it 3 weeks before the holidays... I am FINALLY mostly better now...

The Sinus end wouldn't go away forever...

Humidifier.... Vapor rub.... Sinus meds over the counter... EXERCISE (believe it or not)... Aspirin... Chicken Soup, lots of garlic i it Turmeric (Inflamation can kill you) it helps, Cayenne pepper open it all up... High doses vitamin C, Regular showers (they help detox reduce fever) time in bed sweat it out, Kimchi works wonders for some reason on the flu...lower carbs, D3, Astragalus root, concious breathing...oxygenate yourself, water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar here or there....

Attack it be healthy not much else you can do...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join