It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion keeping others in a box?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Believe in him, because you will believe what he tells you about how to make it back home.

So, what did Jesus tell us to believe and what did he tell us we needed to do to make it home?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by logical7

i see it in the same category as Nation of Islam.

You do?

So, okay, why does the "Nation of Islam" not promote and accept the peaceful "unity of all"?

The Nation of Islam (NOI) is a syncretic new religious movement founded in Detroit, Michigan by Wallace D. Fard Muhammad in July 1930. The Nation of Islam's stated
goals are to improve the spiritual,
mental, social, and economic condition
of African Americans in the United States and all of humanity. Its critics accuse it of being black supremacist and antisemitic

it has nothing to do with Islam.
Islam on the other hand actually promote "Unity"
but for people to unite, they need a unifying factor, how do you propose to "unite all" by creating faction, sects, personal religion?
What is the one common denominator that can unite all?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

how do you propose to "unite all" by creating faction, sects, personal religion?

OMG!! You're starting to get it!!

The one common denominator is "WE DON'T KNOW", and we should all "CARE FOR ONE ANOTHER"!!!!

The one common denominator is that we are ALL HUMAN. We ALL laugh, cry, smile, frown, mourn, celebrate.......no matter what country, what language, what circumstances......

We need to "unite" around that! And want the smiles and laughter for our neighbors and fellow inhabitants of Earth....rather than judging, condemning, threatening, coercing, bullying, gainsaying, naysaying, and HATING others.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

So, you dismiss it as "anyone" and therefore not worthy of attention? The "founder" is considered the "last prophet", and he was .... let me think......centuries LATER than Mohammed.... why is "his" religion and ideas only worthy of being discarded and dismissed? Because he's "the new guy"?

if the membership depends on the colour of skin then its not difficult to dismiss. And the founder's own son and MalcolmnX left it to become muslims also raises enough doubts.
A simple test is to find the character of the founder.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

if the membership depends on the colour of skin then its not difficult to dismiss

What???

What does the color of skin have to do with the Baha'i faith?
Have you ever visited one of their temples? I have. I spent some time in the temple, and then in the 'visitor's center' and bookstore......

I saw NOTHING that delineated what "skin color" or "heritage" made one 'acceptable'. I might have "signed up" right then and there, except that they said "only members may donate and contribute"......

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

how do you propose to "unite all" by creating faction, sects, personal religion?

The one common denominator is "WE DON'T KNOW", and we should all "CARE FOR ONE ANOTHER"!!!!

The one common denominator is that we are ALL HUMAN. We ALL laugh, cry, smile, frown, mourn, celebrate.......no matter what country, what language, what circumstances......

We need to "unite" around that! And want the smiles and laughter for our neighbors and fellow inhabitants of Earth....rather than judging, condemning, threatening, coercing, bullying, gainsaying, naysaying, and HATING others.

hahaha!! Yes!!! Finally i got it!
Although i always knew it

i see similarities in almost all religions.
But what you suggest is not easy to achieve and if you look closely, all religions try to reach that, its not world dominance or conquering everyone, its basically reaching a state of an understanding that you mention above through the idea that we have One Creator.
And the power hungry opportunists twist it and power hungry fools go for it.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

if the membership depends on the colour of skin then its not difficult to dismiss

What???

What does the color of skin have to do with the Baha'i faith?
Have you ever visited one of their temples? I have. I spent some time in the temple, and then in the 'visitor's center' and bookstore......

I saw NOTHING that delineated what "skin color" or "heritage" made one 'acceptable'. I might have "signed up" right then and there, except that they said "only members may donate and contribute"......

oh, i was talking about "nation of islam" it also claimed to have their own 'prophet'.
And Baha'i faith has a similar claim.
They were an offshoot of islam and have almost a lot of teachings borrowed from it but are persecuted as they contradict the belief that Prophet Muhammad pbuh is the final messenger. Hence they get refuge in USA and European countries.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

they contradict the belief that Prophet Muhammad pbuh is the final messenger.

But,
what if he was NOT the final messenger?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

they contradict the belief that Prophet Muhammad pbuh is the final messenger.

But,
what if he was NOT the final messenger?

what if baha'iullah was a fraud? Is there a scarcity of people claiming prophethood?
People in india accept claims of men being god easily but doesnt mean that God really incarnated. And some actually have good teaching. Dont know if you know 'Osho.'
and i am surprised that you wanted to "sign up" do you actually believe in messengers now?!
Also look at this

The first duty prescribed by God for His servants is the recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of His Revelation and the Fountain of His laws, Who representeth the Godhead in both the Kingdom of His Cause and the world of creation. Whoso achieveth this duty hath attained unto all good; and whoso is deprived thereof hath gone astray, though he be the author of every righteous deed.
(Baha'u'llah: The Kitab-i-Aqdas, P.
19)

more desire to be recognised??
edit on 12-1-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

do you actually believe in messengers now?!

No. I believe in ideologies. The Baha'i faith excludes NO ONE. They don't judge (from what I could tell), they believe that everyone is endowed with the Holy Spirit.

