It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware of the "Influenza Like Illness (ILI)" numbers being reported.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

If anything I think the media is downplaying it. There was a lot more media coverage in 2009 when we had the swine flu scare that turned out to be nothing. Now we actually have something where healthy teenagers are dying, and we don't have a lot of coverage of that.

And if you go to the CDC link I posted, you will see that the 2009 season had many more cases of confirmed influenza than this year.

You can also see there were many more pediatric deaths in 2009, many more, than there are this year.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Please tell me, what different forms of vaccine are there?
And what is an onion supposed to do?

And when hospitals are now starting to set out their alternate triage systems due to being overwhelmed, that is usually reserved for major emergencies, is anything being overinflated?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

It should not be carrying on for 10 days. Please get checked by a doc to make sure it hasn't turned into pneumonia!

What on this earth are you getting 8 shots in a month for?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It is "peaking" not peeking.

This pretty much sums up how all the wannabe conspiracy theorists have no clue what they are talking about and don't bother to do any research on a topic before posting it, to garner attention.

The flu season started a full month early, and the cases are DOUBLE of what they were this time last year, and no, the season hasn't even peaked yet.

So no, the numbers are not hyped up.

Whether the illnesses are actually the flu or not is neither here nor there. They cause problems for vulnerable populations, they cause a great loss in productivity, and clog up the hospitals.

And the hospitals are getting overwhelmed.

The methods to try to keep from getting the flu are the same for any ili.

Are you seriously grammer nazi'ing? How 1990ish.

And yes, the numbers are hyped up. Currently this year is no worse than the 07-08 season and way below the 09-10 (H1N1) season. And yes, they do think it is "peaking" because last weeks reported confirmed positive flu cases were down from the previous week.

And it does matter if it is influenza or not. Do you realize how close the common cold and strep throat symptoms can be to influenza? Do you know how much more serious influenza is compared to other "influenza like illnesses"? And do you know that the percentages of confirmed influenza is declining while hospital admissions for "ILI" (even though they aren't influenza) are on the rise?

Now why do you think hospitals are being packed when influenza cases are actually declining? Maybe it is because the media is hyping it?

Sorry, I did my research, looks like you didn't.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

It should not be carrying on for 10 days. Please get checked by a doc to make sure it hasn't turned into pneumonia!

What on this earth are you getting 8 shots in a month for?

Well when you go to really nasty places in Afghanistan...you get shots...I was a little behind in them since I haven't been there in 2 years.

Hell 3 were for rabies...hehe
edit on 10-1-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Sorry, Influenza is deadly. You start squirting out both ends and don't get enough fluids? You die.

Influenza is not a digestive illness and rarely involves vomiting and diarrhea. Influenza is a respiratory illness, and the deaths usually come from respiratory complications.

You are talking about "stomach flu", which has nothing to do with influenza at all.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

Now why do you think hospitals are being packed when influenza cases are actually declining? Maybe it is because the media is hyping it?

Or in my case I don't believe hospitals are being packed, I know they are because I see it every day.
The majority of cases in the ED are flu or flu like symptoms.

edit on 10-1-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Onions are a natural antibiotic. When someone in my house is sick with cold or flu like symptoms I make a soup with onion, garlic, basil and water. All have natural antibiotic properties. Within minutes of eating/drinking the soup they will begin sweating, fever breaks, congestion begins to clear and they are feeling better. It works EVERY time without fail and we are NEVER sick for more than a day or two.

I also believe that because I serve my family onion and garlic every day in some form or another it keeps us from getting sick most of the time. I'm an elementary school teacher and around the sweet little sick ones constantly with all the sneezing and snot that comes with sickness. Since I started eating this way I do not get sick every time my students do anymore. Someone asked me if I thought it just may be that my immune system has built up enough so I stopped eating so much of the onions and garlic and yep sure enough I started getting sick all the time again. I swear by my all natural remedy!
edit on 10-1-2013 by Celestial1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by xedocodex

Basically what they are saying is that it is possible unconfirmed cases of the flu. Tamiflu and Relenza only work at symptom onset. so if someone has had it for a few days, they are not going to waste money to confirm if it is the flu because there is nothing they can do at that point if they can't treat it.

