It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celina man made 'terroristic' threats at school, police say [Texas]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A parent of elementary school in Celana TX decided to check if his child is safe, and now is being held in lieu of a $75,000 bond and charged with a third degree felony.

Celina man made 'terroristic' threats at school

At 7:50 a.m. on Wednesday, Miller entered Celina Elementary School and "conducted his own drill to test the school's response to an active shooter situation," according to Sgt. Shea Scott with Celina police.

This article doesn't say what threats he made, but one of the reader comments say this....

A parent in Celina ISD has been charged with making terroristic threats at his child's school. Police say Ron Miller, who was unarmed, told Celina Elementary School staffers that he had a gun to test the school's security response on Wednesday morning. "Basically, he told one of the greeters, 'I am a gunman. My target is inside of the building. I'm going in the building. You stop me,'" said Celina Independent School District superintendent Donny O'Dell. "They recognized, at that point, that he did not have a weapon and they were able to go ahead and tell him to leave." The principal at the school called administrators, who then called police. O'Dell said they did not use 911, but called the department's non-emergency number. The superintendent said it was because the man was "immediately" recognized as a parent and volunteer. "After he left, there was no imminent threat for a lockdown and for teachers and kiddos to be locked in the classrooms," O'Dell said. " We found some glitches … some things we need to work on. Of course, none of this ever takes place when you expect it to, so human response to certain situations is not always perfect because we're not perfect."

Seems like the Police really over reacted.
edit on 10-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added state to title

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
so some guy pretended to be a gunman?

His stupid a** is lucky he wasnt shot.

I think it is a bit over the top but at the same time this man was 1. disruptive (imagine if it was ok for parents to just come by and make pretend threats. It would happen all the time and no one would take them seriously) and 2. He was striking "terror" into people. I mean just think if one of them had heart issues and some jackass came and screamed "I have a gun".

Like i said though its over the top but he earned some sort of punishment for being a fool. He should just have to do community service or something though and only get a misdemeanor

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
One nut-job parent takes it under his own steam to perform security tests on an unsuspecting school.

How about I conduct a test on the security of Area 51?

I'm not in the US military, but as a concerned Earthican(Futurama), I believe it is my duty to ensure that US weapons can't be stolen and used against me.

I'm sure the DoD would love that.

edit on 10/1/2013 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Superhero syndrome.. it's been going around quite a bit lately.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Very true. Just imagine if he was shot (this is Texas you know). That would do more damage to the second amendment than Alex Jones could ever do.

Silly Mr. Miller.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be stated:

What the parent did was correct and incorrect and here is the reason for such:

As a parent, with all of the different school shootings and the endangerment to the children, it would be a good idea for most school districts to have plans in place and to let the parents know of those plans. To include from natural diseaster, to illness, and even school shootings. With most schools supposed to be gun free zones, they are showing to be likely targets for any nut job that is wanting to make a statement or even, as some would suggest, a false flag.

Most parents want to know that the school that they send their child to is going to be a safe environment. That is not out of the ordinary or wrong to ask and expect.

However, this guy did not go about this the correct way, rather showing that his lack of judgement is not all there. He showed that he was a potential threat, his statement, (According to the article) and one that the school had to deal with, by handing it over to the proper authorities. He, as a poster pointed out, is very lucky he did not get shot for his actions.

And the parents who were not amused at his actions of that of the districts have every right to be upset and concerned. This could have been a viable threat on the part of this person.

Now as far as his punishment, it will be up to the courts to decide, and ultimately they will look at all factors, lawyers will argue back and forth. While he may not get the initial charge that is being put on him, however, it could be this is the going to go through, plea deals made and ultimately he see some form of punishment on his end.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Did someone edit the title of this thread to add [Texas]?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Over reacted how? No seriously, he could have gotten shot. This is akin to shouting "fire" in a crowded room, someone could have gotten killed.

The guy is a total idiot. Possibly in need of some time on the couch.

Originally posted by whatsecret
A parent of elementary school in Celana TX decided to check if his child is safe, and now is being held in lieu of a $75,000 bond and charged with a third degree felony.

Celina man made 'terroristic' threats at school

At 7:50 a.m. on Wednesday, Miller entered Celina Elementary School and "conducted his own drill to test the school's response to an active shooter situation," according to Sgt. Shea Scott with Celina police.

This article doesn't say what threats he made, but one of the reader comments say this....

A parent in Celina ISD has been charged with making terroristic threats at his child's school. Police say Ron Miller, who was unarmed, told Celina Elementary School staffers that he had a gun to test the school's security response on Wednesday morning. "Basically, he told one of the greeters, 'I am a gunman. My target is inside of the building. I'm going in the building. You stop me,'" said Celina Independent School District superintendent Donny O'Dell. "They recognized, at that point, that he did not have a weapon and they were able to go ahead and tell him to leave." The principal at the school called administrators, who then called police. O'Dell said they did not use 911, but called the department's non-emergency number. The superintendent said it was because the man was "immediately" recognized as a parent and volunteer. "After he left, there was no imminent threat for a lockdown and for teachers and kiddos to be locked in the classrooms," O'Dell said. " We found some glitches … some things we need to work on. Of course, none of this ever takes place when you expect it to, so human response to certain situations is not always perfect because we're not perfect."