If tomorrow I got online and discovered there was a "new" religion that encompasses ALL TEACHINGS (wait -- there IS! It's called "New Age" thinking!)
and brings out the best in them all,
well,
there I will be.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I couldn't AGREE with you more!! We as a human race ALL 7 Billion of us have much more in common than we don't. Each one of can have a say in this world if we promote goodness and love and deny HATE. What a dispicable word and feeling that is. It's one action at a time, and it's never to late to start!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

what if baha'iullah was a fraud? Is there a scarcity of people claiming prophethood?

Really?

What if "Jesus" or "Muhammed" or "Moses" or any ONE of them was a fraud?
Who decides?

Why must people claim "he was the last, the most righteous, the only, the one!"
New people are born EVERY DAY.

The Dalai Lama is a fantastic LIVING example.....
he teaches peace, love, tolerance, and accepts SCIENCE as a natural phenomenon of humanity.

What are your objections to the Dalai Lama, log7?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
It is very evident on here and elsewhere that when something is different than what you are taught, or is not specifically stated in the Bible, or other religious texts, others will assume it is the work of Satan.

Did God only want man to gain knowledge from the bible and not other areas of life?

*I speak of organized religion, not personal religion.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the thread and a very good question. My answer is a resounding NO. I believe God gave us so many wonderful things, one of them a brain to use. Seeking knowledge, learning, exploring I believe are all innate qualities of the human existence. I feel that part of that existence is to learn about/from others. That doesn't mean accepting everything, but learning and becoming more clear about what YOU truly believe in and the WHY you do.

Alot of people because of ignorance, laziness, close-mindedness just refuse to investigate the many diverse cultural aspects that are beyond their own front doors. Obviously, I think this stunts ones' intelligence and acceptance of others with the love and care that God wants us live our lives. I could go on and on, and I am not putting down those who shelter themselves, but I do wish they would open the door and go out for a walk once in awhile.......alot to see and experience!!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

do you actually believe in messengers now?!

No. I believe in ideologies. The Baha'i faith excludes NO ONE. They don't judge (from what I could tell), they believe that everyone is endowed with the Holy Spirit.

If tomorrow I got online and discovered there was a "new" religion that encompasses ALL TEACHINGS (wait -- there IS! It's called "New Age" thinking!)
and brings out the best in them all,
well,
there I will be.

a "new" faith that encompasses ALL teachings is impossible as it cant contain contradicting ideas in it. Yes it can welcome everyone "bait" and then propose a "new" belief "switch"
if a religion has to have a specific ideology, it would have to eliminate each contradiction but lose followers at each elimination. And again it fails,
so an all emcompassing religion has to compromise on ideology.
Its as good as saying "come to us, do what you want, believe what you feel!!" and everyone goes Yay!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

a "new" faith that encompasses ALL teachings is impossible as it cant contain contradicting ideas in it.

I
COMPLETELY
DISAGREE

EDIT: (to rant)
"impossible"?
"can't"?

What about the common denominator idea?

There is a kernel of TRUTH in ALL teachings. Why is it impossible to put them all in the same pot, stew up a 'syncretic' idea that EVERYONE can agree with???????

edit on 12-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Really?

What if "Jesus" or "Muhammed" or "Moses" or any ONE of them was a fraud?
Who decides?

Why must people claim "he was the last, the most righteous, the only, the one!"
New people are born EVERY DAY.

The Dalai Lama is a fantastic LIVING example.....
he teaches peace, love, tolerance, and accepts SCIENCE as a natural phenomenon of humanity.

What are your objections to the Dalai Lama, log7?

no objections, but Dalai Lama also dint claim prophethood or divinity.
I like his teachings too.
If you mean that its fine to try to follow any good human being's teachings, i have no objections. But why to only limit myself to baha'i or Dalai Lama? Why not take what they all have to say. But the problem is many opposing ideas, so i'l have to filter out the common ones.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

a "new" faith that encompasses ALL teachings is impossible as it cant contain contradicting ideas in it.

I
COMPLETELY
DISAGREE

"impossible"?
"can't"?

There is a kernel of TRUTH in ALL teachings. Why is it impossible to put them all in the same pot, stew up a 'syncretic' idea that EVERYONE can agree with???????

lets just put two in the pot, christianity and islam and apply heat!
Now Jesus pbuh is god or not? If not then the belief turns very close to islamic monotheism.
Will it be accepted by all?

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I like living in a box, wish I could return back there but I seem to have lost my box. I keep seeing solar pictures and their pixels and wonder if that is my box. How nice it would be to go back into that box and live, not seeing everything that is happening. It was nice just living a life without any advanced knowledge of things from studying what was evolving in the world. Most people live in this bliss, trouble is this bliss comes with a cost. We wind up giving all our money back to the system in the end and our kids never get ahead.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Why not take what they all have to say. But the problem is many opposing ideas, so i'l have to filter out the common ones.

Exactly!!!!!

Yes, it takes study, and work, and effort.
Finding the "common ones" is the trick.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by logical7

I
COMPLETELY
DISAGREE

"impossible"?
"can't"?

lets just put two in the pot, christianity and islam and apply heat!
Now Jesus pbuh is god or not? If not then the belief turns very close to islamic monotheism.
Will it be accepted by all?

I understand your overall point! Its probably not very plausible to think EVERYONE will endorse/believe in one way of teaching. However, I do believe that no time in mans history have we been more connected and hence more of an opportunity.

Let's try to AGREE on the things we can......such as "what's so funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding ~ love Elvis Costello. Just had to throw that in. LOL

Peace!! ID

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join