No, that is not at all what they are saying. And from my experience, you don't get Tamiflu or Relenza unless you have a positive flu test. Flu tests are simple, fast, and cheap...not sure where the wasting money comes into it.

ILI are patients that present with respiratory symptoms that are suspected possible influenza. This isn't opinion, you can go read it for yourself on the CDC website.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Originally posted by Honor93
@ anyone suffering symptoms ... use some onion and be well.

That's funny ..I will make sure to relay that one at work tomorrow... I bet it will make the many sick people feel better..

are you being funny or just unaware ??

for your benefit (and theirs) ... learn something today and share tomorrow

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i offered valid, useful advice (experienced user), it's your choice what you do with it.
this is common knowledge and those separate threads are just from this site ... search is your friend. either way, i wish you well.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Celestial1

Agree with you totally!

Get ready for that know it all to tell you it's a hoax.

We know better!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Or in my case I don't believe hospitals are being packed, I know they are because I see it every day.
The majority of cases in the ED are flu or flu like symptoms.

Yes, hosptials are being filled...I just said that.

But according to the CDC, only 31% of the ILI cases (suspected influenza) are actually testing positive for influenza.

But people are flooding the hospitals because the media is getting them so hyped up about influenza, so someone gets a cough and a fever and instead of drinking some tea and getting some rest, they are running to the hospital.

This years influenza is worse than last year, it hit earlier than normal, it isn't worse than 2009 or 2010 season, and there isn't a significant increase in deaths compared to those seasons.

If you work in a hospital, why don't you go get the information from there. Out of all the ILI cases coming in, how many are actually testing positive for influenza.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Celestial1

Onions are a natural antibiotic. When someone in my house is sick with cold or flu like symptoms I make a soup with onion, garlic, basil and water. All have natural antibiotic properties.

I'm not saying your soup doesn't help with making people feeling better, but antibiotic properties will have no effect on influenza or the common cold because those are viruses.

I think food remedies do work, but you should stop calling them antibiotic because it just gives fuel to people who want to ridicule non-pharmalogical remedies.
edit on 10-1-2013 by xedocodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

you're first question is off-topic and can be answered at the link the OP provided, among many others.

if you're really interested, read the links i provided.
the onion is a bacteria magnet for the lack of a better analogy.
onion juice is pure, direct and effective.
what more do you need to know ?

none of the hospitals here are so i'd suppose it's a regional thing at the moment.
no need to cry pandemic

ppl run to the ER for a runny nose, puhleeeez don't use that as some kind of example.
i have never seen or been treated in any ER that was 'reserved' for any special emergency ... they simply prioritize.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I wouldn't know anything new about searching , I just stumbled across google.

I was also being snarky in my reply about your onions.
Their are many home remedies out there and onions are one of them.
I am also glad you are an experienced user of ATS.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

yes, i got your 'snarky' tone ... however, we try to look beyond such silliness here.

since you are a noob, i thought i'd try to help ... and i wasn't referring to google, either.
at the top of this page (right side on my view), do you see the "search" option ???
it really can be your friend around here

this topic (onions as flu/cold remedy) has been discussed many times over the years and some of us old farts try to help you new farts figure out the facts for yourselves.

thanks for the response, hopefully you'll enjoy your time here and learn lots ... it's a rather deeeep vortex of information and seriously, be well

edit on 10-1-2013 by Honor93 because: add txt

ps ... it just dawned on me that you might think the "experienced user" comment was regarding ATS ???

if so, thanks but that wasn't the intent

experienced user = i have used the onion remedy successfully many times.
i will not receive flu vax of any kind - 1st and only produced GBS for me
the last flu i can remember enduring was several years ago. (2005 maybe)
anyway, onions and garlic have been proven to work by those using it and that's good enough for me. (no scientific babble necessary)
edit on 10-1-2013 by Honor93 because: add ps

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

It is "peaking" not peeking.