Seems like the Police really over reacted.
edit on 10-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jan 11 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added state to title

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow, the police and schools finally stop a school shooting.

The local government sure feel really good and pat themselves on the back.

Good thing the man wasn't actually armed and planing on a shooting.

ETA: I know, it was just a glitch.
edit on 1/13/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

Over reacted how? No seriously, he could have gotten shot. This is akin to shouting "fire" in a crowded room, someone could have gotten killed. The guy is a total idiot. Possibly in need of some time on the couch.

What he did was foolish but the school staff did not see him as a threat since he was a volunteer at that school and a parent of a student there. He could have gotten himself and others hurt, but the fact is that he only wanted to help and no one did get hurt. Felony charge and a $75,000 bond is a over reaction in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

Sorry but it was stupid, and what do you propose, a slap on the wrist? I can understand being worried, but what next, arm your kids? Nope he deserves this.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think it was a VERY bad move on the parents part.
What he should have done, was went to the school board and requested to do this drill with cooperation of law enforcement and ems, then he wouldn't have gotten in trouble
I participated in a drill very SIMILIAR to this here in NC, my airsoft team and I were the hostage takers, and this involved SWAT and EMS from the county and surrounding counties.
This was back in 2009 I think, was a good drill for the GSA
The parent had the best intentions, but applied it wrongly

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I participated in a drill very SIMILIAR to this here in NC, my airsoft team and I were the hostage takers,

For some reason I find this really funny.

It might lead to the airsoft bans.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Difference is Drill (so I am guessing official) vs lone wolf who has a wilde hare (or is it hair?) up somewhere?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Very true. Just imagine if he was shot (this is Texas you know). That would do more damage to the second amendment than Alex Jones could ever do.

Silly Mr. Miller.

People in Texas are extremely responsible with firearms. I would fear a police officer in NYC or California with a gun making an error in judgment before I would fear a responsible gun owning citizen in Texas. You wouldn't understand this unless you lived in Texas and in NY and California as I have.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinden

Sorry but it was stupid, and what do you propose, a slap on the wrist? I can understand being worried, but what next, arm your kids? Nope he deserves this.

It was very stupid indeed. He is a firefighter and a paramedic, getting a felony on his record means loosing his job. Coming up with $75k for a bond on a Paramedics salary is virtually impossible. So what happened here is a man getting attacked emotionally, financially and possibly getting physically assaulted in jail. He has no prior criminal record, he lost his teenage daughter to cancer last year or two years a go.

Personally I think this experience could make a very unstable individual out of a regular guy who did something stupid but caused no harm to anybody.

I think it would be appropriate to run a background check and interview him to see what he was thinking. If they must punish him, some community service seems reasonable.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

He was obiously not that stable to have done this. He might get a plea deal, or reduced charges. But in the end, one can't ignore the law. Someone with a slick lawyer would use HIM as an excuse to let their client off. It returns to, if you do the crime (and he did) you do the time.

I'd have more sympathy if he'd thought this through.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

It returns to, if you do the crime (and he did) you do the time.

What was the crime that he did? As far as I know he wanted to help the school with a response plan and left them his contact information if they wanted his help. The way he did it was extremely stupid, the staff at the school didn't report it as a threat it was the police that said he made 'terroristic' threats.
edit on 13-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
His main crime is stupidity. I don't believe the school ASKED for his help, and he certainly did not warn them well in advance. He made claims ("I'm a gun man stop me") in a climate which makes that very VERY foolish. Chances are he will get some help, and a boot in the bum. However I KNOW most schools are on the edge, and might just react. Given the last shooter was known to the school.

I might be a little less tolerant than others as (a) I'm a permanent resident not a citzen, and understand consequences and (b) Work in an industry where we actually DO have to worry about terrorists (chemical manufacturing, mainly pharmaceuticals). We get to train for activists and terrorists, and someone "springing" a test on us like this, would get pummeled by most of us.

Oh and I do not care about how "good a guy" he was, he screwed up, and there are plenty of good guys who cause problems.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinden

His main crime is stupidity.

Stupidity is not a crime.

I don't believe the school ASKED for his help,

And the school also did not see him as a threat.

I KNOW most schools are on the edge, and might just react. Given the last shooter was known to the school.

What shooter was known to the school?

I might be a little less tolerant than others as (a) I'm a permanent resident not a citzen, and understand consequences and (b) Work in an industry where we actually DO have to worry about terrorists (chemical manufacturing, mainly pharmaceuticals). We get to train for activists and terrorists, and someone "springing" a test on us like this, would get pummeled by most of us.

I think firefighters and paramedics also worry about terrorists, and that was probably one of the reasons he decided to check if his child and and the rest of the people in that school would know how to react in such emergency.

Anyway.. You are right, he is a dumb as$.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join