This pretty much sums up how all the wannabe conspiracy theorists have no clue what they are talking about and don't bother to do any research on a topic before posting it, to garner attention.

The flu season started a full month early, and the cases are DOUBLE of what they were this time last year, and no, the season hasn't even peaked yet.

So no, the numbers are not hyped up.

Whether the illnesses are actually the flu or not is neither here nor there. They cause problems for vulnerable populations, they cause a great loss in productivity, and clog up the hospitals.

And the hospitals are getting overwhelmed.

The methods to try to keep from getting the flu are the same for any ili.

Are you seriously grammer nazi'ing? How 1990ish.

It is not grammar, it is spelling. Or in this case, the use of the wrong word altogether.

And yes, the numbers are hyped up. Currently this year is no worse than the 07-08 season and way below the 09-10 (H1N1) season.

First, just because it isn't the worst flu season, doesn't mean it isn't a bad flu season. No one is reporting it is the worst flu season, just a particularly bad one.

It doesn't mean that data is being hyped up because it doesn't compare to a few years ago. That is a huge jump in reasoning. But that is neither here nor there.

Secondly, all data isn't in yet. The very first line on the CDC page:

All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.

There is no way that they have full reporting in real time. You won't get the full numbers until the end of the flu season, or even the summer.

And yes, they do think it is "peaking" because last weeks reported confirmed positive flu cases were down from the previous week.

Show me where "they" think it is peaking. Or are you an epidimiologist, with data coming in to tell me otherwise?
Because the data only runs through the end of December. There is no way to know what the data is this week.
And again, see my last point about data.

And it does matter if it is influenza or not. Do you realize how close the common cold and strep throat symptoms can be to influenza?

First off, medical professionals, unlike you, know the difference between flu, strep, and cc.

The common cold is nothing like the flu. The common cold doesn't cause pneumonia, or dehydration. Common colds very rarely cause fevers, and if they do, it is a low grade fever. The average fever for the flu is 103 degrees. Common colds don't send people to the hospital.

Strep doesn't present with nasal congestion or a cough, like the flu does. Strep is also detected with a 2 minute, in house test. A look in the throat to see it red or with white spots is indicative of strep.

If it was just a common cold, they would report it as the common cold. But they are reporting it as ILI because ILI or flu symptoms are more severe.

Do you know how much more serious influenza is compared to other "influenza like illnesses"? And do you know that the percentages of confirmed influenza is declining while hospital admissions for "ILI" (even though they aren't influenza) are on the rise?

That must be a really magical 8 ball you have there that it can give you all of this weeks numbers, instantly.
What the heck is the CDC worried about then? Nothing to see here folks, it is all fine.

I really would love to see this data.

Since you have now said this at least 3 times, with no basis for it, you must be trying to convince yourself as much as me.

I did my research, looks like you didn't.

You don't even know the difference between strep, cc, or the flu. AND you make up information to try to prove your point. You don't know diddly squat.
edit on 10-1-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

Im sorry to hear how bad you're feeling.I take 2grams of vitaminC every day,every adult should.I don't get the flu much,last had it when i was a child,since then its been heavy colds at most-at such a time,i will take 2grams of vitaC twice a day.Its also wise to eat 3 cloves of garlic a day,i find fresh to be best,and eat parsley with it,or garlic+parsley pills if you don't like it raw.I do hope you feel better really soon.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

*laughs* I have had my rabies shots too. I threw the American Red Cross for a loop when I went to donate blood and told them I had rabies shots. tee hee

Have fun with it. Most people think you only get them for exposure.

I think I have read that rabies is up for Afghanistan, that is probably why they had you get them.

But seriously, if your symptoms don't go away in the next day or two, please go see a doc.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   

my, my, it sure is a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word
[Andrew Jackson]
thanks for the chuckle, you're funny

you say they don't have reporting in real time, yet, it must be bad cause the hospitals are busy
... where's the logic, the numbers or the evidence it's even influenza ?

nah, that'd be asking way too much, nvm.
here's a relevant question --> what makes you think the confirmed cases of influenza are any greater than what is being reported currently ??

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join